Humor my curiosity if you will please. Which do you use for which? I'm interested to see if your utilization of devices is going to differ from mine. I mean I can assume, but I'm rather interested in the actual answer without assumption.
    Sure thing. My iPod Touch is mainly for music, but I do like to watch the occasional tv show episode or movie on it. I do like to check out apps, most of which are games and/or entertainment related such as movie listings/reviews. My Storm is utilized for the main messaging features, my other communication methods of Twitter and Facebook, and Viigo is also heavily used. The main multimedia function I use on the phone would be the camera for quick candid shots and of course the "in the moment" MMS times. I do use Slacker Radio on occasion, but not nearly enough to qualify it as my main music player.
    03-30-09 05:19 PM
    take a stock storm out of the box running .75 and thats why its the worst gadget of the year. .75 was awful and made the phone terrible to use...Yes using leaked O.S's you get a much better phone and with the app world comming out we will see. I think of the storm as a work in progress that will just get better and better
    agreed.....with that said, I'm still rocking .75....
    03-30-09 05:25 PM
    The Storm is NOT the worst gadget of the year. Most over hyped? Maybe. But it isn't the worst gadget in all of the gadget-verse. It has some performance issues, but its a good device 90% of the times.
    03-30-09 05:31 PM
    I would also say it's the device with the most potential that was underutilized. When I heard the announcement, I suppose I had a different idea of what the OS would be like. I felt right at home when first using my Storm, as it was pretty much just translating the trackball experience to touch, but it didn't quite have the "wow" factor like when comparing the iPod classic interface to the iPhone OS. This isn't to say I have a good idea of what the new OS on the Storm would be like, I just thought there might be more revolutionary features than were included.
    03-30-09 05:40 PM
    the iPhone 3G being called "smart phone of the year" is laughable. The Bold and HTC Touch Pro easily out perform the iPhone as smart phones.
    What about the Storm
    03-30-09 05:55 PM
    Didn't the Storm finish in 2nd for best device too?
    03-30-09 06:08 PM
    For those who disagree with naming the Storm �WGOY," which gadgets would be more deserving? I have far too few new gadgets to make a comparison...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-09 06:11 PM
    The editors tried hard to get folks to vote for the Storm as worst of the year and when the Zune took that "peoples choice" title, they had to make sure they put it on their editors list as worst...what a bunch of self serving egotistical keyboard jockies.
    03-30-09 06:51 PM
    The editors tried hard to get folks to vote for the Storm as worst of the year and when the Zune took that "peoples choice" title, they had to make sure they put it on their editors list as worst...what a bunch of self serving egotistical keyboard jockies.
    Towards the end of the voting it was in a close second for the worse device.
    03-30-09 06:55 PM
    If you want to see a real piece of crap phone, go to Sprint and test out the Instinct. Now, that was a MAJOR disappointment! The storm has issues but I believe they will be addressed and worked out on time. We just need to have patience.
    03-30-09 07:10 PM
    Seriously what did you expect from a bunch of apple fanboys?

True, I prefer people who are really into RIM to rate the Storm. Though even then I don't really listen, I just go by my own opinion
    03-30-09 07:51 PM
    I have the Storm as well and an iPod touch. I've also had MANY other devices (HTC Touch Pro, Omnia, and others). I have software leak .114 installed on the Storm and must say, I really love the Storm when it's not being buggy. Compared with the iPod touch's UI though, I can definitely see how Apple gets the gadget of the year award. The Storm has great potential but isn't nearly as smooth and quick as the UI on the iPod touch (which as all of you know, is the same UI as the iPhone minus some obvious features). Viewing pictures is much quicker (Storm is still not consistent, sometimes lags), Safari is a MUCH better experience then the Storm's pre-installed browser, accelerometer is MUCH faster on the iPod touch (although the Storm is getting better but still lags at times), can even watch full tv episodes on the iPod touch with i.TV app and the list can keep on going. Does this mean I'll leave Verizon and go buy an iPhone? Absolutely not. At&t's network is terrible and nothing can compare to Verizon's network quality and speed. If Verizon and Apple ever team up and offer an iPhone on Verizon's network? Comparing the 2 devices as of now I would most likely then switch to a Verizon iPhone (if ever launched) but until that day, I'll stick to my Storm.
    03-31-09 11:16 AM
    the iPhone 3G being called "smart phone of the year" is laughable. The Bold and HTC Touch Pro easily out perform the iPhone as smart phones.
    There's people who obsess over apple, and there's people who just hate on it.

The HTC is crap, i played with it, laggy as **** and no potential. The bold is a great phone, but it got nowhere near the amount of attention the iphone got. The iphone changed everything, after the iphone was released people went crazy and EVERYONE got it. It's a great phone, there's no need to sh1t on it when obviously it's a LOT better than the htc, and then for the bold it depends on the person. Personally I like touch screen, and I don't like the track ball TOO much. I do think that the bold is a great phone though.
    03-31-09 04:20 PM
    There is some good that will come of this I think.

It will motivate RIM and Verizon even more to really get the Storm to where it needs to be.

The editors named the Xbox 360 console of the year so they clearly have SOME common sense and aren't entirely clueless, but the Storm has absolutely had itself a rough start. Does it receive a lot of unfair criticism due to initial impressions? Yes, it absolutely does but the device has way too much potential that you have to, in some instances, understand the disappointment that some will have.
    I want to agree, but something tells me it will be easier for them to make a new product using the pros of the storm, and the pros of the javelin (in other words make the Niagra) and slowly move on from the Storm. After all, it is their first touch screen. Thats too bad that it got rated so poorly from Engaget. And look how many apple products won. Thats unreal.
    03-31-09 04:43 PM
    For those who disagree with naming the Storm ”WGOY," which gadgets would be more deserving? I have far too few new gadgets to make a comparison...

Samsung Omnia?

EDIT: We'll see just how majorly Apple fanboyish the editors at Engadget are when this year's worst list comes out. Because even though it's early in the year, I don't see HOW a worse device than the new iPod shuffle could possibly be created. Right now, if you bought one, you'd litearally be FORCED to use it with earbuds..... and alot of people HATE earbuds. How they could design a player and not at least put one button on it is beyond me (why couldn't it have a small button that does the same thing as the one build into the headphone cord?)
    Last edited by Dave12308; 03-31-09 at 04:54 PM.
    03-31-09 04:49 PM
    I only mentioned the HTC and the Omnia because I just wanted to point 2 other big devices VZW has out right now (besides the Storm). I failed to mention that I've had those phones before I got the Storm and Storm is definitely better then those 2. Although I didn't have nearly as many problems with those as I do with the Storm.
    03-31-09 05:10 PM
    The Storm is the worst gadget because historically Blackberries have been good. They have always been reliable and good at what they do, the Storm is neither.
    03-31-09 05:25 PM
    hopefully it'll be better once the official software version releases soon (with that huge list of fixes). Has anyone heard the rumors of Apple possibly offering At&t a sum to break their contract? I guess that's a whole different forum (and site) for that question... just a side thought I guess.
    03-31-09 06:10 PM
    every engadget video has an iphone in it
    03-31-09 06:25 PM
    Well when the voting was up for best gadget of the year the storm was second to the iphone towards the end. So it could have won both best and worst awards..... That seems a little flawed

03-31-09 07:11 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD