i'd say block incoming calls and sms while you're visiting, and add int'l data plan, and email/bbm everywhere you go. have people sms your email address if they don't have epic communcication devices like us. thats what i'm doing this summer when i visit europe.
    So by adding the international data plan it only includes email/bbm... not calls???

Do you think BBM would still work without getting the international data plan???
    05-15-09 08:11 AM
    You should call the VZW global support (800) 711-8300 before you leave and confirm they have the correct SIM number for your phone!

While you at it, you can ask if they would unlock your SIM slot just in case you need to get a throw away card while your over there. It just gives you options but the VZW SIM works well too.
    05-15-09 08:31 AM
    So by adding the international data plan it only includes email/bbm... not calls???

Do you think BBM would still work without getting the international data plan???
    Like your domestic plan, it's split into voice and data. My understanding is this...

$65 a month extra gives you unlimited international data. Voice calls are in the neighborhood of 1.99 a minute. For an extra $5 you get intl data, but the voice calls are now .99. The best part is the plan is prorated. So you go for a week, pay just for a week, ($17 bucks or something)
    05-15-09 09:55 AM

int'l data plan = data...sorta self explainatory i thought. sorry if i was misleading

BBM will work without the int'l data plan, you'll just be charged per MB at a roaming rate. why would you not want the int'l data plan anyway?
    and why so many questioin marks? is all this new and exciting? sorry, i've known so much of this for so long its boring and old to me
    05-15-09 10:45 AM
    The upgraded data plan was $28/mo for me. For $4.99/mo you can lower your call rates in Germany from $1.29 to $0.99 but that doesn't make sense since I don't plan on making any calls or at least not 15 minutes worth. I have Magic Jack to use with my computer so calls to/from the States will be free. Text messages (including the text part of MMS) are $0.05 incoming and $0.50 outgoing. I do have VZ Navigator, so it will be interesting to see how that works.
    05-15-09 10:53 AM
    VZ Nav won't work on non-VZW home network coverage, you'll have to use google maps or something.
    05-15-09 10:56 AM
    Intl data plan + tetherberry + laptop w/ skype = very cheap communications...

too bad there is no skype app that uses data to make calls on our phones!
    05-15-09 11:05 AM
    I have Google Maps 3.0.2, so I should be covered. Skype is suppose to be coming to BB soon but Tetherberry and Magic Jack will have to do for this trip.

And GO BEARS...class of '79
    05-15-09 11:20 AM
    you're set up stealth.
    05-15-09 11:23 AM
    you're set up stealth.
    I better be...my plane leaves in the morning
    05-15-09 11:25 AM
    and you called VZW and told them and they got the plan change and you got the confirmation email or txt stating that it was added?
    05-15-09 11:28 AM
    and you called VZW and told them and they got the plan change and you got the confirmation email or txt stating that it was added?
    yes, though it was a "future" order. I plan on calling again later today to double confirm.
    05-15-09 11:39 AM
    good idea. make sure it's added on before you go to sleep tonight.
    05-15-09 11:49 AM
    and why so many questioin marks? is all this new and exciting? sorry, i've known so much of this for so long its boring and old to me
    No my ppinky finger stutters a little bit with I typppe with it. I use my pppinky to typppe question marks (???).
    05-15-09 12:03 PM
    ttttttoday, junior!!!
    05-15-09 12:08 PM
    Hi all.. I'm leaving for Asia in two weeks.. I just had vzw unlock my phone and they told me they will add international data plan the day before I leave. I put on my friend's sim card from tmobile and att and they both work on my phone. Here's my question.. If I get a local sim card in asia, can I just swap the sim card and still use the international data plan side by side? Do I need the vodafone sim to get the data plan to work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-07-09 10:52 PM
    Hi all.. I'm leaving for Asia in two weeks.. I just had vzw unlock my phone and they told me they will add international data plan the day before I leave. I put on my friend's sim card from tmobile and att and they both work on my phone. Here's my question.. If I get a local sim card in asia, can I just swap the sim card and still use the international data plan side by side? Do I need the vodafone sim to get the data plan to work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I believe you need the original SIM card to get the data.
    06-08-09 12:03 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD