for all those of you who always wanted to have german sure type but didn't know how to...
    i figured it out.

you'll need the firmware from the german vodafone page (vodafone.de/hilfe-support/blackberry/138365_139026.html (as i have less than 10 posts i can't post the actual link)) and the firmware you want to use.

now you have both on you computer, you have to navigate to the firmware folders (on xp:C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files).

it would be best if you open those in seperated windows.
    then open in both the java folder and copy from the german firmware all files which end with de (de=german) to the firmware you'll use later.

when finished go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the vendor file.
    click the loader.exe and here you go, german appears as input language.

if you copy all files which end with de, you'll copy also the option to use german language on stuff like word mole or so. if you don't need this, just ignore it.

you wont have to load the whole firmware to your bb, it'll show you only the stuff you updated and give you the option to install german.
    check it and you're done.
    04-30-09 01:58 PM
    Thanks twisted cookie. I have spent hours searching for exactly this info.
    05-05-09 04:33 PM
    So I'm not sure I did this right, but what I was hoping would happen is that I could just type and say if i wanted an o-umlaut just hover over o until o-umlaut popped up and select that.

Right now i have no choices to do that. Did I misunderstand?
    05-20-09 11:08 PM
    So I'm not sure I did this right, but what I was hoping would happen is that I could just type and say if i wanted an o-umlaut just hover over o until o-umlaut popped up and select that.

Right now i have no choices to do that. Did I misunderstand?

actually this is also possible without taking the way I described. like you described you only have to hold the o button, not klick, and then wait until the � pops up, there are also other characters. sometimes you have to be a bit patient.
    and if you install german you will also have the �, which you didn't have before.

i hope i answered your question.
    05-21-09 03:09 AM
    See, I'm not sure when it disappeared for me. I remember having it in the past.

It is either:

1. Shrink-a-OS deleted it somehow and even when I install a new OS it resets the settings of when I shrank and gives me no special characters.

or

2. The leaked OS's got rid of the special characters.

Because I have nothing but o's or a's or u's when I hover.

Edit: Actually I found out something that is even more annoying: It is only in SMS where I cannot get the special characters to show up. I mean, it is literally in every other place you can enter text into besides an SMS. even MMS has it but I don't really like using them.
    Last edited by froboebel; 05-21-09 at 09:48 PM.
    05-21-09 09:25 PM
    See, I'm not sure when it disappeared for me. I remember having it in the past.

It is either:

1. Shrink-a-OS deleted it somehow and even when I install a new OS it resets the settings of when I shrank and gives me no special characters.

or

2. The leaked OS's got rid of the special characters.

Because I have nothing but o's or a's or u's when I hover.

Edit: Actually I found out something that is even more annoying: It is only in SMS where I cannot get the special characters to show up. I mean, it is literally in every other place you can enter text into besides an SMS. even MMS has it but I don't really like using them.

Ok, that is really strange.
    Did you try to wipe your phone completely, like with crackutil, in this forum are some great tutorials.
    And then put the os on?
    I have to say I'm clueless. It never happened to me before.
    I'm sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD