So I took my phone into the Verizon store (where I bought it) last night because I have a bunch of dust under the screen.

They could clearly see the same dust I was seeing and agreed it couldn't be removed (short of full disassembly).

They agreed to exchange it for me (by mail... so I wait for two days) but said that "this isn't something we would normally cover."

I didn't press the issue since they were exchanging it for me anyway but thought that was quite odd to say that what amounts to a manufacturer defect wasn't something they would normally cover.

Was the rep just BSing me or does he speak the truth?
    02-27-09 11:15 AM
    That rep is just giving you the standard run-around. They're trying to dissuade you from coming in again with the same issue.

I had this happen to my phone and they replaced it on the spot in the store.

Enjoy your new, dust free phone
    02-27-09 11:20 AM
    I say he was BSing cause he was doing it once for you and didn't want to have to keep doing it for you every time you get dust.

They are commission and he is not making any money while doing a exchange. At least the rep in Circuit City in BP says he is on commission.

IMO
    02-27-09 11:21 AM
    That's why I don't deal with the people in the store. There are numerous posts about this though, here is mine:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/dir...0/#post1747610

Short version: Manufacturing Defect - is covered! Simple.
    02-27-09 11:22 AM
    I'm going to have to bring mine back to the Verizon store also. The dust under the screen is super annoying. I don't suppose there is a way to really get at it safely? I'm guessing I'm much better off bringing it in and trying to get a new one?
    02-27-09 11:35 AM
    There is NO way to get at it safely and without risking your warranty.

Call the BB Support Team and let them deal with it. It is generally less painful than dealing with the ill-informed people in most of the stores.

I'm going to have to bring mine back to the Verizon store also. The dust under the screen is super annoying. I don't suppose there is a way to really get at it safely? I'm guessing I'm much better off bringing it in and trying to get a new one?
    02-27-09 11:48 AM
    If the VZW rep replaced your Storm, or any phone for that matter, they initially write it up as a loss. Once accounting catches up they are credited with it.

They are doing the same thing with the BOGO deal. I watched them do it while I was getting mine. If accounting does not act promptly it affects their commission.
    02-27-09 11:55 AM
    They replaced mine just this week. Wednesday as a matter of fact.
    02-27-09 01:11 PM
    I too just went to my local store to get a dust free replacement. I had to gently prod the girl at the counter along a bit but the whole process took about 10 minutes. Basically she looked at it, agreed that there's dust in the screen and said "well we don't really take them apart to clean them here" to which I replied "well that's ok, because I was more thinking it's a manufacturer's defect and should be replaced. They didn't have any in the store to give me so I got the standard 2 day shipment.
    02-27-09 01:30 PM
    ya... same deal here. 2 day shipment.

for this sort of thing is it better to deal with RIM or is VZW obligated to handle it for us when it comes to manufacturer defect.

not that i anticipate (i sure hope not) having to do this again. just curious is all.
    02-27-09 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD