I just drop my phone in the sink guys. The screen wasnt responsive at first then i pulled the battery and dried it off. I put it back in and the phone seems to be alright but now has a steady red light and it blinks green every couple seconds. What should I do? I have insurance.
    02-19-09 08:13 AM
    Then make the insurance claim. Done.

If you really want to save the $50, take the battery out, and let it dry completely for a few hours. Then boot it back up. That should have been your first step.
    02-19-09 08:18 AM
    At least it wasn't a teacup.....

feel for ya pal, hope you got insurance.
    02-19-09 08:20 AM
    Yeah, I would keep the battery out and let it dry out. Phone and battery in asunny window saved me a few times.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 08:33 AM
    remove battery, place phone and battery in a plastic baggy with dried rice for at least 24 hours.....your phone MAY survive
    edit: but water damage is tricky, sometimes it doesn't show up for a while
    02-19-09 08:39 AM
    Not just that, but there is a little red sticker with a white minus sign through the middle. From what I have seen on previous threads is that the sticker is a water detector you said you have insurance, just get it replaced!
    02-19-09 08:43 AM
    Over time the connections on the circuit board will corrode, possibly shorting it out in the future. Better to just get it replaced now and not be without a phone when/if it dies.
    02-19-09 09:12 AM
    I could be wrong but I dont think insurance will cover the phone if the sticker is red.
    Good luck anyway though!
    02-19-09 09:15 AM
    insurance will cover the phone

only problem is that youll get a refurbished phone from assurion, which means theres a 80% chance its going to have some problems (at least in my experience).
    02-19-09 09:18 AM
    I could be wrong but I dont think insurance will cover the phone if the sticker is red.
    Good luck anyway though!
    With Sprint, its definitely covered. I dont know about other carriers. Also, I read that the deductible for BlackBerries is going up from $50 to $100; not sure when thats going to start.
    02-19-09 09:21 AM
    The insurance is for when the sticker is red, indicating water damage. If the sticker is not red, and there's no other signs of water damage, then you can take it to your carrier and get it swapped out for a new one, IF its acting up. Sometimes you'll be just fine. Mind you, however, ANY water damage or indication that there is water damage, will void the warranty and you will not get a free replacement from your carrier. Then you HAVE to go through the insurance and pay $50.

I've had customers buy a new battery (no red sticker), put that in the phone, and then go to a different store and try to get the phone swapped out that way. Of course that won't work if the phone itself has a moisture indicator.
    02-19-09 09:22 AM
    Good luck anyway though!
    I have never got a drop of water on my storm....my sticker is red with a white minus sign....this sticker has been red since i got it...so i am pretty sure it is suppose to be red...unless you guys mean completely red with no minus sign?
    Last edited by ademidio453; 02-19-09 at 09:27 AM.
    02-19-09 09:25 AM
    Not just that, but there is a little red sticker with a white minus sign through the middle. From what I have seen on previous threads is that the sticker is a water detector you said you have insurance, just get it replaced!
    I just thought of this. Why don't we all just remove our little red tattletale sticker and keep it, safe and dry, on a piece of sticker backing paper in a drawer or somewhere... Then, if you ever need to return the phone for repair, put it back in place?

They seem easy enough to remove and reattach, I did it to adjust the Torx screws and it turned out just fine.
    02-19-09 09:27 AM
    I just thought of this. Why don't we all just remove our little red tattletale sticker and keep it, safe and dry, on a piece of sticker backing paper in a drawer or somewhere... Then, if you ever need to return the phone for repair, put it back in place?

They seem easy enough to remove and reattach, I did it to adjust the Torx screws and it turned out just fine.
    haha sounds like a good idea bud
    02-19-09 09:29 AM
    If I were you I would have left it sitting for a day or two before i even tried turning it back on again. A lot of the time you can really salvage electronics that have gotten wet. The problem comes when the user turns them on.

I used to work at a helpdesk fixing laptops, and people would spill stuff on their computers all the time. It was almost instinctual for them to turn the computers on as soon as they got wet... Once it was turned all, all bets were off. Motherboard often fried... The people that were smart, pulled the battery and left just brought us the computer often got away with just needing a keyboard replacement at the very most, some times nothing had to be replaced at all.

If you are getting a constant red light that flashes green it is probably an indicator of water damage to a certain component, if i were you I would suck it up and pay the 50 bucks to get a new phone... It sure beats trying to use a phone that could really tweak out badly, at least right now it is functioning enough to do backups of so you can save your data. You may not be so lucky in 2 weeks time.
    02-19-09 09:33 AM
    I have never got a drop of water on my storm....my sticker is red with a white minus sign....this sticker has been red since i got it...so i am pretty sure it is suppose to be red...unless you guys mean completely red with no minus sign?
    LOL! That's a sticker covering a screw, I believe. The red sticker with the minus means that you shouldn't mess with what's under it. The tattletale sticker is, I believe, white.
    02-19-09 09:36 AM
    I just drop my phone in the sink guys. The screen wasnt responsive at first then i pulled the battery and dried it off. I put it back in and the phone seems to be alright but now has a steady red light and it blinks green every couple seconds. What should I do? I have insurance.
    dont tell them you dropped it in water. just tell them you lost it. we have had assurion reject claims before because they said they didnt cover water damage.
    02-19-09 09:46 AM
    insurance will cover the phone

only problem is that youll get a refurbished phone from assurion, which means theres a 80% chance its going to have some problems (at least in my experience).
    well the phone i have now was from insurance claim because my first storm the screen cracked and the phone they sent me was brand new.
    02-19-09 09:53 AM
    The phone seems to be working fine. Should I still file a claim?
    02-19-09 10:32 AM
    I agree with rockstar323 and just claim you lost it.

02-19-09 10:43 AM
    Hello. First of all I'm glad to be a part of your community. I am a cell phone technician from south texas. In your case, if your not afraid to open the berry I would get some denatured alcohol and dip a toothbrush in the alcohol and brush off the corrosion and and any remaining water. Let dry for a few min and repeat. Put the phone back together. This works for me every time if you act quickly. Good luck!
    02-19-09 11:05 AM
    You should always keep your berry in a life jacket! C'mon you know that.
    02-19-09 11:12 AM
    Oh and you can tell a little white lie on your warranty claim!
    02-19-09 11:14 AM
    I tried the dry rice technique with my treo when I dropped it in motor oil and then again in fruit punch and it still works fine. Touch screen and everything

02-19-09 11:15 AM
    BAG OF RICE WORKSSSSSSSSSS
    but yeah def get it replaced if u can, i dropped my old one in the toilet, water was seen underneath the screen and the bag of rice took all that out, of course the corrosion def will effect it later on....i also didnt have red stickers, mine were dry, but then again i didnt have insurance..
    02-19-09 11:17 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD