I am trying to send a text message and I am 5 and 1/2 lines into it. Now every time I try to add to it, I get a "field full" notification. Certainly I should be able to send a longer text message?
    11-24-08 01:28 PM
    I am trying to send a text message and I am 5 and 1/2 lines into it. Now every time I try to add to it, I get a "field full" notification. Certainly I should be able to send a longer text message?
    SMS text can be up to 160 characters. Have you reached that limit? I don't think any SMS parameters changed with the Storm, but I could certainly be wrong.
    11-24-08 01:35 PM
    yep. 160 characters. blackberries dont auto-split into multiple messages. would be nice if a 3rd party app did this though.
    11-24-08 01:41 PM
    Well, that's clear enough. I suppose if I email to [email protected] that there is not a limit.
    11-24-08 01:51 PM
    Jb-Sb, I noticed the same thing. That's weid because I know for sure that you can type much more than that on the Curve.
    11-24-08 02:09 PM
    Some people will send a MMS instead of SMS as it has a much higher number of txt that it can send (you don't have to include a picture/video with MMS)
    11-24-08 02:26 PM
    My Curve with Verizon (8330) would not let me type more than 160 characters either.
    11-24-08 02:34 PM
    I am having the same issue, I had a Curve with AT&T and I could type a novel... now I gots 5 lines... what a POS this storm is turning out to be....
    03-24-09 02:12 PM
    Verizon has it blocked so you can't type more than 160 characters, although on many dumbphones it automatically splits the texts up into two/more messages.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 03:01 PM
    I hate only having 160 characters available to type... I know some bb's/service providers let you type as much as you want and just roll it over to another message... wish i had that. This is really my only complaint about the phone/service.
    03-24-09 03:55 PM
    same prob here on telus....

not really bothered by it though

i mean it would be nice if it cut the sms for you, but it would also be nice to have full flash support in browser, a xenon flash for the camera, full photo editor, divx/xvid playback, etc etc
    03-24-09 04:12 PM
    Im pretty sure all Blackberry's are programmed to only fit 160 characters and thats never changed.
    03-24-09 04:34 PM
    you can always just send it as a mms instead of a sms...
    03-24-09 04:40 PM
    It's a nice feature if you don't have unlimited texting, but it bothers me too...I could go past it when I was overseas on another network. I believe people using Storms on other networks in the US can do it too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 04:51 PM
    Here is an old but good thread ont he matter:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...erizon-103667/
    03-25-09 09:25 AM
    it does get frustrating when you typing and go to say one additional thing and its a full field. i fully understand when someone says send an mms, email or pick up the phone. most of the time the problem is your responding to an sms from someone on a different phone who your having a conversation with. while we all look for aps and short cuts for less key strokes responding to an sms with an mms isnt an option that i can find. if i had to pick one thing i dislike about my phone more than any other that would probably be it
    03-25-09 09:31 AM
    I am having the same issue, I had a Curve with AT&T and I could type a novel... now I gots 5 lines... what a POS this storm is turning out to be....
    It's only an POS to you. Mine is the s***. Got hooked up on .113. Don't be scared. Plenty of threads on how to upgrade. I'll even help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-167458/

.109 is very stable. Pin me for more help if you like.
    03-25-09 09:42 AM
    It's only an POS to you. Mine is the s***. Got hooked up on .113. Don't be scared. Plenty of threads on how to upgrade. I'll even help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/of...thread-167458/

.109 is very stable. Pin me for more help if you like.
    how will upgrading resolve their complaint of the 160 limitation on sms?
    03-25-09 09:45 AM
    If you have that much to say wouldn't a traditional phone call that last 2-3 mins get the job done just as easily? Part of the problem with todays culture is the fact that we have lost the personal touch of picking up the phone and saying hi. Everyone wants to send a short novel via SMS which is not what the system was designed for. Just in case anyone doesn't know SMS stands for Short Messaging Service. Not Long Messaging Service.
    03-25-09 09:47 AM
    Yep I was speaking to a VZ cust service rep. She loved the phone but because she was a big texter and it didn't have wrap around text she sent it back
    03-25-09 09:57 AM
    Yup its good for like 2 short sentences. =\
    Wish there was a way to get around it. Really only thing I dislike about my storm.
    03-25-09 10:16 AM

What an ***** this storm owner is turning out to be.

The curve on verizon is the same way, as is the pearl.

Oh, and there's about 8 different OS's out after .75...feel free to try one, instead of complaining about it in your sig.

(can you tell I'm a little sick of the storm bashing trolls? maybe?)
    03-25-09 10:17 AM
    If you have that much to say wouldn't a traditional phone call that last 2-3 mins get the job done just as easily? Part of the problem with todays culture is the fact that we have lost the personal touch of picking up the phone and saying hi. Everyone wants to send a short novel via SMS which is not what the system was designed for. Just in case anyone doesn't know SMS stands for Short Messaging Service. Not Long Messaging Service.
    Wah wah... When I'm at the office, waiting at the doctor's office, watching the previews at the movies, etc, it's far more convenient--and far less rude--for me to pound out a text message than to scream into my phone, if only for a brief moment. And what if I have unlimited texting, but limited minutes?

People love text messaging. Spare us your opinions on our cultural failings.
    03-25-09 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD