today my son was watching a movie on my storm while we were driving and long story short, he vomited on the phone like he was aiming for it.

i have disassembled it and cleaned it as best i could. i actually couldn't find anything inside it when i opened it. the problem i'm having is the storm will boot fine and appear to run apps properly, but the 4 function buttons at the bottom of the screen are wacked. they seem to no longer do the function they are meant to do. for instance, the end call button does what the blackberry button should do, the blackberry button works sometimes and sometimes does what the send button should do, the go back button sometimes goes back, but usually acts like the blackberry button. how screwed am i?
    11-22-09 04:34 PM
    oh man, I'm sorry but I absolutely LOL'ed at your first line

sounds like you're kinda screwed...but it's probably worth bringing it to where you bought it to see what they think
    11-22-09 05:29 PM
    i bought if from amazon in the week where they dropped the price to $50 right before verizon did..
    11-22-09 05:38 PM
    well then, you're not out a lot of $ at all, which is good...I'd just get a new one...obviously there's the frustration of having to set everything up again, but at least you didn't pay retail!
    11-22-09 05:40 PM
    Sorry about the phone. I hope your son is okay!
    11-22-09 05:56 PM
    well i just left to take the boys to their mom's. i left it apart on my desk while i was gone and just put it back together and the buttons seem to be functioning normally.. i'll keep you guys posted.
    11-22-09 05:56 PM
    lol nope not out much, but to get another one to replace it... i just signed my contact in august.. i have to upgrade to a family plan and add another blackberry for my wife. i'm going to see if they'll let me get the buy one get a few free deal since it's technically a new contract. when i tried the upgrade on the website it wouldn't let me select a replacement for my bbs1
    11-22-09 05:58 PM
    my son is fine. lol. my youngest just got over a week long stomach bug, but this was my oldest. it had to have been something he ate. he had just had snacks at my aunts like 20 minutes prior and 2 minutes after we got his clothes off he said he was 100%. lol
    11-22-09 05:59 PM
    Is there a barfbag app? lol
    I bet there is one for the other phone...
    11-22-09 07:25 PM
    i have been using the phone and it seems like the 4 panel buttons work intermittently. i am also seeing some slight blue tint streaks on the lower third of the screen. i hope verizon will let me upgrade to a new 2 year family plan with the buy one get one deal. this phone is shakey at best.
    11-22-09 08:41 PM
    Is there a barfbag app? lol
    I bet there is one for the other phone...
    Thats just wrong .. funny .. but oh so wrong .. lol
    11-22-09 08:45 PM
    With a story like that Verizon will probably hook you up. They have something they call (I believe) alternate upgrade. They do it for people who don't have insurance. You get the 1 year contract price, but your 2 year contract restarts. It's an optional thing, so they don't HAVE to give it to you, but I think with that story they would do it.
    11-22-09 09:42 PM
    ok it worked somewhat normally most of the day, though it has developed an odd mottled background, almost like moisture between the ts glass and the lcd. towards the evening the app buttons started acting funky again and then the buttons started firing off on their own accord. apps opening and closing, phone dialing, like a kid was sitting there pushing buttons without a clue wtf did what. after 3 or 4 battery pulls and a reboot with the same symptoms, the phone quit booting at all. on battery the LED blinks slowly. pushing the buttons usually has not effect. once in a while the app buttons will light up, then shut off and back to the slow blink. plugged in via USB, it shows the square bootstrap clock, but no progress bar and never goes past that.

i talked to verizon and the best they will do for me is 1 year contract pricing with a 2 year contract renewal. i can switch in a plain verizon phone and drop the blackberry data on this line, upgrade to a family share plan, get the 2 year pricing with the 2 year contract on the 2nd line, and get a 3rd blackberry free... at 16.98 per line with the usage limits option and a free phone with unlimited text, i think the kids are getting cell phone for christmas, im just short 1 phone for my diabolical plan to work the system... lol. it's really the only option that makes sense though. i can't even find a s1 on ebay for less than $150 without a contract. an s2 is ridiculous.
    Last edited by mlwartman; 11-24-09 at 12:05 AM.
    11-24-09 12:03 AM
    sounds like moisture, put it in a bag of uncooked white rice and leave it overnight, the rice will draw out the moisture
    11-24-09 07:12 AM
    I edited the title a bit and expanded it.
    11-24-09 07:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD