I have a 9530 on VZW. If I unlock it and go to a GSM network (such as overseas) do I have to install a different radio (.sfi) file?
    06-15-09 11:53 AM
    No, I think the only thing you would have to change is your network settings from 1xEV to Global.
    06-15-09 11:58 AM
    No, I think the only thing you would have to change is your network settings from 1xEV to Global.
    So what's the difference between a 9500 and a 9530?
    06-15-09 12:00 PM
    I have a 9530 on VZW. If I unlock it and go to a GSM network (such as overseas) do I have to install a different radio (.sfi) file?
    Hmmm... Good question. It kinda depends on which OS you have installed. Most of the OS's above .90 don't maintain EDGE very well. If you're running one of the later ones it might be a good idea to install the .90 radio code since you know ahead of time that you'll be on a GSM network. That's just me though. Individual results may vary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-09 12:15 PM
    Well, is the OS software the same in both the 9500 and 9530? Why do they have different model numbers? Is it because the 9530 is locked to VZW? Otherwise they"re identical??
    Last edited by shivaji; 06-15-09 at 12:59 PM.
    06-15-09 12:56 PM
    You cannot load a GSM radio file on a CDMA device.......
    06-15-09 12:57 PM
    You cannot load a GSM radio file on a CDMA device.......
    If you can unlock the 9530 and use it on a GSM network then what makes the 9530 a CDMA device?
    06-15-09 01:01 PM
    The primary radio..........
    06-15-09 01:02 PM
    The primary radio..........
    I don't mean to sound stupid, but....
    Could you expound a little bit more....

How does unlocking the 9530 change the radio software? (or hardware)? (obviously it doesn't change the hardware)
    06-15-09 01:04 PM
    The 9530 has the CDMA as primary and gsm also
    The 9500 has GSM only
    Unlocking the 9530 "unlocks" it from it's primary radio CDMA and alows for GSM use in the USA....
    06-15-09 01:08 PM
    The 9530 has the CDMA as primary and gsm also
    The 9500 has GSM only
    Unlocking the 9530 "unlocks" it from it's primary radio CDMA and alows for GSM use in the USA....
    Got it! thank you!

What about overseas GSM use?
    06-15-09 01:09 PM
    The 9530 GSM radio is for overseas use therefore you need to unlock it for use in the states
    06-15-09 01:17 PM
    The 9530 GSM radio is for overseas use therefore you need to unlock it for use in the states
    OK, but an unlocked 9530 is good for overseas?
    06-15-09 01:22 PM
    No need to unlock a 9530 for overseas call VZW and tell them you are going overseas although I believe you can unlock the 9530 and use prepaid overseas sim cards
    06-15-09 01:23 PM
    No need to unlock a 9530 for overseas call VZW and tell them you are going overseas although I believe you can unlock the 9530 and use prepaid overseas sim cards
    Thank you for your helpful input.

Does anyone else have anything to add about using unlocked 9530 overseas?
    Do I need to sign up with overseas carrier, or just buy prepaid sim card, or ....anything else?
    06-15-09 01:28 PM
    Thank you for your helpful input.

Does anyone else have anything to add about using unlocked 9530 overseas?
    Do I need to sign up with overseas carrier, or just buy prepaid sim card, or ....anything else?
    Actually I do have something else to add.....
    Just work with me here ok?
    Seriously, do yourself a favor and drop the .90 radio code into the .148 OS if you're planning on using it on a GSM network.
    Here's why..... ( And I don't really have anything to base this on, its just a felling I have)
    Once upon a time there was OS.75, which would work on either CDMA or GSM networks without changing anything.
    The original purpose of unlocking the 9530 was to make it so it could truly be a "global" phone but still have you paying VZW for international roaming and data charges.
    Then someone had the idea of unlocking the phone and using it stateside on GSM as well.
    When VZW got wind of what was happening to their "exclusive" device, they (most likely) ordered RIM to make future radio codes unstable for north american GSM EDGE connection.
    Basicly, "if you don't do it we will never market another RIM device again."
    Seriously, most TMO and AT&T users can't keep their EDGE connection stable with later OS's unless they're using a .90 or older radio code, and there has to ba a reason for it. My reasoning is explained above. Again its not based on fact, but just another one of my conspiracy theories.
    If you plan on using a prepaid GSM sim card overseas, you might want to look into it. Or you could just use Big Red's sim card. They won't mind charging you a small fortune for the convenience of it all.
    Just my .02.... If anyone knows of another reason why the later radios don't play well with GSM, I'd be interested in learning about it.
    Again.... Its just a conspiracy theory that I have.

06-15-09 11:10 PM
    Actually I do have something else to add.....
    Just work with me here ok?
    Seriously, do yourself a favor and drop the .90 radio code into the .148 OS if you're planning on using it on a GSM network.
    Here's why..... ( And I don't really have anything to base this on, its just a felling I have)
    Once upon a time there was OS.75, which would work on either CDMA or GSM networks without changing anything.
    The original purpose of unlocking the 9530 was to make it so it could truly be a "global" phone but still have you paying VZW for international roaming and data charges.
    Then someone had the idea of unlocking the phone and using it stateside on GSM as well.
    When VZW got wind of what was happening to their "exclusive" device, they (most likely) ordered RIM to make future radio codes unstable for north american GSM EDGE connection.
    Basicly, "if you don't do it we will never market another RIM device again."
    Seriously, most TMO and AT&T users can't keep their EDGE connection stable with later OS's unless they're using a .90 or older radio code, and there has to ba a reason for it. My reasoning is explained above. Again its not based on fact, but just another one of my conspiracy theories.
    If you plan on using a prepaid GSM sim card overseas, you might want to look into it. Or you could just use Big Red's sim card. They won't mind charging you a small fortune for the convenience of it all.
    Just my .02.... If anyone knows of another reason why the later radios don't play well with GSM, I'd be interested in learning about it.
    Again.... Its just a conspiracy theory that I have.

Very interesting theory....
    Anybody have any facts?
    Or other input?
    06-16-09 09:57 AM
    um excuse me i have to ask this question. how do i drop my .128 an load the .90 on to the os 5.o
    05-04-10 12:56 AM
    um excuse me i have to ask this question. how do i drop my .128 an load the .90 on to the os 5.o
    .90 is a 4.7 OS so as far as I know it won't work with any 5.0 OS.
    05-04-10 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD