OK so I've spent 5 days with my new storm and have most functions and operations down. I am new to BB so I'm wondering if there is any easy way to start an SMS to someone in my address book. With a cell phone you can hit your speed dial, select TXT, and go to town on the message. With the Storm, I have to bring up my address book, search for the contact, then choose send SMS. Is there a short cut I'm not seeing?
    12-24-08 10:07 AM
    SMS > Menu Key > Compose SMS Text

Then just type the contact name in the To: field and then type your text.

I think it's about the same though in terms of simpleness.
    12-24-08 10:11 AM
    OK so I've spent 5 days with my new storm and have most functions and operations down. I am new to BB so I'm wondering if there is any easy way to start an SMS to someone in my address book. With a cell phone you can hit your speed dial, select TXT, and go to town on the message. With the Storm, I have to bring up my address book, search for the contact, then choose send SMS. Is there a short cut I'm not seeing?
    Ok so this is how i personally like to get there... set the left conveniance key (previously voice dial feature) to compose... then when you hit that it instantly brings your contacts up choose which one you want to send to and away you go. just my 2 pence... yes im english lol.
    12-24-08 10:14 AM
    Thanks for your help. I have the left side button set to keyboard and don't want to change that. I guess some things on the storm are just not going to be as fast as a cell phone.
    12-24-08 10:36 AM
    Remember too, the phone can't read your mind and doesn't know if you want to send an SMS text or an MMS text (text that contains picture/video) or an email (if you have an email address saved for that specific contact.

A little trick for the keyboard, sliding your finger down on the visible keyboard will hide it, sliding it up from the bottom of the screen will make it reappear.

Also, to send a text really quickly, you can either hide the keyboard using the finger trick and hitting the send icon on the screen or simply press the menu key twice.
    12-24-08 10:41 AM
    thanks. All good tips. I'm sure in time I'll get all the bugs worked out.
    12-24-08 10:46 AM
    thanks. All good tips. I'm sure in time I'll get all the bugs worked out.
    Theres certainly a learning curve to the Storm, especially if you're new to Blackberry but once you get the hang of it you'll be hooked. Most smartphones work this way since they have the ability to do so much more than a normal phone.

After a week or two, if you still feel like its too inconvenient, you can always return it with no questions asked.
    12-24-08 10:48 AM
    i dunno, when i'm in the messages folder there is a copose new message icon.. i just use that, its only one click, then another click to specify what type of message
    12-24-08 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD