I really like the Storm....the big screen, the extra memory, etc., but I do have some issues that are frustrating.

The battery drains very quickly, I charge twice a day, and that's just texting and emailing, no internet.

The screen goes half white or snowy and I have to do a battery pull. I do a battery pull at least three times a day.

The memory goes from 38 down to the low 20s and the phone seems to really lag in texting and just changing from screen to screen, so I do a battery pull.

I will be texting along and all of a sudden I am in the body of the text and have to scroll back up to get to where I am typing.

I don't know if all of this will be solved with a third Storm or not. The reason for the first exchange was a clicking issue, the screen was very firm.

I had no problems with my Curve, but....the Storm does so much more....am I just to be patient and take exchanges as often as I can get them when I have issues, and hope for an OS fix to a lot of this? hmmm
    02-24-09 02:49 PM
    ^^ I am using 109 right now, and so far so good. This os seems to have fixed alot of those issues.. I would try upgrading to that first..
    02-24-09 03:01 PM
    I've thought about upgrading, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough I can do it correctly without screwing up my phone completely, and also does it void the warranty? I'm still within my 30 days.
    02-24-09 03:05 PM
    I've thought about upgrading, but I'm not sure I'm confident enough I can do it correctly without screwing up my phone completely, and also does it void the warranty? I'm still within my 30 days.
    A) It's very very difficult to truly brick a 'Berry unless you set out with this goal in mind
    B) It might technically void the warranty, but you can always load .75 back on there and VZW's never going to be the wiser. Someone at RIM might be able to see what was going on, but at most, someone at VZW will check the about screen to make sure it's .75 or .65.
    02-24-09 03:14 PM
    Since using the unofficial leaks I have never had to reboot my storm three times a day.
    02-24-09 03:14 PM
    This sounds like more of a user problem than a storm problem - what apps are you running (ie, hold down the BB button and list everything in there) / what do you have installed?
    02-24-09 03:18 PM
    The only things I have installed are TalkLock, Facebook, Myspace, Weatherbug. When I hold the Berry button down, the things open are Application Center, BB Messenger, Home Screen, Messages, Browser, Phone. I have did menu and close, and when I push the Berry button again, they are all still there.
    02-24-09 03:24 PM
    The battery drains very quickly, I charge twice a day, and that's just texting and emailing, no internet.

The screen goes half white or snowy and I have to do a battery pull. I do a battery pull at least three times a day.

The memory goes from 38 down to the low 20s and the phone seems to really lag in texting and just changing from screen to screen, so I do a battery pull.

I will be texting along and all of a sudden I am in the body of the text and have to scroll back up to get to where I am typing.

I don't know if all of this will be solved with a third Storm or not. The reason for the first exchange was a clicking issue, the screen was very firm.

I had no problems with my Curve, but....the Storm does so much more....am I just to be patient and take exchanges as often as I can get them when I have issues, and hope for an OS fix to a lot of this? hmmm
    You should not have to charge your phone twice in a one day. I could see maybe your battery not lasting a full day, but draining twice? Unless of course you have some type of 50 e-mail accounts, e-mailing every known second of the day.

I also had the freezing problem. Once I upgraded to the .103 firmware from .75 I rarely have the freezing problem.

Again, the phone did lag a lot for me too after a heavy days use, but .103 has seemed to alleviate them problem for me.

The screen being stiff or not clicking in way that you would like it to, is easily solvable by adjusting the two screws on the back with a T6 torx screw driver (found at home depot for like $10 bucks).

If I were you, I would replace the storm, swing by home depot and update to .103. If you are not happy with the phone you can always downgrade to .75 before returning the phone.
    02-24-09 03:26 PM
    Those apps will always run in the background. You could set your application center to not automatically update and that will stop it from running in the background.
    02-24-09 03:29 PM
    Verizon has already told me on this phone, if I still had the white screen issues, I could bring it back for an exchange, so I think I will do that. I am coming down to the wire on my 30 days being up. If I continue with the same issues, I will look for DETAILED instructions on upgrading the OS, and pray.
    02-24-09 03:32 PM
    I really like the Storm....the big screen, the extra memory, etc., but I do have some issues that are frustrating.

a problem i saw that i was having with battery drain was that i was not closing out applications. for instance, i had a movie playing in the background and my phones battery got hot and drained battery.
    02-24-09 03:35 PM
    I'm on my second storm, and it came with bubbles in the screen, so im returning it for a third. And i will add that I am more than happy to get the third storm. I had the exact same problem you did, wondering whether to go with the curve or the storm, and i stuck with the storm...granted I am a 9500 user, so we have the unofficial .109, but I can tell you without a doubt in my mind that once the 9530 equivalent comes out, it will fix all your lag/battery pull/freezing issues. In regards to the battery, I had horrible problems, but I disabled my GPS location and it greatly improved the battery life. Also, if you make sure you close programs after using them, this seems to have helped alot. If you are patient, you will be rewarded...I was so close to getting rid of second storm and getting the 8900, but then .109 came out, and the phone is fantastic. stick with us!
    02-24-09 03:51 PM
    I had to go through 3 Storms due to clicking issues, etc. before I got one that worked well for me. It sucks that there's such a high chance of getting one of these defunct phones but if you really want to stick with the storm, you should just keep yelling at Verizon to send you a new phone. I can't imagine how I would have stuck with the phone if I had to work with the previous 2 phones.. Good luck!
    02-24-09 03:54 PM
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I really really like this phone and feel I would be taking a step backwards if I went back to the Curve. I just get frustrated, but I guess I just need to be patient. Our Verizon store is very good to us regarding replacements, etc., so I have no problem there. I guess I'll go today and get the third one. Is .75 still the most recent official OS?
    02-24-09 04:01 PM
    The bottom left corner of my screen, when holding it with Blackberry on the left, clicked VERY firmly. The rest of the screen clicked easily.
    02-24-09 09:16 PM
    If you are having all these problems, get a replacement. Keep the Storm. I tried going back to the Curve and could not do it after being spoiled by the Storm.
    02-24-09 10:55 PM
    The only things I have installed are TalkLock, Facebook, Myspace, Weatherbug. When I hold the Berry button down, the things open are Application Center, BB Messenger, Home Screen, Messages, Browser, Phone. I have did menu and close, and when I push the Berry button again, they are all still there.

Do you have my location turned on in weatherbug?
    02-25-09 07:20 AM
    The bottom left corner of my screen, when holding it with Blackberry on the left, clicked VERY firmly. The rest of the screen clicked easily.
    Mine is doing this too, its tougher to click the bottom of the screen than at the top. I am close to my 30 days being up, I will probably take a trip tonight and get a replacement.

Jim
    02-25-09 10:42 AM
    Yeah, stick it out with the Storm bro. Oh, and you can get the T6 screw driver from any hardware store. Might be a Buck, might be a couple. Just get it, then get a tiny felt pad pack they sell there. The felt pad on the battery door, in the middle of the sim card and mem card area, made a world of a diffrence. T6 and that, Storm clicks like a dream man. Hope that helps.
    02-25-09 10:49 AM
    I truly sympathise with you. I am on just my second after a dust in screen. I've stuck the latest OS on it and I'm very happy.

Personally, I think I'd try just 1 more, and see how the official VZW OS release is, then make my decision.

Just my tuppence worth!
    02-25-09 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD