Before you say it, I searched both the Crackberry forms and on google for the anwser, but counldn't find a straight anwser. I've seen a couple of form post that say it doesn't count as a text message, but Ive also seen some post saying it does count. I then ask a Verizon person, and they told me that Pin dose, in fact, count as a text message. So my question it this; Can someone tell me with a 100% certaincy wheather a Pin counts as a text?

PS- sorry for all the misspellings =(
    02-15-09 05:25 PM
    No... If you are concerned go on myverizon or call em and have them block text messages all together, you will still be able to use Yahoo or BB messenger. Thats what I did after VZW told me for certain I would get charged. I also check my texts sent on myvzw page and see none.
    02-15-09 05:31 PM
    Before you say it, I searched both the Crackberry forms and on google for the anwser, but counldn't find a straight anwser. I've seen a couple of form post that say it doesn't count as a text message, but Ive also seen some post saying it does count. I then ask a Verizon person, and they told me that Pin dose, in fact, count as a text message. So my question it this; Can someone tell me with a 100% certaincy wheather a Pin counts as a text?

counts as DATA
    02-15-09 05:32 PM
    Pin does not rpt not count as txt message. 100%
    02-15-09 05:32 PM
    The whole point behind, and reason for designing the BBM app was so it wouldn't count as texts. On Verizon it only uses your data connection, which I presume is unlimited for your plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 05:49 PM
    have all these people been asking tyhe wrong things or hearing the wrong things. Or do verizon reps completely not know their job. Icould imagine them saying they are chargeable as sata but cannot see them moaking the mistake of saying they will get charged as texts
    02-15-09 05:55 PM
    Wait.....I have the $30/ month plan (cause I'm cheap) for email and internet, but I can also use BB messager with out cost?

And thanks all for the info, now I know that I can Pin without fear of using my few text messages.
    02-15-09 05:59 PM
    The $30 a month plan doesn't make you cheap, unless you need BES (usually a work related network) it's the only option really.
    To answer your question: you're ALREADY paying for the use of BBM cause it uses your data (what you're referring to as "internet"). It has nothing to do with texts or plans for texting.
    02-15-09 06:09 PM
    To the OP. I use PIN messaging regularly. It does not count as an SMS message - as some of the other posters have stated. It is data and a form of 'peer to peer' messaging.

Here's some additional info: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/inte...s-cost-127838/

Last edited by bbsean; 02-17-09 at 09:17 PM.
    02-15-09 06:33 PM
    Or do verizon reps completely not know their job.

Correct, they are misinformed.
    02-15-09 06:47 PM
    Data/data Only
    02-15-09 06:54 PM
    No it doesn't.
    02-15-09 06:55 PM
    Ok as stated it uses data only, nearly everyone who has a storm has data built into the priceplan so there is no other charge. Personally i cannot beleive verizon are misinformed, i can beleive one or two not knowing but its not as if this is a brand spanking new service.
    In some cases it will be the people asking the wrong questions and expecting the reps to know exactly what they mean.
    02-15-09 07:02 PM
    No offense but I don't know how I could of communicated my question to the person any clearer.

Ok as stated it uses data only, nearly everyone who has a storm has data built into the priceplan so there is no other charge. Personally i cannot beleive verizon are misinformed, i can beleive one or two not knowing but its not as if this is a brand spanking new service.
    In some cases it will be the people asking the wrong questions and expecting the reps to know exactly what they mean.
    02-15-09 07:10 PM
    No it doesn't count toward your text package that you have with you carrier

02-15-09 07:11 PM
    No offense but I don't know how I could of communicated my question to the person any clearer.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the verizon reps being misinformed, not you.
    02-15-09 07:13 PM
    Considering my noob blackberry status there is a pretty good chance I could be the one making the mistake.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the verizon reps being misinformed, not you.
    02-15-09 07:26 PM
    Hi natsfan, i did mean the verizon reps, not yourself.
    Any questions you have ask them here fella, somebody will help you. Also I may be wrong and it may just be regards the blackberry emails but id imagine that the pins sent through blackberry will have a **** of a lot of security around them. i.e firewalls etcetera.
    Noob status means nothing, there are people that would have been here ages asking similar questions, ask away, i have
    02-15-09 07:37 PM
    Its not that the VZ reps are misinformed.

They exist to make money for Verizon. If they tell you that there's a way to get ALL your text messages for free, then they would be losing a whole lot of profit for Verizon. I spoke to a friend of mine who used to work for AT&T, and he said that they were specifically told NOT to tell any Blackberry customers about BB Messenger's free texting...

However, my VZ rep where I activated my Storm was very helpful in explaining what BB Messenger was... He's a crackhead himself.
    02-15-09 08:30 PM
    ^^^ then ur friend has a shady manager or something. All my friends who work or have workwd for vzw have never been told to hide that.
    Fyi- not sure about blackberrys, but when regular phones use instant messaging it DOES go against text. Verified by myself ob my bill.

02-15-09 08:52 PM
    not sure about blackberrys, but when regular phones use instant messaging it DOES go against text. Verified by myself ob my bill.
    You may be correct about some other phones, but it doesn't matter what your bill says about your regular phone as no one is talking about regular phones. We're on a BB forum, and OP asked about PIN messages. These are data, not txt.
    02-15-09 09:53 PM
    You may be correct about some other phones, but it doesn't matter what your bill says about your regular phone as no one is talking about regular phones. We're on a BB forum, and OP asked about PIN messages. These are data, not txt.
    you're right about this being a BB forum, and the OP asked about PIN messages. but if you had read post #2, it mentions using Yahoo even though text is blocked. Yahoo messenger counts as text with regular phones, which is why I mentioned it - with a disclaimer that I wasn't sure about BBs.

so instead of being a ****, just go about your business if you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation.
    02-15-09 10:01 PM
    No, PIN uses the Data Plan.
    02-15-09 10:21 PM
    ^^^ then ur friend has a shady manager or something. All my friends who work or have workwd for vzw have never been told to hide that.
    Fyi- not sure about blackberrys, but when regular phones use instant messaging it DOES go against text. Verified by myself ob my bill.

He said ATT was told to say that, but Verizon was very helpful in this respect. Just to clarify of course.
    02-15-09 10:27 PM
    ^^^ thanks for the clarify. Guess even I miss things sometimes. Heh

02-15-09 11:10 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD