Ok, so this is bugging me!
    That damn gap between the bottom of the screen and the menu button seems to appear in some pictures yet not exist in others.

Here are two examples (there are plenty more)

Does it exist or not?
    09-24-08 02:35 PM
    I think the picture in the second frame is formatted smaller than the screen size. Maybe not?
    09-24-08 02:38 PM
    Bob, you are correct. The picture in the second image is not full screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-08 02:41 PM
    It looks like the 2nd image was a photochop? just my buck O five
    09-24-08 02:44 PM
    Ok well here is another pic of the Storm with a gap. So now the first picture that I posted and this one are both directly from Verizon but both look a little different.
    09-24-08 02:49 PM
    Question is, are *any* of these actual screen shots. Marketing if funny that way. Good chance they photoshopped a pic and laid it over a black screen and just filled up the whole area, including, perhaps, a gap between the screen and the buttons. And if the gap is there, it's an engineering thing. It's some hardware that has to be there underneath so you can't put buttons or screen over the top of it.

09-24-08 02:57 PM
    Maybe try to go back to the ninja video and see if you can see any difference?? just a thought.
    09-24-08 03:01 PM
    Question is, are *any* of these actual screen shots. Marketing if funny that way. Good chance they photoshopped a pic and laid it over a black screen and just filled up the whole area, including, perhaps, a gap between the screen and the buttons. And if the gap is there, it's an engineering thing. It's some hardware that has to be there underneath so you can't put buttons or screen over the top of it.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It was just bugging me that every other picture would have the gap or wouldn't!
    09-24-08 03:01 PM
    Its a little hard to tell but this is a image from the video. It appears that the gap is there.

09-24-08 03:06 PM
    that gap is haggard
    09-24-08 03:16 PM
    Just think if it as a thumbrest guys
    09-24-08 03:25 PM
    I never thought I would say this, but I wish the Verizon logo is placed in that gap The only reason why I say this is because it would look stupid with just a big gap there. Then again, maybe it won't look so bad in person.

Can't wait til this thing is released!
    09-24-08 03:37 PM
    in that powerpoint thing that verizon sent out there is a picture of it with a much smaller gap i think its the one with the labeled diagram
    09-24-08 04:28 PM
    see look at that theres a small screen after all just like the voyagers and dare wastfullness i say
    09-24-08 04:53 PM
    It may look like they are wasting screen space, but if they didn't have hardware under there that had to be hidden then that section of the phone wouldn't be there at all. The screen would be 3.25" no matter what (or obviously whatever size they wanted it).
    09-24-08 05:01 PM
    Theres a reason for the gap. Go back and look at the minute w/Mike vid. you will see there are touch icons when in a certain mode. Just check out the vid.

Stop the vid at :54 seconds and you can see ther are icons there.
    What are you talking about? I have the video paused at :54 and all I can see is a gap between the screen and the physical buttons.
    09-24-08 05:45 PM
    in the words of achmed, the dead terrorist -- "holy crap!" --guys, this phone isnt released yet, quit whining about little things like this until you actually have it in your hands. i'll bet you wont really even notice it once you have the device in your hands. and if you do, so be it. if you think it's wasted space, or RIM didnt do their homework and design this phone right, guess what. who's been at this game longer... you or them? you loose, sorry.
    09-24-08 05:48 PM
    in the words of achmed, the dead terrorist -- "holy crap!" --guys, this phone isnt released yet, quit whining about little things like this until you actually have it in your hands. i'll bet you wont really even notice it once you have the device in your hands. and if you do, so be it. if you think it's wasted space, or RIM didnt do their homework and design this phone right, guess what. who's been at this game longer... you or them? you loose, sorry.
    Umm... The only thing that bugs me is that photos of the phone show it having the gap or not having the gap. It is not the gap its self that bugs me.
    09-24-08 06:06 PM
    It has the gap in all the pictures where the edge of the screen is actually a flat line and not edited in photoshop to give it the feathered soft look. It also has the gap in the Minute With Mike and Brew Ninja video. I can 99% guarantee you there will be a gap. If not, Verizon has some extremely horrible, misleading advertisement techniques.
    09-24-08 06:17 PM
    For people who are worried about the gap shouldn't worry too much. If you look at the video of the Brew Ninja showing the Storm, it really doesn't look that bad.
    09-24-08 06:28 PM
    in the words of achmed, the dead terrorist -- "holy crap!" .
    Love the Jeff Dunham quote saw him last year. Excellent!

09-24-08 09:00 PM
    this gap is 100%, definitely there. In all pics of the device with the gap, the screen is at exactly a 3:4 ratio, which is the confirmed ratio. When it's pictured with no gap, the screen is pictured as being too wide.
    09-24-08 11:27 PM
    Love the Jeff Dunham quote saw him last year. Excellent!

I will NOT ask if you people are my 72 virgins

09-25-08 12:53 AM
    Old pic, but the screen size/orientation would not have changed. I have lightened it up a bit so you can see the line where the bottom buttons start, kinda... Taken from here.

Edit:
    I just noticed the hidden Vodafone watermark in the image above. Anybody else see it, or is it just me?

Interesting...
    Last edited by Shooperman; 09-25-08 at 08:04 AM.
    09-25-08 07:45 AM
    I don't see it.
    09-25-08 08:19 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD