Hi all, I currently have a Storm with Verizon. A big problem that I'm having is a extreme lag on the the keyboard. Basically, it'll take a almost a second for a key that I type in to appear, so basically, I'll type a message, and watch the screen catch up. I thought it was the OS, so I upgraded from .75 to .141, but the same thing happens.

This only occurs an hour or 2 after the a reboot (battery pull), so key inputs works fine after a battery pull, but the lag starts after a while, even if I don't use the storm at all. Sometime it'll randomly go away and my the keyboard works fine, but I don't know what triggers it.

has anyone seen this or have a fix for this?

Thanks all!
    05-03-09 06:44 PM
    Is this on the browser, or in normal applications and texting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 07:20 PM
    Its anytime I have to type, either in messages (email, sms, etc..) or in the browser, or other apps (i.e. typing in an address in google maps).

Thanks for the quick response!
    05-03-09 07:22 PM
    what kind of 3rd party Apps and Theme are you running...Sometimes different types of Apps are running in the background and are constantly using memory.....is your battery draining kquicker then it should be too?
    05-03-09 07:24 PM
    Yea that's strange for me on .141 when using the keyboard there's almost no lag. When typing in the browser it still lags considerably.

05-03-09 07:24 PM
    Hmm. That's really odd. I've never heard of that before.
    Try:
    1. Making sure you are closing all applications you have running after you run them
    2. Report your memory here
    3. If it still happens, do at least two battery pulls
    4. If it STILL happens, wipe the phone completely and reinstall an OS, preferably .132

Last edited by austinarita99; 05-03-09 at 07:47 PM.
    05-03-09 07:27 PM
    yeah, .141, should really not lag too much, unless you are opening Apps like crazy and not closing them properly...that is my best guess....something has to be running in the background, bogging the O.S. down.....or it's a 3rd party theme....aftermarket themes oftentimes bog down the Storm quiet a bit too.....
    05-03-09 07:29 PM
    Yea that's strange for me on .141 when using the keyboard there's almost no lag. When typing in the browser it still lags considerably.

I agree. Can't they fix it?
    Lol its happening right now.
    I'm not even typing THAT fast but the blue light just that should follow your finger around doesn't even turn on.

Last edited by austinarita99; 05-03-09 at 07:48 PM.
    05-03-09 07:29 PM
    I have lag when typing in the browser to reply to PMs and such. I do not have lag typing in new browser addresses. No lag at all otherwise.
    05-03-09 07:39 PM
    Lol well it has gotten extemely better. But make sure you close all the way out of programs that should help a lul with the lag in the browser.

05-03-09 07:40 PM
    I have lag when typing in the browser to reply to PMs and such. I do not have lag typing in new browser addresses. No lag at all otherwise.
    Isn't this kind of obvious? what makes the browser typing lag is that it has to render the keyboard over the actual dynamic web page. the browser adress is exactly like typing an email to someone. it's a static enviroment.

What I don't get, is why RIM doesn't just make clicking on a text field on a webpage open a new window, kind of like opera. This would eliminate the typing lag completely -- it would be a static enviroment.

Sigh. I had to switch to a computer to type this reply, since the browser typing is just too annoying.

Frankly, its embarrasing, since when I show off my Storm's ultra fast OS hybrid thangy thang, the moment I let them touch the phone they go to facebook through the browser, and WTF at the slow typing speed in the browser.
    So much for leaked OS's. . . Haha.
    I kid, I kid, leaked OS's turned my Storm experience from Hate to Love.
    05-03-09 07:46 PM
    So much for leaked OS's. . . Haha.
    I kid, I kid, leaked OS's turned my Storm experience from Hate to Love.
    or maybe from Hate to a little less hate.........
    05-03-09 07:52 PM
    I dont understand. Ive seen no improvements in typing lag whatsoever. In fact its gotten worse. Everytime I type the little data icon on the top left corner starts blinking as if the phone were recieving a message or something. All it does is lag up my phone and its pretty damn annoying. This is on a clean install of .141 with about 4 3rd party apps...pandora, iheart, google maps and weathereye.
    05-03-09 07:53 PM
    I set my key rate to fast and it seems to decrease th lag also use quick pull and frees up mempry and also takes care of the keyboard lag.......... "everybody in america needs a Blackberry and Join Crackberry"
    05-03-09 07:59 PM
    I dont understand. Ive seen no improvements in typing lag whatsoever. In fact its gotten worse. Everytime I type the little data icon on the top left corner starts blinking as if the phone were recieving a message or something. All it does is lag up my phone and its pretty damn annoying. This is on a clean install of .141 with about 4 3rd party apps...pandora, iheart, google maps and weathereye.
    your data arrows should NOT be blinking at all while just composing a message...make sure that pandora and Iheartradio are shut down completely when not in use...I can almost guarantee you 100% that, that's what the lag is from....when shutting down pandora and iheartradio, make sure you hit the BB button and then click on "shut down pandora/iheartradio" rather then just hitting the red button or the "back" key
    05-03-09 08:00 PM
    your data arrows should NOT be blinking at all while just composing a message...make sure that pandora and Iheartradio are shut down completely when not in use...I can almost guarantee you 100% that, that's what the lag is from....when shutting down pandora and iheartradio, make sure you hit the BB button and then click on "shut down pandora/iheartradio" rather then just hitting the red button or the "back" key
    Trust me...ive been doing so since i got the phone. No 3rd party apps are ever open unless im in my car listening to music. Its really annoying and making this stupid wait for an os even more frustrating...well the VZW iPhone for that matter. This is def my first and last bb.
    05-03-09 08:05 PM
    Trust me...ive been doing so since i got the phone. No 3rd party apps are ever open unless im in my car listening to music. Its really annoying and making this stupid wait for an os even more frustrating...well the VZW iPhone for that matter. This is def my first and last bb.
    very strange........okay so, what happens when you "turn all connections off" and then compose an email draft or sms draft? still lagging or no?
    05-03-09 08:10 PM
    very strange........okay so, what happens when you "turn all connections off" and then compose an email draft or sms draft? still lagging or no?
    Turned connections off and it seems to be a tad smoother, but the letters just cant catch up to my fingers. Maybe i type too fast?

I turned it back on to compare and the stupid little data symbol just came back again and lagged it up even more.

05-03-09 08:14 PM
    very strange....especially since you are on Verizon.....are you using VZNavigator at all?
    05-03-09 08:34 PM
    Try switching to the stock theme or try a os wipe. Worked for me.

05-03-09 08:45 PM
    You shouldn't have to "Close" Applications in order for this Storm to work properly. How poorly designed. The whole point of having a "Smart Phone" is to use any Application at will and not having to do this and that to make the damn thing work. How pathetic. Battery Pulls and Jacking around with the Applications in order to "Type" with no lag is a joke. Let's hope this improves.
    05-03-09 10:35 PM
    very strange....especially since you are on Verizon.....are you using VZNavigator at all?
    Nope.

Try switching to the stock theme or try a os wipe. Worked for me.

Always have been using it.
    05-03-09 11:24 PM
    Then try getting a new theme... or try the OS wipe...

That's a funny word... OS wipe. Sounds like what my cousins call each other: Shut UP you freaking OSwipe!

I also recommend those to patients with hemorrhoids. Always use medicated OSwipes...
    05-04-09 12:09 AM
    Then try getting a new theme... or try the OS wipe...

That's a funny word... OS wipe. Sounds like what my cousins call each other: Shut UP you freaking OSwipe!

I also recommend those to patients with hemorrhoids. Always use medicated OSwipes...
    Ive wiped this thing numerous times and i cant stand doing it again...but I guess i'll have to try again. If it doesnt work, i might just start using this peice of junk as an "Oswipe".
    05-04-09 12:40 AM
    Hmm. That's really odd. I've never heard of that before.
    Try:
    1. Making sure you are closing all applications you have running after you run them
    2. Report your memory here
    3. If it still happens, do at least two battery pulls
    4. If it STILL happens, wipe the phone completely and reinstall an OS, preferably .132

considering these tips have been mentioned multiple times, and the fact that you need to actually do 2 battery pulls, and wipe the handheld, just to type .

I would not take this advise, as nobody has time to do that, and more importantly: if you own a storm, no matter what. There has been some type of typing lag for everyone....OS after os probably makes it worse. but
    05-04-09 12:42 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD