I am not a big poster so you veterans be nice to me

Seriously here is a small adventure of my updating the OS and restoring items to my storm.

When .85 came out I backed up the BB and used JL to "wipe" it clean. I installed the OS on it and when I went to restore Garmin, it put back the demo version that I had downloaded from Handango. Of course this had an expired validation code and I figured that I would wait and call Garmin to get a new code for the software I bought. BTW the version was 5.4.0

I had some problems that I thought were a result of the upgrade so I downgraded back to .75. My voice mail problem persisted and a call to the friendly Verizon staff got me straightened out. With that in mind, I decided to go back to .85

Did the upgrade but decided to wait to install Garmin and Weatherbug. The phone seems to be working fine so I downloaded Weatherbug and lo and behold the icon is put back where I had it before along with the settings that I had for location. Next came Garmin, I found a 7 day demo of the current version 5.4.2 which I downloaded and installed and viola!!! that icon shows up in the exact same place that I had it previously and the software registration from two wipes ago is still good so no new validation code is needed.

Why is this???? I thought that a total wipe would clear out everything. Am I missing the boat somewhere? Somewhat confused.

Here is another quirk. Just checked the memory and was around 39.6 mb. Not bad. Phone goes to Landscape mode and I check it again it goes up to 41. Only thing that I can think of is my wallpaper takes some of the memory.

This phone does keep me on my toes. Overall, it is a great device that should get better and better.

Happy holidays to all
    12-28-08 08:26 PM
    If you used switch device to back up your apps this also backs up settings for the apps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 08:33 PM
    When .85 came out I backed up the BB and used JL to "wipe" it clean.
    You said that you did a backup of your BB. What the backup process does is backup everything except for 3rd party apps. It may not backup the 3rd party app but it does backup many of the settings for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD