In the camera options there is a setting for geotagging photos. I couldn't find any documentation on how this works. I even tried taking photos with GPS on & GPS in emergency only but could not see any geotagging properties on the photos.

Does anyone have information on this feature?
    11-23-08 12:15 PM
    The BOLD has this same feature. I THINK it stores the location data with the photo just like it stores the date, time, and camera settings. When you view the pic on a computer you can see the pic data. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    11-23-08 12:19 PM
    when you take a picture pay attention to the bottom right.. itll show you the gps status
    11-23-08 12:25 PM
    The BOLD has this same feature. I THINK it stores the location data with the photo just like it stores the date, time, and camera settings. When you view the pic on a computer you can see the pic data. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    www.

flickr.com/photos/mjbuzby/3029098233/meta/
    11-23-08 12:29 PM
    i cant post links as i dont have 10 posts yet
    11-23-08 12:30 PM
    Thanks everyone. From the PM I got and your responses this is how I think it works:
    - You must have Options > Advanced Options > GPS turned to Location On (can't be E911 Only).

- You must have Geotagging turned on in the Camera Options.

- You will see a red bulls-eye in the bottom right of the camera screen if geotagging & gps location is on but it can't get your location. That will turn to white if/when it has your location.

When viewing the photos in thumbnail you will see a globe icon at the bottom of the screen for geotagged photos. When viewing a photos properties it will read Geo Tagged.

I have not been able to view the actual coordinates on the phone but I am guessing they are there if I were to upload to a website or view on my computer.
    11-23-08 12:50 PM
    I just get a red bulls eye with a red x next to it... I'll try it out in some other locations though, maybe GPS just can't get me here in my office.
    11-23-08 01:05 PM
    Verizon users can not use this feature, correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-08 01:43 PM

With the Storm we are able too, they unlocked the GPS. I tried Geo Tagging yesterday and it works. You can click menu when looking at a picture and it will give you the option of showing you on the map where you took the picture.
    11-23-08 01:51 PM

Only with a Storm right now.
    11-23-08 02:36 PM
    I have my gps setting set to on but there is no option in the camera settings to set up geotagging. What am I doing wrong?
    12-09-08 01:42 PM
    my one gripe with this is it can never seem to pick up a location indoors, rendering a good chunck of my pics to not being tagged
    12-09-08 01:47 PM
    I have my gps setting set to on but there is no option in the camera settings to set up geotagging. What am I doing wrong?
    it's right there in camera options under "color effect" and above "store pictures"

Geotagging>> enable/disable
    12-09-08 01:51 PM
    Sorry, found it. I must've been blind for those few seconds.
    12-09-08 03:22 PM
    So I have a related question. I have successfully geotagged photos (only works line of site to satellites I believe), and was able to see geotagged images on my BBerry map. However, when i upload them to Flickr it did not take the lat long data from the image file (visible via flickr photo details). I uploaded the image indoors so I couldn't select the location "where I am at.." option in the BB flickr uploader but I would have thought the embedded image data would have been enough? I'll try it again later with the "where I am at.." set but tell me if I am wrong about not being able use the data already present. Thanks. Mike.
    12-09-08 03:28 PM
    my one gripe with this is it can never seem to pick up a location indoors, rendering a good chunck of my pics to not being tagged
    Thats GPS sats on a cell phone for ya!
    12-09-08 04:24 PM
    I have a problem with geotagging. I have been able to do it, but the only way I can get the satellite to pick up my location in the camera is if I open up BB maps, find my location, then go back to the camera.

Yes I have GPS enabled, location ON, and location aiding enabled.
    Yes, I turned on GPS in the camera settings.

Is there any way to get geotagging to work without having to open up BB Maps first? The camera is slow enough the way it is, let alone having to open up a separate app just to get geotagging to work.
    12-22-08 04:18 PM
    I have a problem with geotagging. I have been able to do it, but the only way I can get the satellite to pick up my location in the camera is if I open up BB maps, find my location, then go back to the camera.

Yes I have GPS enabled, location ON, and location aiding enabled.
    Yes, I turned on GPS in the camera settings.

Is there any way to get geotagging to work without having to open up BB Maps first? The camera is slow enough the way it is, let alone having to open up a separate app just to get geotagging to work.
    I am interested in this as well. Has anyone got a fix for this?
    12-28-08 11:42 PM
    I am not able to get it to work properly on Flickr at all but on my SmugMug page it works perfectly fine and shows up on my map.
    Anyone else having the same issues with Flickr or even Picasa (have not tried yet but someone else I thought mentioned it was an issue earlier).
    12-29-08 12:20 AM
    Thanks for the info! I am having problems with it concerning flickr.
    12-29-08 12:35 AM
    For those using Flickr. I have yet to get the "Use my Location" to ever get it, but now that I got the geotagging working on the pics themselves, I find that I can log on to the actual Flickr site, and when I click "Add to Map", it shows up in the correct location by default, I simply have to save that as the location. So the data is coming through, it's just not being initially set or something.

EDIT: I upload them from the Storm, then log into the site on a PC to edit/finalize the location.
    12-29-08 01:38 AM
    I am interested in this as well. Has anyone got a fix for this?
    Yeah i'm having the same issue but I use google maps to locate me 1st. Its annoying having to do this with every photo you want to geotag. They should have made the bulls eye target a click able button like the camera one in the middle rather than just a status icon...

01-04-09 04:54 AM
    So I have a related question. I have successfully geotagged photos (only works line of site to satellites I believe), and was able to see geotagged images on my BBerry map. However, when i upload them to Flickr it did not take the lat long data from the image file (visible via flickr photo details). I uploaded the image indoors so I couldn't select the location "where I am at.." option in the BB flickr uploader but I would have thought the embedded image data would have been enough? I'll try it again later with the "where I am at.." set but tell me if I am wrong about not being able use the data already present. Thanks. Mike.
    Mike, try changing your preferences in Flickr. I played around enabling the GPS options there and then it worked great. Pretty cool technology, take a photo, upload to the 'net, and be able to see exactly ( and I mean EXACTLY) where you were on a map.
    01-04-09 05:28 AM
    Finally I found what I have been looking for. Flicker did not upload with geotags like many of you found out.
    The new app iTookthisonmyphone takes care of it. I allows you to upload directly to picasa and others. There is a glitch (Ithink) with Flicker (unable to enter userid and password).
    You can go on walks, jogging, biking etc and take geotagged pictures directlly from iTookthisonmyphone (accesing camera from the options menu, just make sure camera geotag feature is on).
    It is a great free app.
    Sorry, because I am new, this forum would not allow me to post the web page. (silly!). Just google it.
    02-02-09 01:02 AM
    Works well with google maps and iPhoto on the mac... WHEN I can get it to geotag a picture...
    02-08-09 07:45 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD