Just curious whst my fellow firefighters use their BB's for? Anything Fire/EMS related? If so, do you use any particular programs with it?

Thanks!
    03-27-09 12:01 PM
    I'm a third service (way it should be ) Paramedic and i use the blackberry all the time. I've got Epocrates for when i come across medications i don't recognize and am curious about, i have my state and regional protocols saved on here, i use it to make hospital notifications and to contact medical control, communicate with the guys on the other buses, etc.

The father-in-law is a FDNY Lieutenant and his Curve stays in his locker or at his desk in the house.

Hopefully that helps!
    03-27-09 12:09 PM
    I mainly just use mine as a duty day calendar. I try not to carry my phone on me while on duty. I'll use it around the station but I think it's rather unprofessional for the public to see guys in uniform texting, etc.
    03-27-09 12:18 PM
    I use mine mainly for killing time. The two services that I work for are pretty slow so I mess around on it alot. As far as work related I do have epocrates on it and also my protocols. Every now and then I will call report on it. We put all of our PCR's on a state website and I have tried to do them on my storm but seems to be too complicated with all the drop down boxes that are on the site.
    03-27-09 12:40 PM
    Hey bro's,

I have memo pad setup with

General report info
    Scene size up task's
    Pre incident problem documented.
    Commercial building info
    Also use the camera to document pictures of a scene.
    Calendar for training and other info.
    And Fire Dept email......

Other then that just chillin
    03-27-09 12:46 PM
    I use my Storm as a flashlight while hunting 4 survivors.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 01:27 PM
    No special "apps" for the Storm...
    I do use it to entertain my crew with music on stand by's etc...
    03-27-09 02:26 PM
    Hey bro's,

I have memo pad setup with

General report info
    Scene size up task's
    Pre incident problem documented.
    Commercial building info
    Also use the camera to document pictures of a scene.
    Calendar for training and other info.
    And Fire Dept email......

Other then that just chillin
    So you use it to buff out?

lol, just messing bro...but quick question, do you use a program to do some of those scene size-up things or do you just document it as a note?

The cool thing about the iPhone (gasp!) was that you could get apps for just about everything...i had ACLS, PALS, RSI and even an app that would record my on scene, at patient side, leaving scene, at hospital, back in service times. If i wanted, i could also get some A&P stuff as well. Hopefully with he advent of the BB App World we will start to see some hard-core public safety related apps!

Stay safe and thanks for all of your service
    03-27-09 02:27 PM
    They probly use it as a phone......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-09 02:34 PM
    Word.
    I'm a paramedic for a private service. I use mine to kill time mostly but eporcates does rule. Used to find out with a pill was on an overdose a few times now. I love this phone.
    03-27-09 02:43 PM
    I use mine mainly to coordinate my duty schedules, family schedule, and side job scheduling. With the side job, I need to take photos of the finished job and email them to the client. I have 4 e-mail accounts to sort through. The media player is great for winding down after a long day. I dont even use my ipod anymore.

I don't carry my storm on duty but have it close by during down time. Since I have 2 teens, the only way they communicte is through sms (to me a phone call makes it more personable). My wife has the curve and will shoot me a BB message now and then as not to bother me with a phone call while I am on duty.

I use the Telnav GPS Navigation for traveling to the other job sites for the side job, since I do travel to other cities and states surrounding my home state. And that is where I use the WHERE app for local info. I also use the Milage Manager app to keep track of the buisness milage for tax purposes.

I have the Storm Level for the fun of it and has come in handy a few times.
    03-27-09 05:57 PM
    Email - I think I have 6 email accounts now
    Scheduling
    Texting while on duty, especially when the public is around, 'cause I think it is very professional looking. Makes me look cutting edge too. ~laughs~
    I would use it for size ups and stuff, but I'm usually busy actually doing the size up.
    I used to use epocrates, but haven't loaded it on my storm yet. We have drug profiles on our ePCR system, so haven't messed with it.

How do you get your protocols on your storms? Are they somehow organized so you can actually find what you're looking for? I would think the book would be easier to use.
    03-27-09 08:51 PM
    It would take some time, but you can transfer or copy yur protocols or SMO onto Word or make up your own flow charts by using the organizational chart feature in Word and then transfer it through the DM and put them on your storm.
    03-27-09 09:15 PM
    I hope you guys aren't relyin on your storm for scene size up. That sounds dangerous! A good lookn on the scene approach and a walk around after exiting the apparatus should not be replaced by a device!!

Be safe and proactive out there my brothers.
    03-28-09 11:27 AM
    I hope you guys aren't relyin on your storm for scene size up. That sounds dangerous! A good lookn on the scene approach and a walk around after exiting the apparatus should not be replaced by a device!!

Be safe and proactive out there my brothers.
    Ya I fail to see how a storm would be used for scene size up...

OTHER then being on the phone to dispatch if the radio is broke...
    03-28-09 11:36 AM
    i mainly use it for epocrates
    11-03-09 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD