I just purchased a Verizon Blackberry Storm, previosly owning a Palm Treo. Few qustions, is there a way to send a SMS text that is more then 160 characters, on my old phone it would send as 2 or more texts when over 160 characters. Also is there a way to make my SMS texts from the same person combine as 1 text message and not seperate text for each message? Almost like a IM would would like, and if not can you make my text in a bolder font and texts from others in a different font or boldness, to easily tell them apart.

Also not sure if I should stick with the Storm, read alot of reviews by people not liking the Storm and going to the Tour instead. What are your thoughts?
    09-27-09 07:32 PM
    No, you can't send longer than 160 without an app. But for the IM-esque SMS, upgrade to a 5.0 of .191 or higher. If you're not comfortable upgrading to unofficial software, then you are stuck with the texting as it is.
    09-27-09 07:35 PM
    I personally love my storm.

for the 160 characters, the storm does not automatically make more than one message, you will have to get an app for your phone called Beyond160. If you search the forum I am sure there are links to it.

As above, to get SMS to combine (thread) you have to upgrade your OS to 5.0. it's not a native thing to the storm.
    09-27-09 07:36 PM
    It works pretty well on the Storm(the threading) so its worth the upgrade if you choose to do it.
    09-27-09 07:38 PM
    Beyond160 is available in the CB app store for about $6 I think. If you text a lot it's worth it, but I got it for deal of the day for like 3 something and still haven't used it.
    09-27-09 07:39 PM
    Thanks everyone for responding so quickly, can I upgrade my OS from my Blackberry, or is this something I need to do on a computer and load onto my Storm, also what else will this upgrade change on my phone.
    09-27-09 07:45 PM
    have to do it on a computer, if you look in the Storm OS discussion there is a step by step guide
    09-27-09 07:46 PM
    Will void my warranty and such with Verizon?
    09-27-09 07:50 PM
    yup, it will.

edit: if they know you have it. if you can downgrade/don't have a problem as was said below. i forgot about that.
    Last edited by cdowner; 09-27-09 at 08:04 PM.
    09-27-09 07:58 PM
    Will void my warranty and such with Verizon?
    That's been debated, I don't remember what the consensus was, but it probably will. If you ever need help with your phone that requires Verizon to get involved, make sure you know how to downgrade your software to what is official. They will never know
    09-27-09 08:01 PM
    I'm loving my storm as well, running on OS 5.0.0.230, if you need any help feel free to had me at BBM or send me a PM, the threaded SMS is my favorite upgrade because previously It was so long to send a SMS if it was bigger than 160 caracters, now you only have to tap enter like a I'm conversation. I tought going to the tour as well, but I'm loving the screen size of the storm and how it run now on 5.0! really worth to upgrade, and you mean upgrade OS will void warranty? No it won't, however, you'll not have any support of your carrier if you have issues, because your carrier don't support this OS....

Hope this help!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-09 08:12 PM
    That's been debated, I don't remember what the consensus was, but it probably will. If you ever need help with your phone that requires Verizon to get involved, make sure you know how to downgrade your software to what is official. They will never know
    I don't think there has ever been a real answer. You just have to play it smart. No there is

No way you can brick your phone by loading a new OS to the point of no return. There is always a fix
    If by some miracle you do, then vzw wont be able to tell anyways
    If you have technical issues with your OS then come HERE first before going to VZW.
    If for some reason you do need to take your phone in then downgrade (its simple) and they will not be able to tell the difference.
    If you try to bring in a .151 or .167 they PROBABLY wont be able to tell, but still. With the 5.0 leaks they might be able to tell if they are smart enough and if they find out you're running a leak then chances are they wont help you.

Basically, you're in control. Just dont do anything stupid.
    09-27-09 08:19 PM
    I don't think there has ever been a real answer. You just have to play it smart. No there is

No way you can brick your phone by loading a new OS to the point of no return. There is always a fix
    If by some miracle you do, then vzw wont be able to tell anyways
    If you have technical issues with your OS then come HERE first before going to VZW.
    If for some reason you do need to take your phone in then downgrade (its simple) and they will not be able to tell the difference.
    If you try to bring in a .151 or .167 they PROBABLY wont be able to tell, but still. With the 5.0 leaks they might be able to tell if they are smart enough and if they find out you're running a leak then chances are they wont help you.

Basically, you're in control. Just dont do anything stupid.
    Why do you think they might be able to find that someone is running 5.0 and not 4.7?

09-27-09 08:29 PM
    Why do you think they might be able to find that someone is running 5.0 and not 4.7?

Mainly because of the bootscreen and the default theme tweak on .191+ then flick scrolling and threaded sms. It would stand out more than 4.7 would
    09-27-09 08:47 PM
    Ahhhh okay...I tought you mean like when you called CS, they can find out more easily that you're on OS 5.0...sure that the OS is sooo different than 4.7....no way i'll show it to a rep! lol
    09-27-09 09:07 PM
    Ahhhh okay...I tought you mean like when you called CS, they can find out more easily that you're on OS 5.0...sure that the OS is sooo different than 4.7....no way i'll show it to a rep! lol
    Haha I would only show my OS to a rep to brag about it! Other than that, probably not. Although there was this one story where supposedly a guy was on the phone with a rep and he did something to find out that he was running a leaked OS. It was a strange story but I have never heard anything else about it
    09-27-09 09:11 PM
    Haha I would only show my OS to a rep to brag about it! Other than that, probably not. Although there was this one story where supposedly a guy was on the phone with a rep and he did something to find out that he was running a leaked OS. It was a strange story but I have never heard anything else about it
    I've heard by doing the *228 option that logs your OS in their system, however I always do that when I upgrade/downgrade and anytime I go in to the store, they've never said anything lol
    09-27-09 09:16 PM
    I've heard by doing the *228 option that logs your OS in their system, however I always do that when I upgrade/downgrade and anytime I go in to the store, they've never said anything lol
    Same here, but no way I'll ever run again .122 the last supported OS by Telus, there's so much great OS out there!

09-27-09 09:32 PM
    I can not provide any additional answers, BUT it sounds like you got good ones. However I did expand the title to better help the next person.

......remember to ....(from our Forum Posting Rules)......

Use a Descriptive Title

This rule is simple; help us to help you. When you create your thread / post, think of it as if 'someone else' is reading it. With that in mind, make your subject lines related to the content of your post. Having a subject line of 'help' or 'now what', will not really help others later when they do a search for a particular issue. So, try to be a little more creative. Example: “My Pearl will not show myFaves icons” or “How do I use BB Maps on my 8100”
    09-28-09 09:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD