This is NOT the phone that will be released for AT&T. AT&T is getting a much better Storm (3G, Wifi, upgraded screen) next year.

This is going through the FCC so if people would like, they can buy over seas and have it sent to the U.S. without customs giving you a hard time.
    And by this time next year, Verizon will have Storm 2 which will be better the the At&t Storm.
    11-03-08 08:41 PM
    I have 2 question to pose in light of this information:

1: How long is the VZ-RIM exclusivity rights for 9530? I think there were conflicting reports about the term lengths.

2: Would the 9500 have to be cleared by the FCC anyway even though it's destined for Vodafone? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 9500 can be used in the US (EDGE speeds), making it a GSM "world phone" (and any telecom device that can be used here has to be FCC tested).

I pose these questions because I don't believe that VZ-RIM exclusivity agreement will terminate quickly (say in 6 months time).

Reminder: question #2 is based on what my beliefs/assumptions. You can correct me.
    Last edited by sgtmilstack; 11-03-08 at 08:52 PM. Reason: too negative
    11-03-08 08:42 PM
    And by this time next year, Verizon will have Storm 2 which will be better the the At&t Storm.
    Negative. Verizon has the Apex, Niagara, & Jupiter coming. That fills '09 up.
    11-03-08 08:44 PM
    Negative. Verizon has the Apex, Niagara, & Jupiter coming. That fills '09 up.
    Really? I thought the Super BLACKBERRY was storm 2 for Verizon. The Jupiter is just the Storm with qwerty, correct?
    11-03-08 08:50 PM
    I think what your failing to realize is that companies have relationships with each other and exclusives not only mean the network will have sole rights to the phone, but also will not allow direct competitors to compete within the same network.

**edit** also, I would like to mention, What scale of earnings do you think apple has missed out on by being with att exclusively? Where did they go first and get rejected? If att wants to keep a strong relationship with their stronghold, they shouldn't even think about the storm.
    yes they went to vzw got rejected. but in the end, the iphone is what? a TIMED exclusive. and in reality, think about it for a quick second. do you think the earnings they would of gotten from verizon would be more than having made the phone gsm and release it ALL OVER the world? what is the percentage of cdma vs gsm across the globe.

yes i understand companies sign papers not to go against each other which is why things are exclusive etc etc

but any of you remember this?

in the end not only was the Q9h was a crapload better than the Q9m/Q9c, but the motoQ was just a timed exclusive

and before any of you go bashing on me saying im a vzw hater, i use to work for vzw. **** i was working for them during the "exclusive motoq only from vzw" thing was giong on having them ring a bell in my head saying "its exclusive its exclusive, build excitement and sell sell sell"

seeing all the excitement vzw is doing right now for the storm, it really isnt new for me. yes vzw has one **** of a marketing budget
    Last edited by chinh8310; 11-03-08 at 08:58 PM.
    11-03-08 08:54 PM
    Really? I thought the Super BLACKBERRY was storm 2 for Verizon. The Jupiter is just the Storm with qwerty, correct?
    No the Jupiter is the CDMA variant of the Javelin/8900 that will run on Rev 0. The Niagara is the CDMA version of the Bold and taking the place of the 8830 WE. Apex is CDMA pearl flip.
    11-03-08 08:55 PM
    yes they went to vzw got rejected. but in the end, the iphone is what? a TIMED exclusive. and in reality, think about it for a quick second. do you think the earnings they would of gotten from verizon would be more than having made the phone gsm and release it ALL OVER the world? what is the percentage of cdma vs gsm across the globe.

yes i understand companies sign papers not to go against each other which is why things are exclusive etc etc

but any of you remember this?

in the end not only was the Q9h was a crapload better than the Q9m/Q9c, but the motoQ was just a timed exclusive
    what I remember is att on the verge of bankruptcy when the iphone and apple threw them a rope. Of course it's a TIMED exclusive based primarily on sales, and if you think att is willing to give up iphone or have any kind of complications with apple...
    11-03-08 08:58 PM
    I agree. Starting to believe that people FORGOT AT&T had to merge with Cingular in order to stay afloat.
    11-03-08 09:05 PM
    Well, since Cingular is no longer in existence I'm going to guess that it was the other way around...Cingular struggling so they get taken up by ATT....course taking in any company only hurts you as you inherit their debts. Probably just ultimately hurt ATT in the long run. Verizon is the only 100% solid carrier in my opinion.
    11-03-08 09:08 PM
    AT&T's slumming profit + Cingulars personal woes brought both companies down.

But hey.. I'm a verizon user.
    11-03-08 09:14 PM
    True. I actually left ATT/Cingular shortly after that merger...for Verizon.
    11-03-08 09:17 PM
    yea, I'm sure verizon's lawyers would have totally missed that when signing exclusive rights with RIM.
    Wrong. Verizon's agreement is for the 9530. If RIM wanted, they could sell the 9500 today under AT&T. Legally, they are different phones--as evidenced by two separate FCC filings.

There is a Storm 3 in the works for Verizon, however, it's a 2010 phone.

You can criticize AT&T all you want, but with a sub-par network, heavy competitor advertising, current network issues for their two flagship devices and inferior customer service, they are still raking in Verizon and others' customers every minute.
    11-03-08 09:19 PM
    I was with cingular, using the blackjack and left within the first month. What was the saying at the end of the commercials?

"Cingular, now the New AT&T"?
    11-03-08 09:21 PM
    You can criticize AT&T all you want, but with a sub-par network, heavy competitor advertising, current network issues for their two flagship devices and inferior customer service, they are still raking in Verizon and others' customers every minute.
    That's what you, the ATT customer says, but if that were true I'm pretty sure we would've seen a heavier swing by now. I personally see most people on Verizon, then a major combination of different minor providers, then ATT....least that's how it is around here.
    11-03-08 09:23 PM
    That's what you, the ATT customer says, but if that were true I'm pretty sure we would've seen a heavier swing by now. I personally see most people on Verizon, then a major combination of different minor providers, then ATT....least that's how it is around here.
    I have a unique perspective: I use (and pay for ) both Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is for business, AT&T for personal. I currently have a Blackberry 8330 for work and an iPhone for personal. I will be buying a Bold in a few hours to replace the iPhone, but still unsure which I'll keep.

I never used to browse much on my phones until I got an iPhone. Now, it's something I can't live without. Same thing happened when I first got a Blackberry--never really emailed much on phones, now I can't live without Blackberry email and software. I'm looking forward to the Storm 2.

From the statistics and projections released on the web, over 1/3 of the customers that switched carriers for the iPhone came from Verizon. I know AT&T has been having great success.
    11-03-08 09:29 PM
    No the Jupiter is the CDMA variant of the Javelin/8900 that will run on Rev 0. The Niagara is the CDMA version of the Bold and taking the place of the 8830 WE. Apex is CDMA pearl flip.
    Thanks for clarifying. I am a little disappointed though that there won't be another Storm for Verizon until 2010. I upgrade every year.
    11-03-08 09:32 PM
    Wrong. Verizon's agreement is for the 9530. If RIM wanted, they could sell the 9500 today under AT&T. Legally, they are different phones--as evidenced by two separate FCC filings.

There is a Storm 3 in the works for Verizon, however, it's a 2010 phone.

You know, I totally didn't even think about that..
    They are raking in verizon customers due primarily to another company(apple if I have to say). Haven't you already seen the sudden freak out with storm launch and rumored iphone price drops already? If the iphone industry moves over to the storm and abandons at&t, they dont stand a chance in the market. Trust me, RIM probably wants the contract with verizon just as much if not much more than the other way around. Infact, they have developed a different phone just for verizon and cdma. How much easier and cheaper do you think it would have been to develop a single standard blackberry storm?

****, I couldn't care less what network has what phone. I would love to see all phones available on every network. But as you can see, these companies are forming tight relationships with eachother and for either to cross the line and allow competition within themselves is a recipe for disaster.
    11-03-08 09:39 PM
    From the statistics and projections released on the web, over 1/3 of the customers that switched carriers for the iPhone came from Verizon. I know AT&T has been having great success.

I wouldn't hold onto that stat for TOO long. ATT had a revolutionary phone that verizon had nowhere NEAR the answer for. The first phone that came close to answering the iPhone was the Voyager and that was subpar at best but definitely a step in the right direction. I have a feeling that those who jumped ship that can afford to come back, will come back to get the storm.
    11-03-08 09:40 PM
    I wouldn't hold onto that stat for TOO long. ATT had a revolutionary phone that verizon had nowhere NEAR the answer for. The first phone that came close to answering the iPhone was the Voyager and that was subpar at best but definitely a step in the right direction. I have a feeling that those who jumped ship that can afford to come back, will come back to get the storm.

exactly, verizon has kept primary market even with iphone untouchables like the dare and voyager. Iphone took the wireless world and has carried at&t. Iphone could have went to any wireless carrier and produced massive amounts of contracts and gains, even metropcs. The problem is what's going to help them through the upcomming months? The iphone is old news, apple better be on the drawing boards or willing to give it away to keep customers from jumping ship.
    11-03-08 09:53 PM
    just posted this on the exclusive thread, but if you didn't catch it there..lol

Verizon Wireless, RIM Unleash a Storm - BusinessWeek

On Oct. 8, Verizon Wireless and RIM said that beginning in November, the device will be available exclusively to Verizon Wireless customers in the U.S. and to Vodafone customers in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. Verizon Wireless will be the exclusive Storm carrier for as long as the device is sold, the companies said

that doesn't even sound like a timed exclusive...sounds to me like the exclusive for a device marketed and sold under the name of storm will be for it's lifetime.
    Last edited by Mattsworld; 11-03-08 at 10:04 PM.
    11-03-08 09:58 PM
    if you think about it at&t made a deal with the devil when they agreed to sell the iphone and buy exclusivity rights to. I'm not bashing apple completely, but after seeing how much at&t paid apple for every handset sold and then paying apple for the exclusive rights, i'm not all that mad anymore about this coming to at&t. Just means verizon is staying true to their business model.
    11-03-08 10:21 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I was just about to reply to your earlier post and ask what the difference was between those three.

Will we even see a Storm 2 next year? Also, is the Curve being curbed?

Reason I ask, how many similar devices does RIM need to make for VZW? It sounds like the Jupiter and Niagara are gonna be close to the same thing and they already have the Curve. Is the Niagara really just like the Bold?

God, I can't believe I'm letting myself get sucked into the next round of phones!!! I haven't even laid my hands on the first Storm yet!! Thx CX!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 10:50 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. I was just about to reply to your earlier post and ask what the difference was between those three.

Will we even see a Storm 2 next year? Also, is the Curve being curbed?

Reason I ask, how many similar devices does RIM need to make for VZW? It sounds like the Jupiter and Niagara are gonna be close to the same thing and they already have the Curve. Is the Niagara really just like the Bold?

God, I can't believe I'm letting myself get sucked into the next round of phones!!! I haven't even laid my hands on the first Storm yet!! Thx CX!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

The Niagara is one kick a$ $ device. I love it. Yes it's basically a CDMA version of the Bold, but it is taking the 8830 WE's place. Big screen, Rev A, Wifi is just a few specs. If you love a keypad, this is the device for you.
    11-04-08 07:07 AM
    The Niagara is one kick a$ $ device. I love it. Yes it's basically a CDMA version of the Bold, but it is taking the 8830 WE's place. Big screen, Rev A, Wifi is just a few specs. If you love a keypad, this is the device for you.
    Is that a late '09 thing or early '09 thing?
    11-04-08 07:09 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD