As someone who got their Storm today I can relate to what you're saying Sherbert, the gap around the screen can be a bit daunting (must remember to take the leather holder everywhere I go!!) and the comments regarding the sluggishness of the OS. However I found uninstalling the Vodafone Live! sofware (which runs in the background) made a HUGE improvement to the speed and stability of the OS. Might be worth trying that before you swap it out for a Bold

GlenJ
    What exactly does Vodafone Live supposed to do ?

Has anyone else uninstalled it ?

Also my experiences for initial software OS is that it does in fact improve quite well. The BOLD got released with .92, and if you ask anyone that's on .185 at the moment what the difference is and they would say the difference between the earth and the moon. So hopefully newer OS's can help.
    Last edited by Ash_786; 11-14-08 at 07:30 PM.
    11-14-08 07:27 PM
    The best way I can describe what Vodafone Live! is, as a second Browser that takes you straight to a Vodafone mini-site where you can get news and download (read: Pay) for premium content such as music etc.

When you hold down the BB button it brings up a menu very similar to the windows Alt-Tab menu, (which I assume) indicates what software is running and the VF Live! is always visible, no matter how hard I tried to manually close it :S

It may be mere coincidence that my problems went away when I removed it, but we all know how Flaky carrier software can be. Anyone who's ever bought a Nokia N series from Orange will know what I mean.
    11-14-08 08:01 PM
    The best way I can describe what Vodafone Live! is, as a second Browser that takes you straight to a Vodafone mini-site where you can get news and download (read: Pay) for premium content such as music etc.

When you hold down the BB button it brings up a menu very similar to the windows Alt-Tab menu, (which I assume) indicates what software is running and the VF Live! is always visible, no matter how hard I tried to manually close it :S

It may be mere coincidence that my problems went away when I removed it, but we all know how Flaky carrier software can be. Anyone who's ever bought a Nokia N series from Orange will know what I mean.
    So it's like VCast?
    11-14-08 08:21 PM
    CX are you allowed to let us know how much of a differance the .72 software is compared to the newer ones? I have had the ability to use 3 different versions and it has made alot of progress from the first I've used. Still alil slow but imo its usable. Still wondering how much has been done since the os I played with.
    11-14-08 08:28 PM
    cant you store the apps on the memory card to prevent the slow response on the os
    11-14-08 08:41 PM
    I have a curve on Verizon and have many issues with the earpiece going out after receiving some Picture messages with Audio. VZW says they are waiting on RIM to provide them with a software update to fix this issue. To correct, I have to take the battery out and replace it waiting on the phone to reset. Just powering down and back up does not fix the issue. However, it still kicks the I-phones arse in the business world.

Today, I was over at one of Verizon's Corp offices with a couple friends who work there, and the Storm is absolutely amazing. It was fast, seemed very reliable, and looked as if it was going to allow more productivity.
    Remember, all phones have issues, we all know that. But the difference is can they be fixed, and within a reasonable amount of time. The answer is yes with BB devices, and it seems no with the I-phones. They have been out for a while and they still can't even get them to sinc with our corporate calendar info or task lists through our server. BB's are great, and even all other mobile devices sinc without issues. I phones are nice, but typically for those who WORK FOR people who are carrying BB's. If you want a toy, buy a toy. If you want something to enjoy the new technology, and not worry about the $, new agreements, or when your new 2-yr is up. Get the BB, get to work, be productive, and stop Bit**ing! Most of you make me sick with your constant whining, the ones who understand that with new technology comes patience and constant improvement, I applaud you.

P.S. The company I work for has over 34,000 employees, and over 26,000 of them are on smart phones. RIM is always providing better solutions and increasing their customer base with us. I-Phones are now beginning to make good paperweights and a secondary to the PSP for playing games.
    Last edited by gabpersonal; 11-14-08 at 08:45 PM.
    11-14-08 08:42 PM
    OK, played for a bit longer now:

The device is awesome - beats an iphone hands down, it is quick enough (most of the time) once you remove the vodafone rubbish and while it has crashed once or twice it is brand new and a new OS upgrade will sort that!

Typing is a dream, yes I am still making a few mistakes but I am getting pretty quick and the keyboard is well laid out. Not much of my software works properly, my two favourite Pocket Informant and Antair are usable, but only just (Antair is better) but a quick updated will sort that - and I have sent on some feedback to both!!

The device feels great, it is big, but does not feel it and to the touch it is very nice - solid and smooth!!

Sync worked once I installed the DM software, 4.7 on the CD did not install, but 4.6 from the web was fine.

The screen and sound are amazing, vibrant and clear and the camera is pretty good too - I use it at work, to take pictures of white-boards to email to people after meetings - it was the best in the room!

So that is the reasons why you should get one, now the reasons I am swapping it for a Bold.

Silly stuff first - don't like the case and the fact it uses a different USB - hardly a reason to swap but annoying.

While the screen is massive, you actually end up with a smaller screen than on my curve (while typing) because the keyboard takes up so much room that the bit you look at is smaller - true once programs understand this, they might get updated with the storm in mind, but not good in my book.

If you look up a name in the contacts horiz you only get 2 lines which is not good for quick selection and when you hold it upright you seem to have to use multi tap and not sure-type (but that must be a setting, even though I cannot find it yet)

The screen swaps occasionally when you don't want it to and overall the experience is exciting rather than professional.

I would love to have two phones, a storm to play with and a Bold for the serious stuff - I need to be able to txt while walking to the station, possible with both as you can use the Storm in one hand, but because you have no feedback on the keys you have to look at the keyboard, something that is only necessary every 4 or 5th key on a curve (and I hope Bold).

So what is my recommendation.....

TRY IT YOURSELF!!!

If you want a cool phone with everything on it and the ability to send the odd email - by the storm you will not be disappointed, however you are looking for a communication device (the main reason RIM was born) then I hope it will be the bold, I have been using a curve for a year and am sold on BB now want to upgrade. The Storm is excellent in almost every way, but the tiny little annoying things are the things I love about the Curve.

I know this has been a bit confusing, but I hope that I have not put anyone off, but have also made you try it in store before you part with your cash, unless like me you have 14 days to return it.

Have fun!!

Simeon.
    11-16-08 04:42 AM
    I have 4.7.0.65 for those interested.

I tried to isntall 4.7 DM but would not work, said a file was corrupted, went to the web and could only find 4.6 but installed well and worked.

NOTE: Always install your current DM - they do not clear up after themselves and do not work together.

The gap around the outside is not massive, but it is there - it will not be a problem, until dirt gets in there - you can clearly see it (if you move the device about) as the light from the LCD shines through.

My Advice - get insurance!!
    11-16-08 04:49 AM
    honest it depends how the device was developed about eh gap. There could be a chance its sealed by something before it gets inside and the light you see comes from the side edge of the screen.

Its not necessarily a problem yet =)
    11-16-08 05:00 AM
    For what it is worth - having now played with the machine for a few more days, I might end up keeping it - it is not perfect, but very good - and with the hardware I am sure the software (os & Apps) will be improved to take full use of it.
    11-18-08 05:37 AM
    This is exactly what I see everywhere.
    People are b!tching about it at first, come back on it a little the second day and eventually after a few days they fall in love with it and take the little problems for granted, as updates will come soon enough
    I think it is great, since I am sure I will have the same thing.
    After two winmo phones and a whole lot of regular phones before that, I know I will have to get used to it.
    But the fact that it is just a piece of art and a beautifull piece of technology makes sure this will be a keeper.
    If the build quality is good enough to last my 2 year contract, no problems!
    11-18-08 07:53 AM
    Hi , i had a curve which i now swapped for the Storm. the 1st day hated it as it would freeze, apps were slow , typing was awful and accelerator was standing still. I got a new storm, which is better, i am getting used to the typing now, apps seem to be better. Is a completely diff phone from curve, so will take time to get used to. I do miss the shortcuts on the curve-but will try to get used to it. I actually like it a heck of a lot more than the other day. To be fair the curve would freeze as well and i hated that when i first got it. So hopefully i will get used to it, just the typing is kind of strange to get used to. At least i cant text and drive now!!! I think this will take getting used to and the updates should make a difference, not sure when they are coming? Anybody??? Another thing to master is copy and paste , oh and the web thingy cursor etc, now that is hard!!
    11-18-08 05:47 PM
    I hate it......,I luv it.
    I'm takin'it back......,I might keep it.

Comes down to this....what Smartphone comes out perfectly and doesn't have simular issues like battery drain,slow Os, gaps and sh.t like that.

When updates are available...and the mor e people come with tips as Glen did (dumping vodafone live) the phone will be more and more close to perfection.

which I must say RIM did a nice job!

The Iphone is the Iphone and has its pro's and con's.

The Storm 9500/9530 is the Storm and has its pro's and con's.

the best reviews comes from users.
    So keep it coming the good the bad ..the tips and tricks.

and something else It won't change my mind...

I'm sooo excited and I think i like it. I'mo loose control.....that's what i'll be singing these days...lol
    Last edited by vincenttanakiam; 11-18-08 at 07:06 PM.
    11-18-08 07:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD