Well after reading a few threads a while ago about how sometimes on the top of a txt it would say 160 1/6 or whatever (like it does on dumbphones) i kept an eye out for it to see if it would come up again. well needless to say i have found out when it comes up. If your service bars (in the top right) displays SOS then the multiple page txt messaging function will magically appear. i have tried this on more than one occasion and it has always worked. just wanted to let everyone know and sorry if this has been posted again.
    05-18-09 09:12 PM
    Well after reading a few threads a while ago about how sometimes on the top of a txt it would say 160 1/6 or whatever (like it does on dumbphones) i kept an eye out for it to see if it would come up again. well needless to say i have found out when it comes up. If your service bars (in the top right) displays SOS then the multiple page txt messaging function will magically appear. i have tried this on more than one occasion and it has always worked. just wanted to let everyone know and sorry if this has been posted again.
    What?????????????
    05-18-09 09:16 PM
    Uh. If you're seeing sos, you haven't enabled some magical multi page work around........... You have no service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-09 09:19 PM
    yeah this was figured out a longggg time ago.

but yeah basically anytime the device is NOT on the verizon network, it will display 160/1 for texts.
    05-18-09 09:20 PM
    oh boy am i that bad at explanation.....my apologies. Ive seen a lot of people, me included, complain about the fact we can only have 160 characters in text messages while regular cell phones like an Lg or Motorola can break the text into multiple pages and send them out all at once. Well our blackberry has the ability to do this but it has been restricted and someone else, before this, has found this hidden capability. Well i found out how to reproduce it
    05-18-09 09:20 PM
    oh boy am i that bad at explanation.....my apologies. Ive seen a lot of people, me included, complain about the fact we can only have 160 characters in text messages while regular cell phones like an Lg or Motorola can break the text into multiple pages and send them out all at once. Well our blackberry has the ability to do this but it has been restricted and someone else, before this, has found this hidden capability. Well i found out how to reproduce it
    This makes less sense than your op. Why not just compose a solely text based mms? No character limit.

05-18-09 09:24 PM
    This makes less sense than your op. Why not just compose a solely text based mms? No character limit.

very good point right here, or if you have cool friends who have BB's hop on BBM, or if they dont, send them an email if you have that much to say!
    05-18-09 09:26 PM
    very good point right here, or if you have cool friends who have BB's hop on BBM, or if they dont, send them an email if you have that much to say!
    Agreed. The boy and I only email each other from our blackberries. We never text due to the character limit. Works great for us.

05-18-09 09:29 PM

Well, in my case because a couple of my coworkers have data blocks on their plans, and can only receive SMS and not MMS? There ARE reasons to use SMS over MMS. Of course, being a Blackberry user, I usually just email them anyways.

EDIT: And by the way, what the OP is saying makes alot of sense. Alot of devices on VZW support "enhanced text messaging" which means large messages are split up into multiple smaller messages for incompatible devices. It appears that the Storm has this capability too, but not when connected to the Verizon Wireless network. I've wondered the same thing alot of times, as my LG Voyager had this capability, and I had taken it for granted that a device like the Storm would, too.
    Last edited by Dave12308; 05-18-09 at 09:34 PM.
    05-18-09 09:31 PM
    Well, in my case because a couple of my coworkers have data blocks on their plans, and can only receive SMS and not MMS? There ARE reasons to use SMS over MMS. Of course, being a Blackberry user, I usually just email them anyways.
    Mms is not a data service. It is simply a multi media message.

05-18-09 09:34 PM
    Beyond160 will correct this issue as well.
    05-18-09 09:34 PM
    why pay for a service when cheaper, less feature rich phones have this ability???
    05-18-09 09:37 PM
    Beyond160 will correct this issue as well.
    Another thing that should be a feature, NOT an app.
    05-18-09 09:38 PM
    why pay for a service when cheaper, less feature rich phones have this ability???
    Meh. If I have that much to say, ill just call you.

05-18-09 09:40 PM
    Still waiting for the how to do this??

Hmmmmmm......

LOL
    05-18-09 09:40 PM
    Meh. If I have that much to say, ill just call you.
    No way, Jen-ay. I use my phone for reading news, emails, IM's, BBM and SMS/MMS, GPS, a few games, CB, and even some excel... but never as a phone!

People still call people these days?
    05-18-09 09:44 PM
    No way, Jen-ay. I use my phone for reading news, emails, IM's, BBM and SMS/MMS, GPS, a few games, CB, and even some excel... but never as a phone!

Exactly, when I get a call on my BB I usually just hit ignore
    05-18-09 09:50 PM

rofl. I like that response. cuz it doesn't seem like they do.
    05-18-09 09:51 PM

Hey. I never said how often I have that much to say.

05-18-09 09:53 PM
    just FYI, MMS is a data service on blackberries...there is a service book that is required for it to work...and they're sent through the RIM servers as well as carrier network...
    05-18-09 10:01 PM
    just FYI, MMS is a data service on blackberries...there is a service book that is required for it to work...and they're sent through the RIM servers as well as carrier network...
    Hmm. This would definitely stand to reason seeing as the mms service book is present ; however, then how is it possible for BlackBerry users who are on carriers that do not require data plans and opt not to have one to send mms?

05-18-09 10:10 PM
    Hmm. This would definitely stand to reason seeing as the mms service book is present ; however, then how is it possible for BlackBerry users who are on carriers that do not require data plans and opt not to have one to send mms?

sorry, i forgot to mention that this example was for VZW. idk how other carriers use mms or what they do to enable/disable the service, etc.
    05-18-09 10:22 PM
    When it says SOS, your storm is no longer connected to Verizon's network, but AT&T's, thus allowing you to make 911 calls and such. I guess a side effect of this is the ability to send multiple messages a la AT&T style.
    I mean, I've heard that text messages are a great way to communicate someone in the event of a disaster, but I didn't know they work on other carriers' networks. . .
    Can anyone confirm?
    Hmmm. Food for thought.

05-18-09 10:24 PM
    sorry, i forgot to mention that this example was for VZW. idk how other carriers use mms or what they do to enable/disable the service, etc.
    Hmm. I'd be interested to know exactly how this carries across for all carriers. Interesting point. Thanks for bringing it up.

05-18-09 10:29 PM
    yvw...hope it helps fix some stuff...
    05-18-09 10:30 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD