Storm on VZW, .75 release hw 19502-002
    I set "Geotagging" to "Enabled"
    I took a picture.
    I emailed to my picasa account.
    No lat/lon exif data.

I fired up BB maps to make sure that the GPS was working, no problem.
    Weatherbug can get my location as well (does it use the gps?)
    VZNav works fine.

Did a search in this forum, found this thread
    (http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/fli...-storm-105352/)
    where a user says that picasa worked for them.

Any suggestions?
    12-18-08 08:19 AM
    Boink!
    Just found this on the interwebs
    "If geotagging is enabled, GPS coordinates will be embedded into all pictures that are taken, provided a GPS signal has been acquired before the picture is taken. If a GPS signal has been acquired, the target icon in the bottom right hand corner of the camera screen will turn white. "

AHH, I need to verify the icon next time...
    12-18-08 08:22 AM
    I want to also mention noone has had luck with it working outside of the bb that I know of..

I have verified that when you geotag it will show up on your bb maps but I haven't heard of a picture being geo in other apps..

like picaso.
    12-18-08 08:24 AM
    noaim,
    then allow me to be the first to tell you that I got it to work.

I went into VZNav
    Acquired my location
    quit VZNav
    went to camera, the target was white.
    took a photo and sent it picasa
    the location was there.

There must be a way to do it without first going into VZNav, now that I know that its capable of working, I will try other methods.
    12-18-08 08:30 AM
    noaim,
    then allow me to be the first to tell you that I got it to work.

I went into VZNav
    Acquired my location
    quit VZNav
    went to camera, the target was white.
    took a photo and sent it picasa
    the location was there.

There must be a way to do it without first going into VZNav, now that I know that its capable of working, I will try other methods.
    Have you found a better way?
    Thanks
    12-28-08 11:45 PM
    I have not gotten it to work on flickr but I have it working on my SmugMug page with the exact same picture.
    I do not understand at all.
    12-29-08 12:16 AM
    I can confirm that if I enable gps in BB Maps and then go to Camera (with geotagging enabled in Camera Options) that it's there clear as day when I look at the exif data in Photoshop.

After that, it would show anywhere that knows how to read the exif properly as long as it hasn't had its metadata mangled somewhere in the meantime.

Kind of strange that it has this rather esoteric functionality working and can't even take a stab at recording the shutter speed correctly. Shutter speed is always 1/10th of a second or some arbitrary incorrect number like that. Not to mention the whole camera is utterly useless anyway (for anything other than "see, I really was there/got a picture" proof).
    12-29-08 12:31 AM
    I don't have a problem with the photo quality. Once I realized that the sound effects have nothing to do with what the camera is actually doing, my pictures started coming out better.

As for lat/lon.
    I can NOT recreate it, let alone come up with a better work flow. Sometimes if I just give the phone a nice clear view of the satellites for a minute or two, then I get the lat/long, sometimes not. I have not had time to test with .85 tho, maybe today.
    12-29-08 07:56 AM
    ive never had to open any map applications before taking a picture to get the gps coordinates.

I just have to wait a bit to get a lock.

How do the pix show up in bbmaps?
    12-29-08 08:54 AM
    how long does it usually take to get the lock?
    12-29-08 09:32 AM
    it depends on where i am. sometimes 10-20 seconds sometimes it wont lock at all
    12-29-08 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD