Could this have anything to do with the dimming "problem" that most are experiencing, and could you possibly stop it through these settings?
    I'd try but... I'm scared to mess with anything. lol
    11-06-09 12:57 AM
    Anyone have any ideas?
    11-06-09 06:46 PM
    I was looking into that a little while ago and noticed the settings change as i changed the amount of light and when attempting to change the settings to conform to what i wanted the screen to dim to i would get a white screen with a small error and then my storm would restart.
    11-06-09 07:03 PM
    I'm just wondering if maybe there's a setting that could be tweaked to get rid of it. I have heard of people bricking their phones this way, and I don't want to screw around until I can maybe get a few other people to try with me. haha.

But when I click "display zone lux: I get different settings than when I click "display zone brightness" and "keypad zone lux"

Also, when the screen does want to dim, the "sample" settings at the top change a bit and some turn to "<empty>"

For those wondering how to do this, read...
    Hey, I haven't seen this posted on any of the Storm forums, so I wanted to post this information for advanced users to see, and so we actively have people looking at the options in this engineering screen. There is a ton of settings, information screens, etc. that you can change. As I said, this would be for advanced users only, as most setting changes would likely brick the phone, and might require a wipe and reload. I've found some very interesting screens, including one that shows the battery charge rate, discharge rate, even an option to force a battery drain. I've found that the Storm only uses 16-bit coloring, USB charges at a higher charge rate than wall chargers...There is tons of stuff, and I know there are some smart people that might be able to "unlock" some hidden features in the Storm. (Sorry, but I didn't find any hidden WiFi option!! lol Here are the steps on how to access the screen.

1) Access the 'Help Me' screen on your Blackberry. (Hold down the Back/ESC button, and tap top left of screen, then top right of screen, then top left of screen, then top right of screen)

2) You will need a code generated from your App version, device PIN, and device uptime. (When entering your App version, you will need to entire the entire line displayed in the HelpMe screen ie-4.7.0.148 (203). Uptime and deviceID needs to match exactly what the Helpme screen shows. Select duration for how long you want the engineering screen to replace the helpme screen. BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator (by Thyth)

3) Do NOT close the HelpMe screen, or the code generated will no longer work when you reopen the HelpMe screen.

4) Open up the virtual keyboard. (You'll need to use portrait querty, or landscape qwerty)

5) Enter in the 8-digit code generated in step 2 exactly how it appears. There will be letters and numbers, so you will have to switch from the keyboard to keypad during the entering of the code. You will not see the digits on screen as you enter them, so you will have to enter it carefully. You'll only need to enter this code once, and it will last until the duration you specified expires. Once that happens, you can generate a new code and start the process over again.

6) Once the last digit is entered, the engineering screen will replace the 'Help Me' screen, and can be accessed anytime by going to the Help Me screen. The Engineering screen will replace the HelpMe screen for the duration you set during step 2.

7) Please post your results. Again, be careful when messing with this settings screen. To be safe, you should write down the default settings before you make ANY changes.

Here is an example of one of the screens you can view.

Source: Berryreview.com
    11-06-09 07:18 PM
    Actually theres no need to go through that code anymore i found out that if your using suretype open your keyboard and lock !?123 and hit 1?71. This will open the engineering screen
    11-06-09 07:38 PM
    Really? didn't know that... sweet.
    11-06-09 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD