I have a strange question:

If my replacement Storm at brightness 100, looks exactly the same as my old Storm at brightness 60, (and assuming that they are indeed outputting the same "brightness"), does that mean they are drawing the same amount of battery power at their respective brightness levels?

Or, is the Storm set at 100 drawing more energy, simply by virtue of the fact that the setting (at 100) is telling the software to draw some pre-determined amount of energy from the Storm?

In other words, say that I have my replacement Storm and old Storm set at 100. The old Storm looks MUCH brighter. Is there a chance that there is some hardware deficiency in the replacement Storm (e.g., dirty lens overlay), that could render the screen LOOKING darker at 100, even though it is drawing the same amount of energy as the new Storm?

My question comes from my wish to set my replacement Storm at 100 brightness - which is just barely enough. But if it's going to draw a ton of battery life, then I'd prefer to conserve battery life and live with a darker screen.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
    01-29-09 01:43 PM
    I have mine set at 40

Now if you are in a dark room the screen will dim(being) easy on ones eyes. but if you are in the bright sun or lighted room, the screen with actually get brighter... this is the way the light sensor works....

Also you have a storm 9530 or a 8310 which is what your profile says?
    01-29-09 01:45 PM
    I have mine set at 40

Now if you are in a dark room the screen will dim(being) easy on ones eyes. but if you are in the bright sun or lighted room, the screen with actually get brighter... this is the way the light sensor works....

Also you have a storm 9530 or a 8310 which is what your profile says?
    Account info changed accordingly.

Yester18, I should have mentioned that I have the auto-dim feature shut off on both units. Oddly, the new Storm just doesn't get that bright - I'm really not sure why. (It was manufactured on 1/14/09). My brother's Storm, which was also manufactured on the same date, has the exact same brightness deficiency.

Both of our previous Storm's were significantly brighter. I would guess that brightness 60-70 on the older Storms is about equal to brightness 100 on the new Storms.
    Last edited by liquidsense; 01-29-09 at 03:34 PM.
    01-29-09 01:56 PM
    I was actually wondering the same thing. First Storm was super bright. Second was a little dimmer. Third one (1/09) is much dimmer. I'm wondering also if there was a hardware change to save battery life, thus reducing backlight output.
    01-29-09 03:19 PM
    i have two storms and im glad someone else noticed becuz i thought i was crazy....one does look significantly brighter. i thought it may have been becuase i use one more than the other and possible drawing more battery life to power the screen . i dont know....one thing is sure .....that no two storms are exactly the same
    01-29-09 04:39 PM
    i have mine on the lowest setting. it seems to speed up the phone and save a lot of battery. the low setting is deff good enough for me
    01-29-09 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD