Hi...
    Im not going to hijack anyone's thread and so making a new thread with my questions. I just got a new Blackberry 9530 this week and this is FIRST EXPERIENCE with Blackberry OS, so I should be posting some vague idiotic questions as well. So, please bear with me.

Ok here are few questions:

1. Storm has 2 modes, LANDSCAPE and PORTRAIT. But that PORTRAIT hardly works always, even if you hold the phone sideways. Is there any magical part on the phone, which we can touch to make it sense and happen ?

2. I have inserted a 4GB SD card , but I dont know, where to go and see, whats the memory status . Where can we check that ?

3. Storm comes with a lot of apps and lets say, we are not closing apps many times and just click MENU and go back, then that means, the Apps are still running on the background. Where can we check that, what apps are still open and how can we choose and close all from there ?

4. Which place do we go to edit the Active profile settings, message tones, etc etc ?

5. Do Storm have themes compatibility ? Can we get any free themes from anywhere to test, how it works ?

6. How do we install apps into the Storm ? From Desktop manager ?
    02-23-10 01:07 PM
    1) Just make sure you turn the phone fully, and sometimes slowly, until it recognizes what you're trying to do. That's what's worked in my case when it was not working.

2) Go to options (on the front screen full menu, looks like a wrench) and then about. Application memory is the free space available for applications and themes, etc, media card is the SD card.

3) Hold down the Blackberry (key next to the green phone) and you will get a row of applications that are open. The phone, home screen (looks like a house), browser (looks like a globe), Blackberry messenger (looks like a word bubble) and messages (envelope) will always be open. the others, click on them, then when in the application hit the Blackberry key again, scroll in that pop-up menu to the bottom and click Close.

4) On the front screen (home) on the top there is a picture like a speaker, click that to change profile settings and tones.

5) They do, check the Theme forum on Crackberry (scroll down on main page of Forums). Note: some themes cause a memory leak with the Storm.

6) Either Over the Air (OTA) or with the Desktop Manager. What apps are you thinking in particular?
    02-23-10 01:19 PM
    All these questions can be answered in two places. Search this forum or look through the owners manual.

1) not too sure what you are asking here
    2) Options --> memory
    3)Hold down the Blackberry button
    4)Options menu
    5)Yes, search the forum
    6)Yes, search the forum
    02-23-10 01:21 PM
    2) Go to options (on the front screen full menu, looks like a wrench) and then about. Application memory is the free space available for applications and themes, etc, media card is the SD card.

Does that mean, we cant install apps, themes, games, tones etc on the Micro SD card, which has 3.86GB free ??

My Application memory is showing 38MB only. Whats the matter ?
    02-23-10 01:44 PM
    You can have ringtones/music/pictures/videos on your SD card, but you cannot install games/themes/apps to it.
    02-23-10 01:48 PM
    Ok.
    So, my Application Free space is shwoing 38mb only.
    As far I knowm it comes with 1 Gb inbuilt memory. Where did the other 990 MB go ? :O
    02-23-10 01:50 PM
    The Operating System (OS) takes space, as well as other needed systems to run the phone. You will never get the full 1 GB memory free. If you'd like more memory, search here for steps how to maximize space/shrink your OS.
    02-23-10 01:51 PM
    Incorrect, the 1 gig on board is like an SD card. The Storm has 128MB of application memory, which is where the OS resides as well as your applications: That's why its so low. You can search around to see ways to increase the available memory though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 02:19 PM
    I didn't know Aircel carried the 9530.....

Which OS are you on by the way?

Go to Options (the icon not in the menu) and select about...it will tell you the number and the platform number....
    02-23-10 02:20 PM
    I didn't know Aircel carried the 9530.....

Which OS are you on by the way?

Go to Options (the icon not in the menu) and select about...it will tell you the number and the platform number....
    He bought it from a mystical "Online Shop". He requested his original thread to be closed so he could start a new one... This guy is absolutely clueless about what the Storm itself is, and bought one without prior research.

Now back on topic, can our Joomla & Magento developer, who also is CEO and Managing Director at QubeSys Web Solutions, tell us what they want from their BlackBerry?

Obviously he is trying to research options for developing for the BlackBerry Storm, as he also stated in his earlier thread that he owns an iPhone...
    02-23-10 02:32 PM
    More 5 questions :

1. I downloaded 2 themes, .jad files. Now, how do we install them ? There is no option in Desktop Manager to load themes.

2. Bluetooth is acting crazy. Its getting paired , but when I try to send something from my other phone, it says, SENDING FAILED . I have tried more than 10 times. It works fine for other phones, but just not this Storm. Anything im missing ??

3. Is there anyway, we can have RING + VIBRATE mode?

4. While typing anything on the keyboard, how can we take our cursor from from one place to other other ? Same touch or any key is there ?

5. How to browse the folders of the Media Card from the phone ? Lets say, I put some files on DOCUMENTS folder on Media card. Where can I see on phone ?

6. I have around 1200 contacts on my Nokia phone . I can take their backup in VCF format. How can I copy all that 1200 contacts to my blackberry ? Any easy way ?

Last edited by soamz; 02-24-10 at 02:00 AM. Reason: more points added.
    02-23-10 10:34 PM
    1. You click application loader, and select the .jad's.

2. You have to open Media, hit the BB Menu, and select "RECEIVE USING BLUETOOTH".

3. Yes, BerryBuzz and some other third party apps enable this, as well as upgrading your OS to 5.0. Otherwise, no you can't.

4. I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but as the whole phone is SurePress, you just click where you want to go.

5. Under applications there should be a Files application. Due to the possibility this might be an OS 5.0 thing, also try Media > Pictures or Music > BB Menu > Explore folder. That will open up access to the Media Card.

6. If you have Outlook, Exchange, Mail, Address Book, or some kind of third party application on your computer that can back it up in a different format, try one of those. the .VCF file will not work with a BlackBerry, to the best of my knowledge.
    02-24-10 03:41 AM
    1. JAD files are used for OTA downloads. You must access these files from your BlackBerry Browser. Desktop Manager will allow installation of ALX files only, which in turn are descriptions of the software you are going to install (the actual software is stored in COD files, sometimes in multiple CODs). Alternatively to the OTA (Over The Air) approach, you can use this software to be able to install your themes via Desktop Manager: Blackberry OTA downloader | download free OTA themes to your desktop

2. Before sending a file from another device to your BlackBerry, you must first go to the Media application on your BlackBerry, press the BlackBerry button and choose Receive Using Bluetooth. Once you have done this a popup window will appear waiting for a Bluetooth connection. Now you can send the file from the other device to your BlackBerry.

3. It is possible, but requires OS 5.0.

4. Touch (and press) the screen at the position you want to move the cursor to.

5. Go to the Media application, press the BlackBerry button and choose Explore. You will see Device Memory and Media Card, choose Media Card. From there you can access your documents folder.

6. Use the Desktop Manager to invoke the Switch Devices wizard. It will help you get your contacts transferred form your Nokia to your BlackBerry.
    02-24-10 03:47 AM
    1. You click application loader, and select the .jad's.

ANSWER : Dont think, thats possible. I already tried. It only allows ALX or ALI.

2. You have to open Media, hit the BB Menu, and select "RECEIVE USING BLUETOOTH".

ANSWER : Ok just tried and it worked, but I dont know, where did it save my tones, which I received. Even it dint show up in the TONES list of MEDIA.

3. Yes, BerryBuzz and some other third party apps enable this, as well as upgrading your OS to 5.0. Otherwise, no you can't.

ANSWER : Ok, are you sure, if I upgrade to 5.0 , then it will have that feature inbuilt ?

4. I'm not quite sure I understand your question, but as the whole phone is SurePress, you just click where you want to go.

ANSWER : Yeah, it has got a bad sensitivity, I just realised. Anyways.

5. Under applications there should be a Files application. Due to the possibility this might be an OS 5.0 thing, also try Media > Pictures or Music > BB Menu > Explore folder. That will open up access to the Media Card.

ANSWER : It worked . Thanks.

6. If you have Outlook, Exchange, Mail, Address Book, or some kind of third party application on your computer that can back it up in a different format, try one of those. the .VCF file will not work with a BlackBerry, to the best of my knowledge.

ANSWER : AH, thats too bad. And those contacts are names and phone numbers . So, I need someway to transfer all of my contacts from my Nokia phone to this Storm.
    02-24-10 04:39 AM
    1. JAD files are used for OTA downloads. You must access these files from your BlackBerry Browser. Desktop Manager will allow installation of ALX files only, which in turn are descriptions of the software you are going to install (the actual software is stored in COD files, sometimes in multiple CODs). Alternatively to the OTA (Over The Air) approach, you can use this software to be able to install your themes via Desktop Manager: Blackberry OTA downloader | download free OTA themes to your desktop

ANSWER : Thanks. Worked.

2. Before sending a file from another device to your BlackBerry, you must first go to the Media application on your BlackBerry, press the BlackBerry button and choose Receive Using Bluetooth. Once you have done this a popup window will appear waiting for a Bluetooth connection. Now you can send the file from the other device to your BlackBerry.

3. It is possible, but requires OS 5.0.

ANSWER : Thanks. Will try.

4. Touch (and press) the screen at the position you want to move the cursor to.

ANSWER : ok.

5. Go to the Media application, press the BlackBerry button and choose Explore. You will see Device Memory and Media Card, choose Media Card. From there you can access your documents folder.

6. Use the Desktop Manager to invoke the Switch Devices wizard. It will help you get your contacts transferred form your Nokia to your BlackBerry.

ANSWER : Umm, not sure, how we can do that. Ok,let me try once. Thanks again.
    02-24-10 04:42 AM
    You can actually use VCF and import it to your BlackBerry with the use of 3rd party software. Try this: How to Transfer Address Book to Blackberry Phone | eHow.com
    02-24-10 04:58 AM
    Definitely check that out. I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about any Symbian software or Nokia phones, I just assumed bb's couldn't use .vcf files. Sorry about the misinformation!

02-24-10 05:50 AM
    yeah bro, Im going to try Ski's above link now and post my results.

Definitely check that out. I'm not going to lie, I don't know much about any Symbian software or Nokia phones, I just assumed bb's couldn't use .vcf files. Sorry about the misinformation!

02-24-10 05:53 AM
    haha, Ski :P

You can call me afro if you want (yes, that's me in the avatar )
    02-24-10 05:58 AM
    While charging the phone, the backside gets very hot and the backlight of the phone remains always ON .

Is that normal ??
    I assume, this kill the battery life. Can anyone suggest, how to tell Storm to get its backlight switched off while charging ??

An pointer ? @ Afro bro
    02-25-10 06:59 AM
    I want to add this to my SMS Signatures,

Sent from my Blackberry�

So, I choosed AUTO TEXT trick to get this done. But from where can I get the � symbol in Blackberry ??
    02-25-10 08:13 AM
    And I found one very very irritating thing. Not sure, if im missing something.

Ok here is it,

Lets say, im typing a SMS,

" I became so numb, I can feel you there"

Now, after typing this, I want to goto the first word's cursor,
    I

But there is no way to do that.

I have to tap the screen, but it always selects the 2nd or 3rd word.

How can we exactly move it to needed position ??
    02-25-10 08:20 AM
    to SMS?

All of that will be included in the 160 character limit, just so you're aware.

And I don't how to get the rights reserved symbol, but hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
    02-25-10 08:21 AM
    yeah, I know.
    Mostly my SMSes are one liners.

And yes, can we do it this way :

Blackberry has that signature for their emails. So, can we edit it by going to that settings and copy that R from from there and paste it here in our Auto text panel ??

Possible ??
    How do you COPY PASTE in Storm ?

to SMS?

All of that will be included in the 160 character limit, just so you're aware.

And I don't how to get the rights reserved symbol, but hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.
    02-25-10 08:24 AM
    And I found one very very irritating thing. Not sure, if im missing something.

Ok here is it,

Lets say, im typing a SMS,

" I became so numb, I can feel you there"

Now, after typing this, I want to goto the first word's cursor,
    I

But there is no way to do that.

I have to tap the screen, but it always selects the 2nd or 3rd word.

How can we exactly move it to needed position ??
    Press on the screen until you get a blue box, and slowly drag until you get to the spot you want to be.
    02-25-10 08:24 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD