I've never owned a BB and I really want to love this Storm, as I was so looking forward to buying it. I just seem to be so confused on it's navigation. It seems other phones have simple one touch operation to get around it's different features. A friend just showed me her Instinct and it was laid out so easily, mostly on the browser links to popular websites with big, clear logos, easy to read, not like the BB bookmark or history page which is just a text list. Also had one touch operation icon for radio channels, another for tv viewing etc. I know the Iphone has similar features. Am I just not getting how to personalize my Storm. Can I do all these things too. It just seems it takes 3 or 4 click operations compared to one touch on some other phones. I want to keep my Storm but I am so frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Guess, what I'm trying to say is if/where are the shortcuts? Sorry if these naive questions.
    12-06-08 02:54 AM
    You can customize the apps you want on your home screen. You can also use folders to make access to the most important apps easy to get to. Install the youtube app to give you access to streaming video. Also you may want to look into third party themes once they start coming out as there will be tons of those allowing all different types of home screens.
    You could try opera mini or wait for opera mini/firefox written for the storm.
    You can also assign any app you want to the side convenience keys..
    12-06-08 07:27 AM
    in very simple newbie terms explain how I go about doing something like this. Having a YouTube icon on my home screen sounds like a great one touch operation. I'm just not sure how do set it up. The "how to" of downloading apps to my phone seems so foreign to me at the moment.
    12-06-08 09:47 AM
    There are two primary ways to get applications on the phone. Install from the computer or install over the air.

Any application that end in .exe can be installed on the computer, then you transfer from the Desktop Manager software.

Any application over the air is done through the applications link already on your phone OR by going to a link in your browser, usually ending in .jad (so if you see that you know it is an install).

Here is the challenge - the phone is a new version of BB. There are not a lot of aps ready for it yet. AND please remember that it took Apple 8 months to have an ap store. I do not know if youtube is ready - do a search up top and you may fnd it here. Also use the search button to find other aps you are thinking about.
    12-06-08 09:54 AM
    The reason the Storm is less intuitive than other touch screens is because the Storm is a touch screen phone built around a non-touch screen operating system/UI - RIM built the phone around the Bold's operating system more or less, whereas phones like the iPhone and Instinct had the operating system built around a touch screen phone - the OS was custom for touch screen phones.
    12-06-08 10:44 AM
    Really since when was OSX made for touch screens?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 11:39 AM
    The phone isn't that unintuitive.. you just have to learn how to move things around.

When you download programs and install them you'll find the icons in your "downloads" folder. Go to the folder and select the program icon.. click the BB button and select "move" you then can put it wherever you'd like.

If you want your new icon on your home screen, put it in your home folder.

If it's a game and you want it with the rest of your games, move it to the game folder.

Or, create a new folder.. it's pretty easy.

Once you have your icon in the folder you want. You can navigate to that folder from the home screen and then select it, click the BB button, then click "move" you can now move it anywhere in the folder you want by clicking around. Try it! Once you have it where you want it, click the BB button again and select "finish move".

I actually like that there are more "layers" than on the iphone. The iPhone to me seems to be just pages of icons and no way to customize and consolidate things. I like that I can have a 'games" folder with as many icons as i want.. and so on.

It does take some time to learn though! So far, I love it!
    12-06-08 12:14 PM
    is I'm still unsure of myself of how and where to find those things that are important to me to download. I so wish I wasn't so new to all this. It has taken up so much of my time. Wish Verizon held classes or something. Their online tutorials seem so basic that it doesn't really cover much. I'll search again for basic steps on downloading but I really need it in a basic step by step instruction. You guys on here are fantastic.
    12-06-08 12:42 PM
    Awesome post on moving icons. I downloaded a program before and couldn't find the icon....my bad, I had the downloaded folder hidden so didn't think to look there. Thanks for the instructions, very helpful!
    12-07-08 04:37 PM
    Getting used to it just takes a bit of practice I felt like it was to much when I first got it this being my first blackberry but everything seems to fall into place with time.
    You get more of a desktop computer feel if that makes sense due to the menu system but I find it a pleasure to use

12-07-08 04:48 PM
    is I'm still unsure of myself of how and where to find those things that are important to me to download. I so wish I wasn't so new to all this. It has taken up so much of my time. Wish Verizon held classes or something. Their online tutorials seem so basic that it doesn't really cover much. I'll search again for basic steps on downloading but I really need it in a basic step by step instruction. You guys on here are fantastic.
    Most downloads can be done OTA. You can find the links on here to a ton of Apps that you can download (check the stickies) Most of the links take you directly to the app download where you click a link and it bring you to the download screen which downloads the app. After download the app will even prompt you to run the app. Note as mentioned already in this thread the new app will be in the download folder where you can then move it to any folder you like
    12-17-08 09:10 PM
    Yeah if you've never used a BB before the learning curve becomes a bit higher.

You'll get the hang of it.

12-17-08 09:14 PM
    This is my first bb as well. I am loving all the multi media tools and have espn, myspace, and streaming fm radio along with my mp3's at my disposal. The only thing that discourages me is the fact that I replaced my first phone that had screen problems, loss of memory causing reboot, unable to answer with screen touch, but most of all the phones sound quality was horrible. I got a new one yesterday, and all the problems except the phone quality have been addressed. A new one is on it's way. Any advice? Are there actually storms out there that have a good quality phone while using the headset?
    12-17-08 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD