today I tried to connect my 9500 vodafone storm with qpst..they detected the cdma chip inside the machine as well as the esn number(usually found in cdma unit); and on the data section, the tcp was filled with [email protected]....

That's probably the reason why on every 9500 is printed with qualcomm 3g cdma logo.. maybe they have the same exact inside but only programmed differently based on vendor id. for sure, the manufacturer won't print that 3g cdma logo if they dont have reason for it..

please cmiiw......
    Last edited by Psusanto; 12-12-08 at 02:12 AM.
    12-12-08 01:56 AM
    If the hardware was the same, they would only need one model number.
    12-12-08 02:56 AM
    Not so sure thats true. Where I work we have a few products that have different software in them but the hardware platforms are identical. The only way to tell what software was loaded into the unit is by either querying it or looking at the model ID that is printed on the bottom.
    12-12-08 03:59 AM
    the hardware is almost the same...

the 9500 does not connect to cdma networks.. it doesn't have the hardware to support it.

The only difference is the 9500 does not have a CDMA radio installed

it may be detecting from the software of the phone not the hardware..

take a look at the actual device specs..
    Last edited by noaim; 12-12-08 at 04:02 AM.
    12-12-08 04:00 AM
    in fact, it shows invalid when trying to run bold or 8820 with qpst because they are gsm phone. but with this 9500 it automatically detects that there is qualcomm cdma chip inside the unit. and esn number already inside the rom..
    12-12-08 04:16 AM
    in fact, it shows invalid when trying to run bold or 8820 with qpst because they are gsm phone. but with this 9500 it automatically detects that there is qualcomm cdma chip inside the unit. and esn number already inside the rom..
    "The difference is the network support - the 9500 is a quad band digital mobile supporting 850/900/1800/1900 (plus UMTS 2100) whereas the 9530 supports CDMA-1 (analogue) and dual band digital (900/1800).

John"

also see here
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...vs-9530-a.html

Both devices will work on HSPA networks in Europe.
    The 9530 has dual band CDMA, quadband GSM, and 2100MHz HSPA
    The 9500 has quadband GSM and 2100MHz HSPA
    12-12-08 04:30 AM
    Why is it that the Voda 9500 has the CDMA 3G on the back then? I'll put money down that they are both the same with low level firmware controlling the chipsets for the radio. The 8830 has quadband GSM in it as well, but the firmware on the Qualcomm chipset has the other two bands on it disabled... according to a memory dump with QPST.
    12-12-08 07:16 AM
    "The difference is the network support - the 9500 is a quad band digital mobile supporting 850/900/1800/1900 (plus UMTS 2100) whereas the 9530 supports CDMA-1 (analogue) and dual band digital (900/1800).

John"

also see here
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...vs-9530-a.html
    Yes. they both have quad band gsm and the same umts. the only differece is 9500 has no cdma according to "their specification"..Ill do more research by taking both apart and see what they have inside.
    12-12-08 12:11 PM
    I am pretty convinced that it has the CDMA radio in there.

RIM wouldn't pay Qualcomm Licensing fees and stick that LOGO on their phone if they didn't have to and if the radio wasn't in the 9500. It simple as $$$$$. Why pay for something that you don't have!
    12-12-08 12:20 PM
    Guys, something else I just saw which to me pretty much proves I'm right about this. Both units are the same. Dial #HELP* Send and look at the screen. HW: 9500 and Model: 9530. This pretty much states that the firmware branding they are using to distinguish the models is what controls the radios. They are both the same. Kinda cool actually... gives hope of being able to maybe rebrand and switch models. That should prove to be pretty difficult right now though, since only RIM have those tools, but who knows what the future will bring.

I don't have a problem being wrong, but I'd wager CX won't say that I am... or won't be truthful about it anyway... lol
    12-12-08 03:01 PM
    Guys, something else I just saw which to me pretty much proves I'm right about this. Both units are the same. Dial #HELP* Send and look at the screen. HW: 9500 and Model: 9530. This pretty much states that the firmware branding they are using to distinguish the models is what controls the radios. They are both the same. Kinda cool actually... gives hope of being able to maybe rebrand and switch models. That should prove to be pretty difficult right now though, since only RIM have those tools, but who knows what the future will bring.

I don't have a problem being wrong, but I'd wager CX won't say that I am... or won't be truthful about it anyway... lol

well I am not going against the idea because manufactoring would be almost identical..

which would probably save money..

I know more then one person took apart a storm but has there been side by side 9500 vs 9530..

The truth is though if you have a 9530 does it even matter?

I guess if someone told me there is a wi-fi chip on board that we could activate I would be more interested
    12-12-08 04:32 PM
    Hey, I agree. What we need is a side by side hardware rip to be absolutely sure, but this is one thing I'd wager some money on. lol
    12-12-08 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD