How long does it usually take people to get dust under their screen? The dilemma i have is that i bought a screen protector and i dont want to use it if i am going to end up with dust under my screen because if i return it i wont get my screen protector back and that is a waste of money.
    03-18-09 02:22 AM
    You would probably notice it in a week if not two

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 02:26 AM
    Well it depends on where you keep your storm. If you keep it in a dusty or place that's linty like a pocket the you will probably get dust quickerthan someone who had a holsters it

03-18-09 02:26 AM
    i think i first noticed a few specks under my screen after the 2nd week. dismantled and sealed screen with the electric tape fix that i read about in a thread. no additional dust since the fix. whew.
    03-18-09 02:39 AM
    i think i first noticed a few specks under my screen after the 2nd week. dismantled and sealed screen with the electric tape fix that i read about in a thread. no additional dust since the fix. whew.
    what fix is that exactly?
    03-18-09 03:10 PM
    The fix involves taking apart your phone and adding electrical tape pieces to "seal" off opening where dust might come in.

I personally HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this. If dust becomes an issue on your new Storm, that basically is a defect. Go and get a new one. If your Storm is "old" already and this problem starts then MAYBE......MAYBE do the "fix". And if you do, be sure you have insurance just in case you mess it up.
    03-18-09 03:19 PM
    I have had my storm since day one in Novemeber. I always keep mine in my pocket. I have never gotten any dust under the screen. I have a reuseable screen protector which works awesome and I purchased it off ebay for like 5 bucks.
    03-18-09 03:30 PM
    On my Storm I thought I had very little dust under the screen because I have not been outside too much with my phone. I took it outside the other day and discovered I had a colony of dust particles under my screen! I can not believe how much more noticeable the dust is in direct sunlight. I guess what I am saying is go outside on a bright day to find out just how bad your dust problem is.
    03-18-09 03:36 PM
    If i've had my Storm for less than a month, and found out that there's dust under the screen, i know the exchange Dead on Arrival policy is 30 days within the day you bought it, which i am still covered under this warranty.

Now is this covered by the company (bell mobility in my case), that there's dust under the screen? I don't want to be paying a lot for a phone that has dust under the screen.

Ive just noticed it today also!
    JP
    03-18-09 05:35 PM
    Um most screen protectors are under $10...you have a Storm so I don't know if you could consider spending $10 on a screen protector a waste of money...ones from Verizon work great and they come in packs of 3
    03-18-09 05:46 PM
    Screen protectors aren't going to keep dust out though.... Has no bearing on whether or not dust will enter.
    03-18-09 05:54 PM
    For your peace of mind, I have never used a screen protector, and I have no scratches on my screen. I do have dust but not a single scratch after three months of use. The screen is durable.

03-18-09 06:15 PM
    How long does it usually take people to get dust under their screen? The dilemma i have is that i bought a screen protector and i dont want to use it if i am going to end up with dust under my screen because if i return it i wont get my screen protector back and that is a waste of money.
    I've had my current storm since January and I've yet to get any dust under the screen.

03-18-09 06:18 PM
    I had my storm since day 1 (november). I don't have a case or screen protector. I keep it in my pocket and use the heck out of it. I started getting dust right away, but didn't really let it bother me until i've recently started watching movies. I figured I'd call and see what Verizon recommended. They instantly said they'd replace the phone. They said a bad batch had problems with screen dust and I received a new/like new phone the next day. This was 2 weeks ago (well past 30 days). The new one i have has yet to get any dust.
    03-18-09 08:42 PM
    This is a known issue with the storm. Don't try any fixes just call them untill they replace it.

03-18-09 09:37 PM
    This is a known issue with the storm. Don't try any fixes just call them untill they replace it.
    Thanks, that's what i wanted to know, if it was considered ''under warranty'' ill go back to the Bell mobility store for a 3rd phone!

Thanks
    JP
    03-19-09 05:07 AM
    My original storm starting getting dust immediately. I took it to the store and they said it was a defect. My replacement has had no dust for two months and it sits in my pocket.

03-19-09 07:52 AM
    I also do not recommend taking apart the phone to apply tape around the display. This device is far more delicate compared to previous blackberry models that were service friendly.
    03-19-09 08:02 AM
    Wow, I just read this thread yesterday and now I just discovered a couple dust particles under the upper left edge of my screen. Damn it!

03-19-09 08:21 AM
    I had my original launch Storm yet, and it was really getting bad with dust, so I called, and they are replacing it without question. I didn't even ask to replace it, and they offered it up. Apparently there is issue with originals, and its in their notes.
    03-19-09 09:17 AM
    Wow, I just read this thread yesterday and now I just discovered a couple dust particles under the upper left edge of my screen. Damn it!

Exactly same place where i have dust, called the Bell Mobiliy Store, and they told me that they wont change it, that its normal! WTF?!?! Called the extended warranty Smart/Phone Care, and they will exchange it right up without a hassle! Now will they send me a refurbished or brand new one, who knows!!

This sucks balls!
    JP
    03-19-09 09:20 AM
    Yeah, I have dust under my screen, but the only time I notice it is in direct sunlight, so when I'm outside it's annoying, but that isn't where I normally use my phone, so it doesn't bother me at all.
    03-19-09 09:25 AM
    Just went in into a Bell Mobility Store, and they wont do anything about the dust, ''its not a problem'' they told me, so if I send it to Assurion, will they charge me if they don�t find the dust? With Bell Mobility I only get 2 replacements with me paying a deductible, so does this fall in that category? Or just a manufacturer's defect?

Thanks
    JP
    03-19-09 12:33 PM
    Sorry, this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly does dust under the screen look like? Im having a hard time understanding how dust could get "under" the screen and still be visible? If it was under the screen, wouldn't this mean it was behind it?

I'm just trying to figure out what to be watching for. Also has this problem been fixed yet in the newest models? I just got my Storm a couple days ago.

Thanks everyone, PS. I Love the CrackBerry!
    03-19-09 12:47 PM
    Had my second Storm for about a month I think. I just noticed dust under the screen again today!

I work in an office and look after my device - it's cased when it's not at my ear!

Anyway - Storm #3 is on it's way second day air!
    03-19-09 12:54 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD