To All:

I have Verizon Wireless (no comment) and currently have a Blackberry Curve 8330. I am available for upgrade with Verizon, and have been following this STORM, or as some say "iPhone Killer".

My question is - Should I swap for the Storm right away? I'm kind anxious about the first touch screen model, there could be bugs, whatever. I know and I love Blackberry and RIM, but I'm still cautious.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    JT
    10-01-08 09:45 AM
    Why don't you wait until it's out and then test it out in store. If it appeals, give it a try. If you hate it within the first 30 days, you can return it and go back to your Curve. Nothing gained, nothing lost.
    10-01-08 09:46 AM
    JRS is right. However, it does stand to reason that most first generation products, no matter what the industry, have small bugs that need to be worked out. It's the same as any transition year vehicle - there will always be issues. Keep in mind that you will have a one year warranty, and 30 days to return the phone if it doesn't work out.
    10-01-08 09:48 AM
    I do plan on buying an extended warranty on it... while the clickety screen sounds cool I don't know what the longevity on something like that would be...
    10-01-08 10:14 AM
    If you have the $5.99 insurance package on your line, that extends the manufacturer warranty to 2 years instead of 1 on any device on your line.
    10-01-08 11:10 AM
    If you have the $5.99 insurance package on your line, that extends the manufacturer warranty to 2 years instead of 1 on any device on your line.
    Exactly, even without the insurance you the phone is still warranted.

It's the same as any transition year vehicle - there will always be issues.
    Sorry, Jen, I love 'ya, but this is old school logic. A good manufacturer is a good manufacturer. I'd have no problems buying a completely new design Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord, or even a brand new model from Honda or Toyota.
    Last edited by hal1; 10-01-08 at 03:48 PM.
    10-01-08 11:18 AM
    I'd have no problems buying a completely new design Toyota Corolla or Honda Accord, or even a new model form Honda or Toyota..
    I like this sentance. :huh?:
    10-01-08 11:24 AM
    I wasn't aware that paying the monthly insurance extended the manufacturer warranty. How is that different from just taking it in because it doesn't work right, whether it be 1 yr or 5 yrs? Insurance covers it regardless as long as you pay the monthly insurance rate, correct?

Other than, like my wife who's insurance got cut off because of two claims in one year. She washed her Pearl and lost the Chocolate (which she hated). I assume it can be re-instated once her year has lapsed.

Of course VZW insurance is off topic but may prove helpful to some when it comes to the Storm. After all this is going to be a pricey little jewel at full retail.
    10-01-08 11:28 AM
    Pholey,

Just a little bit of extra info. talking from experience, you can also get your insurance back on your wife's phone but you have to buy a new phone in order to get it. If your wife's account is elegible for an upgrade then that would be the way to go.
    10-01-08 11:37 AM
    I like this sentance. :huh?:
    Hehe, it took me a minute to understand what he was saying, too.

Well, Hal, I suppose we shall agree to disagree. For example, the 98 Accords (a transition year obviously) had several issues, and it was not until the 2000 emerged that we saw fixes for these. I won't go into details, but trust me, having owned several different years of Accord, I know this. Anyways....
    10-01-08 11:42 AM
    Hehe, it took me a minute to understand what he was saying, too.

Well, Hal, I suppose we shall agree to disagree. For example, the 98 Accords (a transition year obviously) had several issues, and it was not until the 2000 emerged that we saw fixes for these. I won't go into details, but trust me, having owned several different years of Accord, I know this. Anyways....
    You're absolutely right, Jenaywins. And if you really search the reports on the number of problems (almost all manufacturers are doing well these days after a car has been produced for a while), you will see that almost every "all new" model suffers a higher number of problems than an established or cosmetically redesigned model. Part of the reason is that it takes time for the assembly line crews to get a rhythm established.
    10-01-08 01:33 PM
    I like this sentance.
    I like this sentence.

There, fixed that for ya!
    10-01-08 01:44 PM
    Part of the reason is that it takes time for the assembly line crews to get a rhythm established.

Agreed.. those robots are real slackers when you give them something new to do
    10-02-08 06:30 PM
    Back to topic...

Never owned a BB before, but definitely intend to get this one. But what is BB's track record w/ 1st Gen models? or is this something I should wait a few months after initial release for? or even a 2nd gen?
    10-06-08 09:50 PM
    I wasn't aware that paying the monthly insurance extended the manufacturer warranty. How is that different from just taking it in because it doesn't work right, whether it be 1 yr or 5 yrs? Insurance covers it regardless as long as you pay the monthly insurance rate, correct?
    All new devices come with 1 year of warranty. That means that within that first year, if the device has some kind of failure that's not considered damage by the user, the device is replaced. After 1 year, if you have regular insurance ($4.99), the device is no longer replaced without paying a deductable of $50 per incident. With the $5.99 insurance, the manufacturer warranty extends to 2 years meaning that as long as it's not a damage failure, you don't pay anything for the replacement and Verizon rather then Asurion sends you the replacement. That's my understanding of it anyway.
    10-06-08 10:58 PM
    hey look at it this way. this is no doubt a first gen touchscreen from RIM, and there may be some small kinks (although RIM usually has a good track record). but looking at how RIM releases products, the second gen touch screen probably won't come out until at least two years from now. and what happens two years from now? NE2.
    10-06-08 11:09 PM
    i have to disagree with you guys on the whole first gen car waiting for the next year. This is not old logic. Cars and Cell Phones are a completely different thing. But they do cross some parallels. For instance, the first generation of a new model of car or refresh that is released is not necessarily going to be buggy but it most definatly will have problems. they fix them the next year but not only do they fix the problems, they add new features that customers might demand in the refresh. Now when your talking about a cellphone, a car is something that ridiculously more complicated then a cellphone. theres a smaller margin for error. these things are thoroughly tested as are cars but these things are thoroughly tested. The only thing i would worry about is maybe OS complications. The only things ur going to see on the newer blackberry storm are going to be improvements not mainly corrections of problems.
    10-06-08 11:14 PM
    To All:

My question is - Should I swap for the Storm right away? I'm kind anxious about the first touch screen model, there could be bugs, whatever. I know and I love Blackberry and RIM, but I'm still cautious.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
    JT
    Actually, I may one of the few people that have faith in VZW customer service, but in the past, when I had a phone that ended up having a bug/defect that wasn't able to be corrected by software, VZW has replaced my device no questions asked.

So, my advice is keep watching here for issues and if something does arise, I am sure the CB members will let everyone know what the issue is and how to fix it.
    10-07-08 08:00 AM
    Oh, but half the fun is IN the first generation little quirks.
    It's good for memory-lane with other peeps who have similar equipment.

Like those fancy 30" Apple displays that had a weird yellow-pink-tinge to them, when they first came out?
    Oh, Man- hey, Jimmy-you remember when you blew a bucket-load of cash on one of those things, and we all laughed when it took you 3 months to prove its defective-status and get a new one? Ah, good times Man, good times.

(Always get a little extra warranty coverage if you can afford it). especially first-gen products.

-2 cents-
    10-07-08 08:54 AM
    All new devices come with 1 year of warranty. That means that within that first year, if the device has some kind of failure that's not considered damage by the user, the device is replaced. After 1 year, if you have regular insurance ($4.99), the device is no longer replaced without paying a deductable of $50 per incident. With the $5.99 insurance, the manufacturer warranty extends to 2 years meaning that as long as it's not a damage failure, you don't pay anything for the replacement and Verizon rather then Asurion sends you the replacement. That's my understanding of it anyway.
    You will get it from "Verizon" but most of the time if you're out of the first 30 days you are going to get a refurb. we do about 5-10 warranty replacements a week. we did them so much we now have our own agent at Verizon that handles all our warranty replacements. he said pretty much all they send out are refurbs.
    10-07-08 09:50 AM
    You will get it from "Verizon" but most of the time if you're out of the first 30 days you are going to get a refurb. we do about 5-10 warranty replacements a week. we did them so much we now have our own agent at Verizon that handles all our warranty replacements. he said pretty much all they send out are refurbs.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but... no kidding. I know they are refurbs, I think everybody does. The only time you get a new one is if you've had 3 refurb replacements back to back within a 3 month period. Then they give you the option to get a new one of the same type or switch to another phone of your choice. Of course, there's always the constant direct complaining that one can do to executive relations which usually ends with something new.
    10-07-08 09:59 AM
    i have to disagree with you guys on the whole first gen car waiting for the next year. This is not old logic. Cars and Cell Phones are a completely different thing. But they do cross some parallels. For instance, the first generation of a new model of car or refresh that is released is not necessarily going to be buggy but it most definatly will have problems. they fix them the next year but not only do they fix the problems, they add new features that customers might demand in the refresh. Now when your talking about a cellphone, a car is something that ridiculously more complicated then a cellphone. theres a smaller margin for error. these things are thoroughly tested as are cars but these things are thoroughly tested. The only thing i would worry about is maybe OS complications. The only things ur going to see on the newer blackberry storm are going to be improvements not mainly corrections of problems.
    Well drrrr, no one was saying that cell phones and vehicles were the same thing. Last I checked, my Blackberry can't take me through rush hour traffic and get me to work on time.
    10-07-08 10:04 AM
    Well drrrr, no one was saying that cell phones and vehicles were the same thing. Last I checked, my Blackberry can't take me through rush hour traffic and get me to work on time.
    Well....if u have VZ Navigator...its definatly a possibility
    10-07-08 11:45 AM
    If you want to wait the 2nd generation touch screen BB, you are going to be waiting all the time. Because there will always be better products in the future. Just get the storm when it comes out. Official announcement will be out tomorrow. Can't wait.
    10-07-08 11:51 AM
    Just to clarify here are your insurance options

None: Obvious

1.99: Extended manufacturers warranty, so free replacement after the first year if it's deemed manufacturers defect.

4.99: Accidental Coverage Only - If anything happens to the phone outside of the manufacturers ONE year warranty **this one is not extended** then you can pay $50 to have it replaced up to two times in a 12 month period. At that point your insurance is removed. This DOES not include breaking it intentionally just to get a new one, **unless you lie and no VZW rep see's you.** Although most don't care, it is something to be said because people are childish. So if you don't like your phone, don't go into the store, **** off the rep, then break your phone in front of him, because he can then document your account and flag it to asurion that it is NOT an "accidental" incident.

5.99: Included Extended and Accidental - The best choice imo. I am not going to debate insurance with people because not everyone feels the same way. You are rolling the dice on IF something happens. Guarantee this phone full retail will be at least 450ish, so 5.99 to ensure that I either get it replaced for free, or a maximum of $50, sign me up!
    10-07-08 01:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD