I have quite a lot of dust/particles under my screen, and in just the past few days it's gotten worse. It's honestly to the point where it is distracting.

Anyone else getting this?
    11-25-08 05:23 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that you have dust. I have no such problem. Do you carry your phone in your hand or in your pocket? It seems that you are getting a noticeable amount of dust relativity quickly.
    11-25-08 05:26 PM
    I would buy a can of compressed air. It should do the trick. Just make sure to keep the can upright.
    11-25-08 05:27 PM
    i would think this will happen to everyone since the screen is not sealed at all cause it has to move up and down. lots of dust is going to get into the phone.

i am starting to think that a non clicking touchpad while less "cutting edge" would have been the better way to go.

they should have spent the money investing in a better sensing touchscreen to outclass apple, instead of novelty.
    11-25-08 05:42 PM
    The Verizon tech told me that all the circuit components *under* the screen are sealed...are you seeing something on the screen? That's weird not sure how it shows up in the pixels. Is it seen as shadows? You can blow it off as suggested above...the click screen is IMO wonderful...great feel to it after coming off the I-phone and the Dare where I often opened apps without trying. That's the point of the sure click sstem.
    11-25-08 05:48 PM
    I definitely have the same problem. Dust seems to gotten under the lens but in front of the lcd. Its not that noticeable but still pretty annoying. I'm scared it'll be way worse as time progresses.

Anyone have luck with compressed air?

This is disappointing as I would have though that they would have sealed the screen off.
    Last edited by hhhuang; 11-25-08 at 10:26 PM.
    11-25-08 10:23 PM
    The Verizon tech told me that all the circuit components *under* the screen are sealed....
    The Verizon tech you spoke to is a moron.
    11-25-08 10:27 PM
    I doubt dust will be a problem, i find it hard to believe that RIM would not realize this would be a problem if it in fact was.
    11-25-08 11:37 PM
    I doubt dust will be a problem, i find it hard to believe that RIM would not realize this would be a problem if it in fact was.
    Your kidding right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 12:08 AM
    i believe it could be dust but I think that would imply your unit is defective and I would get a new one. There is no way in **** RIM didnt think about dust getting under the screen. If their methods to prevent it failed, call and get a new one.
    11-26-08 12:22 AM
    Have you removed the piece of plastic covering your entire screen? Mine came with dust already under it, and now that I've used it a few days, it's starting to get scratched up, making the screen look a little dusty and scratched. It just peels right off though.
    11-26-08 12:31 AM
    The Verizon tech you spoke to is a moron.
    I was back there yesterday for a case return and I told him he was a moron...

So, they happened to have one which had been run over by a car and he showed me...and he is right that many of the components were shielded in metal casing...save the chips were open. "He said" it was due to the open screen edges?
    11-26-08 09:06 AM
    maybe it is dust under the screenprotecter the phone came with.?
    11-26-08 09:09 AM
    It is not the plastic that initially came with the Blackberry. I removed that the first day and put on the Verizon screen protector.

Unfortunately, now that I know it is there, it has been bothering me every time I glance in the general direction.
    11-27-08 07:16 PM
    I was back there yesterday for a case return and I told him he was a moron...

So, they happened to have one which had been run over by a car and he showed me...and he is right that many of the components were shielded in metal casing...save the chips were open. "He said" it was due to the open screen edges?
    lol. The chips are covered with a metal dome for some slight protection and also for heat dissipation (heatsink). However, that does not make them hermetically sealed. Trust me when I say that if you get something wet behind the screen, it will bite the dust. (no pun intended)

Personally I'm waiting for the post that reads "I sneezed on my Storm's and now it doesn't work."
    11-27-08 09:50 PM
    I have dust behind my screen also. I carry it in my pants pocket and have noticed when doing battery pulls when screen goes all white. It is getting worse though I might have to return it. Anyone find a way to get it out?
    11-29-08 10:21 AM
    I have worked in a Verizon Store for over 5 years now, and I don't think I have heard a Verizon Sales Rep say anything that makes sense the entire time. They are good guys, but they are always answering questions that they don't know the answer to, I have an idea, why don't they try "Sir, I don't know the answer to that, but I will try to find that out for you" or something.
    11-29-08 10:42 AM
    First post...

Here is a picture of my Storm. You can see dust trapped under the glass. Yes, I do keep the phone in my pocket. I did try to blowout some of the dust....that's how the dust at the top of the screen came about. So if you do plan to blowout any of the dust under the screen, beware, it might make the problem worst.

I plan on calling Verizon on Monday to talk about it.

You can see dust at the top and middle of the screen. Some of the other flakes might be under the screen...but I don't notice them while using the phone.
    11-29-08 12:18 PM
    interesting to hear...maybe purchase a holster?
    11-29-08 12:22 PM
    I guess that might be a solution....but I really don't think it should be. I think the phone should have been designed not to require the use of a holster.
    11-29-08 12:37 PM
    I had this problem on my Curve. Since I'm not using the Curve anymore, I am not concerned about it, but I was curious if the screen can be removed for cleaning.
    11-29-08 12:50 PM
    I definitely have the same problem. Dust seems to gotten under the lens but in front of the lcd. Its not that noticeable but still pretty annoying. I'm scared it'll be way worse as time progresses.

Anyone have luck with compressed air?

This is disappointing as I would have though that they would have sealed the screen off.
    This really really worries me... I like to keep my phones in mint condition, but fighting against dust getting under the screen shouldn't be something else I need to worry about. I can't believe RIM would release a phone at this price point without looking into this first.

I am supposed to get my Storm in 2 weeks from now - Canada - I can deal with all the bugs in the world but hardware issues are a different thing.

Have many of you experienced this "dust under screen issue"? Please post more about your experiences.
    11-29-08 01:43 PM
    I have a "Dust Storm"! I was using my phone outside in the sun today and noticed a bunch of dust particles.
    My girlfriend has OCD when it comes to keeping our home clean so its not coming from my house.
    11-29-08 01:50 PM
    you know computers aren't sealed either. If you open a computer that hasn't been cleaned for a year or so, you'll find dust all over the place inside the case... on the motherboard, hard drives, RAM, etc...

Dust isn't gonna break anything
    11-29-08 02:02 PM
    you know computers aren't sealed either. If you open a computer that hasn't been cleaned for a year or so, you'll find dust all over the place inside the case... on the motherboard, hard drives, RAM, etc...

Dust isn't gonna break anything
    It might not break something...but it is visible and annoying. Also, I have had my Storm for 8 days. I wonder how much dust will be visible in a year or so?
    11-29-08 02:14 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD