I just unlocked my Storm this morning, thanks to the code from cellunlock.net, and I was wondering if I wanted to use my T-Mobile SIM card in it, do I have to download the service books in order for the phone to work? Reason I ask is, I saw the thread that details how to do that, but I have a Linux computer with no CD drive (currently just using my Acer Aspireone) so I do not have the Blackberry desktop manager and it won't let me download it either. Am I screwed? Thanks!
    04-13-09 09:39 AM
    yes... search the how to & faq section... in there you will learn what you need to do to get your storm fully functional, without the service books you can only use it as a phone and for texting...
    04-13-09 09:50 AM
    I did search. I didn't see anything about not having the Blackberry desktop manager and still being able to convert to T-Mobile.
    04-13-09 09:56 AM
    i think you are going to need DM to successfully get your books to your phone...
    04-13-09 10:08 AM
    If I don't get the books, will the phone still work with T-Mobile since it's now unlocked?
    04-13-09 10:10 AM
    You'll be able to do calling and texting (which was already mentioned) but that's about it without the service books.

Find a friend who has a BB and windows, I'm sure you have at least one. You can use their DM to get your books loaded and it won't interfere with their use of DM at all (as in, it's not going to muck anything up on their computer).
    Last edited by bleargh; 04-13-09 at 12:33 PM.
    04-13-09 12:31 PM
    you might be able to have one of the CS reps at tmobile send you the service books. talk to the blackberry dept.

other than that i seen a link for sending the service books when i went to set up my email threw my phone.
    04-13-09 12:47 PM
    You'll be able to do calling and texting (which was already mentioned) but that's about it without the service books.

Find a friend who has a BB and windows, I'm sure you have at least one. You can use their DM to get your books loaded and it won't interfere with their use of DM at all (as in, it's not going to muck anything up on their computer).
    Whilst you're at it and the opportunity is there open up the Blackberry tools disc and copy them to a memory card or HDD. Then load it onto the Aspire One. That's what I did with mine.
    04-13-09 01:08 PM
    I don't know anyone with a Blackberry Oh well. I am definitely now back to my G1.
    04-13-09 01:13 PM
    just call tmobile , they will send straight to your phone, they did with mine...
    04-13-09 01:25 PM
    Will that work since internet won't work on the blackberry until I have the books?
    04-13-09 01:26 PM
    yes, they will send the service books, which will give mms and sms and call funtions, you then have the choice of buying into there blackberry package
    04-13-09 01:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD