Just wanted to get other people's take on this. This is not about bugs, bad launch, praise or anything like that. So please, if you want to whine or if you want to crow find another thread.

I've been thinking about what the Storm is meant to do. What the concept RIM was aiming for when they designed it. I think a lot of people have misconceptions about it. Some people see the touchscreen, beautiful display, sleek design, media capabilities and think "High end feature phone". Others see the RIM logo, BIS / BES, multitasking, security and think "High end smartphone". Too many people see "iPhone Killer Contender". I think they're all wrong.

I think RIM was aiming for a 'tweener' phone. A transition between "feature" and "smart" phone. The Storm's form factor and interface make it less intimidating (at first glance) than regular Blackberries. There are a number of 1st time smartphone and Blackberry owners (myself included) simply because it doesn't look like a tricorder from Star Trek But I honestly think if RIM was attempting to make this their 'flagship' Blackberry Smartphone, they would have:
    1. Given it more processing power
    2. Hidden a slide out QWERTY keyboard
    3. NEVER agreed to an exclusive carrier deal

Doing that would have had every 'berry owner at their carrier's doorstep on 11/21 ready to shell out full retail if necessary, prolly with extra cash to guarantee walking out the door with one. What does a power 'berry user want in every new Blackberry? More power. They're mostly happy with what every Blackberry does. To make them happier, make the 'berry do it faster. Too many manufacturers are getting too good at hiding QWERTY keyboards without sacrificing form factor nowadays. So forcing people to transition to a completely new interface, all touch, wasn't necessary. And making the Storm their 'flagship' Blackberry would essentially be equivalent to RIM declaring VZ their 'flagship' carrier. Which would be an irrevocable snub to AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

On the other hand, if RIM was aiming directly at the iPhone's throat, they would have:
    1. Dumbed down the Storm
    2. Spent more time developing the media capabilities
    3. Added more 'Oooo' transitions

No offense to feature phone users (I was one), but the Storm is TOO smart for the people the phones like iPhones and Instincts appeal to. Things like BES, encryption, and security are completely unnecessary for a feature phone user. Like all 'berries (from what I know), the phone will wipe itself if you muff the password enough times for pete's sake. A guy at work with a G1 freely admitted he'd have taken it back because he's screwed up his doodle password consecutively enough to wipe the handset 20 times. And for once, RTFM is almost a must with for one of my phones. Media wise, the Storm is 'serviceable' but is missing many features found on phones much more stupid. FF / Rewind, full EQ, camera options and advanced edittitng for example. I've never used those stupid pic frames but I'm sure someone is missing the ability to add silly baloons to the pic they just snapped. And as pointless as they are (seeing how the most they affect performance is adding a half second to activating a feature), fades and wipes and swirly effects are eye catchers. They make people 'feel cool' to have a 'cool' phone that does 'cool' things. To the point they're totally distracted from what their phone CAN'T actually do.

So basically even if the phone was flawless and there were 2 for every VZ telephone # waiting in store on the 21st, the Storm would still be disappointing for many people. The iPod + Phone users would be upset because it's not as flashy and actually having to learn to use their phones. The power 'berry users would be upset that the new kid on the block isn't delivering more power <insert Tim Allen grunts here>. But I think for many 1st time BB users and people wanting more than feature phones can deliver, but still able to maintain some separation from the office, the concept I see for the Storm fits just about perfectly.

Thoughts?
    12-06-08 12:13 PM
    Actually, what you said was very articulate, well thought out, and pretty much spot on.
    12-06-08 12:17 PM
    I see what you're saying, but where's the upside in creating a "tweener" phone, as you put it? Why not produce a smartphone that's marketable to anyone and everyone? Their goal is sales and profit, and every trend in their product line suggests their intention is to make phones for the every day consumer, not just the tech savvy businessman.

My opinion is they were aiming for an awesome phone, and fell short. Plain and simple.
    12-06-08 12:23 PM
    trying to add logic on an internet forum?

are you mad?
    12-06-08 12:23 PM
    I see what you're saying, but where's the upside in creating a "tweener" phone, as you put it? Why not produce a smartphone that's marketable to anyone and everyone? Their goal is sales and profit, and every trend in their product line suggests their intention is to make phones for the every day consumer, not just the tech savvy businessman.

My opinion is they were aiming for an awesome phone, and fell short. Plain and simple.
    Couple different reasons.

Developing an 'everything' phone would take a lot time and resources. RIM's goal is sales and profit of course. And they reach that goal by offering a variety of products. To make the Storm perfect for everyone, RIM would probably have to give up on all their other Blackberries and future developments to focus solely on the Storm. And even then, even if RIM made the mythical 'perfect phone', someone would still not like it. It'd be too heavy or too wide or glossy. There's more sales and profit in variety than specialization when customer opinion factors in so heavily.

By making a 'tweener' phone, RIM eases people into THEIR brand of smartphone. When the next great 'berry comes out, people have already gained familiarity with how RIM's smartphone works and are more likely to upgrade to their product (or recommend Blackberries). People generally go with the familiar when making decisions like that. RIM did not attempt to enter the feature phone market. As I said, they'd have dumbed down the Storm if they were. They've already secured their place in the hearts of 'berry users already. By bringing in more 1st time smartphone buyers, they raise their chances for future sales. My next phone will definately be another 'berry because of what I've found in my Storm and the gained familiarity with the Blackberry OS. That's a statement I'd have never made while on my LG Dare if I hadn't bought the Storm.

And I'm guessing you say they fell short because of either the issues you've experienced or because if preconceptions of what the Storm is. Viewed purely on concept, not bugs, the Storm to me meets the expectations of a transition phone, the step up from feature phone to smartphone. To make a 'Flagship Blackberry', RIM would have to sacrifice some things that appeal to feature phone users. To make a true iPhone competitor, RIM would have to sacrifice some things that appeal to Blackberry users.
    12-06-08 12:57 PM
    I enjoyed your analysis and my thoughts do not differ that much however in regards to "design" I think they made several mistakes.The overall look of the phone is not to flashy and not too dull, its not an eye sore nor a bore, But the interplay between function and design is dim at best.

To start off my analysis lets first talk about the main design feature the clicking screen. Like many have said in theory the clicking screen is acceptable, perhaps it can even be good, no more accidental input. The screen is like a laptop touch pad except the button is incorporated into the pad, but unlike a laptop the storm has no keyboard and with that thought the storm screen should have been designed to handle multi inputs,

example: sometimes when I'm typing on the storm screen in landscape mode with the full virtual keyboard, I find myself clicking with my left thumb before my right thumb has unpressed the screen moreover I also noticed that I have to completely relieve my thumb from the screen before i can select and click with my left thumb thereby slowing my typing speed.

Second observation, the four buttons on the bottom of the storm , call, bb menu, clear, end/ power appear sturdy but have been documented to fall out when placed into certain protector / cases without any stress given to the device!

Third observation, lets revisit the clicking screen and address another possibly serious issue. After all this is a "pocketable" phone and what are in pockets? Lint, dust, lose thread. Given that the screen has open grooves on the sides and top one can only conclude "trapped dust" and that is only half the problem. Not only are users concerned with dust getting trapped in the groove where they can see the circuit board, but many Storm users are also noticing that dust and other small particles get trapped between the touch screen and LCD. Not only is cleaning and damage a concern but visual impediment with gradual particle accumulation between the touch screen and LCD.

Inevitably many if not all blackberry storm customers will ask themselves the same thing I asked myself , "was it rushed for holiday sales, why was'nt it beta tested before release?". I'm not implying that the storm has failed to reach its design goals nor am I saying that RIM is rushing things, on the contrary given the financial circumstances one can only applaud RIM for its Bold attempted to enter the touch screen market but what I can address, hopefully with intelligent and observant consumers posting comments on well established sites such as CrackBerry.com we can give insight with progressive and constructive comments which in turn will attract RIM agents to push upgrades and design changes.
    12-06-08 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD