One of the best and worst things about Verizon BlackBerry plans is they are all unlimited data. Bad if you want to pay as little as possible for things, great if you want to use an instant messanger unlimited as part of your plan. So long as you have a blackberry you need not worry about it counting as text messages on your plan to instant message.

The following message is straight from Verizon Wireless tech support.

"When using AOL instant messenger or any other instant messaging service, you are using text messaging. These messages are not counted as Verizon Wireless messages. "
    The tech says something that confuses everyone...
    "you are using text messaging"
    This says they are text messages

"These messages are not counted as Verizon Wireless messages."
    Now they are not 'Verizon wireless messages'".

If they are not Verizon wireless messages but they are text messages do I need to pay another provider?

So in recap Verizon tech people are good for some things but BlackBerry addicts must stick together on these issues.
    12-03-08 11:29 PM
    The following message is straight from Verizon Wireless tech support.

"When using AOL instant messenger or any other instant messaging service, you are using text messaging. These messages are not counted as Verizon Wireless messages. "

From now on, stop assuming, or speaking without checking...especially those of you who say the pre-loaded instant messenger programs use data. do some checking into it before opening your mouths.
    You Sir, are a moron.

That quote you see there is for certain phones that come loaded with a java application of AIM that just uses the SMS system for AIM because those phones do not stay connected to the data network.

But thanks for your concern.
    12-04-08 12:19 AM
    After reading this entire thread, I've come to the conclusion that IM on BBS does not use TXT/SMS. It uses the data plan that is mandatory on our BBS.

Another thing to realize is, not all Verizon employees are knowledgeable with everything.
    I went to switch plans from a voice to non-voice/data-only plan and the lady looked at me like I was crazy. It took two more of her co-workers to finally convince her that the data only plan existed. Then she later admitted to not being aware of such a plan.
    12-07-08 01:49 PM
    After reading this board for so long, I finally decided I would post my thoughts. I currently have Sprint and expect my Storm to arrive tomorrow for my port to Verizon. It seems to me that the overwhelming argument of data vs. texts for Yahoo, AIM, GoogleTalk, etc. is out of hand. But why is it out of hand? I know. Because Verizon won't just tell all of their fine customers the truth. Now when I get my storm, I fully intend to use Yahoo Messenger to it's fullest. Since my phone bill is a corporate plan, I am not allowed to add texting to my account, so I have to rely on data. Here is where my problem is. Verizon has trained their CSR's to basically say " when you are using the Instant messaging clients, you will be charged at the text message rate." Now why would they do this? they do this to make $$$$$$. Plain and simple. Why would a company promote something for free when they can easily squeeze $10 a month or so from all of their customers without the sense to see whether or not they can use the MobileMe suite, or the independent apps available from RIM. I have used Yahoo on my sprint BB for a year now, and it has saved my company so much money in voice airtime that they're heads would spin. I'm sure most of you are sick of reading this rant by now, but I had to get this off my chest. Verizon, I plead with you....Tell your customers the truth. IM services are available for free download and they use data. Please, I beg of you Verizon, don't start my experience with you on a bad foot. I am looking for a reliable, well serviced, truthful company. Please don't let me down. Data rules, Texting sucks.
    12-10-08 06:02 PM
    It doesn't matter if they use data or not, it's how you are billed for them. BB Messenger should be the only one that doesn't count against your text messaging plan. I'm looking at my account online and I can see the back and forth messages sent while I was logged onto AIM. The 10 digit number shows 00000 and then the AIM source code that is five digits long. It is also being pulled from my out of network messaging portion of my text feature. I use BB Messenger all day long and have not seen the count change.
    Last edited by blackwidowinsc; 12-10-08 at 06:39 PM.
    12-10-08 06:28 PM
    It doesn't matter if they use data or not, it's how you are billed for them. BB Messenger should be the only one that doesn't count against your text messaging plan. I'm looking at my account online and I can see the back and forth messages sent while I was logged onto AOL. The 10 digit number shows 00000 and then the AOL IM source code that is five digits long. It is also being pulled from my out of network messaging portion of my text feature.
    No, BB Messenger, Yahoo, AIM, on the BB all use data (it's not just Messenger). And whether a program uses data does matter *because* it directly affects how you are charged. Data = included in BIS/BES; you are not charged extra or per message for using those clients.
    12-10-08 06:37 PM
    It doesn't matter if they use data or not, it's how you are billed for them. BB Messenger should be the only one that doesn't count against your text messaging plan. I'm looking at my account online and I can see the back and forth messages sent while I was logged onto AOL. The 10 digit number shows 00000 and then the AOL IM source code that is five digits long. It is also being pulled from my out of network messaging portion of my text feature.
    Out of curiosity, are you using the MobileMe client? Or are you using the independent software that is available at the Blackberry official website?
    12-10-08 06:38 PM
    Out of curiosity, are you using the MobileMe client? Or are you using the independent software that is available at the Blackberry official website?
    I am using the apps that came preloaded on the device. On my 8830 I downloaded it from BB site.

I am not here to argue about it. I think that people should be encouraged to check their account and see if they are being billed against their text plan. In my opinion most users may not know that there are other methods available to use the apps and they are going to be surprised if they get billed for text messaging overage. Basically, just be informed.
    12-10-08 07:01 PM
    I completely agree. I am not trying to argue as well. I think checking your account is the only true way to find out what's going on. The unfortunate part is there seems to be so much difference in opinion, that I wish Verizon would just do the stand up thing and give people the right options and the right answers. that is my only issue.
    I think what I may do is just delete the factory apps just to be sure, then download the OTA versions from the blackberry website and check my account. BTW, usually how long does it take your account to update?
    12-10-08 07:10 PM
    ------> Needs Beejive. instango starting to **** me off.
    12-10-08 07:13 PM
    Holy bejeebus this thread is epic.
    12-10-08 07:18 PM
    From now on, stop assuming, or speaking without checking...especially those of you who say the pre-loaded instant messenger programs use data. do some checking into it before opening your mouths.
    Because we all know that every single agent of Verizon's (or any carriers for that matter) knows what the heck they are saying and went through the most complete training of every single aspect. Also, remember that "tech support" and "BlackBerry tech support" are trained differently and deal with different devices, therefore different programs. Never deal with regular tech support in regards to BB's.

...why would that be the case? it would make Verizon lose money
    It doesn't make them lose money. Verizon offers unlimited messages for $20 - unlimited BlackBerry for $30 - which one brings them more money? Verizon offers their own IM app for all "dumb" phones and Windows Mobile smartphones, it's called MobileIM. That application does use SMS (text messages). The programs that you get directly from RIM are made to work solely with the BlackBerry and uses data only, no SMS.

The tech says something that confuses everyone...
    "you are using text messaging"
    This says they are text messages

"These messages are not counted as Verizon Wireless messages."
    Now they are not 'Verizon wireless messages'".

If they are not Verizon wireless messages but they are text messages do I need to pay another provider?

So in recap Verizon tech people are good for some things but BlackBerry addicts must stick together on these issues.
    It means that IM messages are not counted as "IN Network Messages" like when you text Verizon-to-Verizon. Those IM messages that apply to this rule would be if you tell AIM or Yahoo to auto log in to your cell phone number when you sign off the computer, or you use MobileIM
    ...Because Verizon won't just tell all of their fine customers the truth... Verizon has trained their CSR's to basically say " when you are using the Instant messaging clients, you will be charged at the text message rate." Now why would they do this? they do this to make $$$$$$.
    No, they do this because the large majority of their CSR's are not trained in BlackBerries. They only know regular phones which that would be correct - IM=SMS. To think that they are pushing SMS to make money is kind of stupid when you think about it. They can get more money from pushing the data plans ($20 vs $30 BIS or $45 for BES)
    12-10-08 07:47 PM
    I'm lost......Can someone please explain what an instant message is? Just kidding. Great explanation Cliffr39
    12-10-08 07:59 PM
    I just wanted to say that I loved this whole crazy... whatever it is. This has been a very entertaining read.
    12-11-08 08:13 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD