As much as I feel bad posting this.....a friend of mine just dropped his storm from about waist high. Said the screen popped right off and now he has a nice LCD screen like crack and can't see sh*t. Luckily he didn't change his convenience button so he can use voice dial. (funny...I switched mine to calendar first thing)

Anyway....he was surprised and crushed. He's back to the pearl until his insurance kicks in and he gets a new one. Wonder how long he'll have to wait.

Funny thing is, he lives in Syracuse and I live in Buffalo. Just got done talking about how both having these phones has brought us together with the constant daily Berry Messenger and constant calls to discuss this thing.

Just thought I would share. I already had one drop from about waist high onto a kitchen floor, but I escaped with a battery cover popping off and that's it.

Guess thats not what you want to hear about the classic "first-drop" story!
    11-28-08 04:27 PM
    I guess that's why people get the insurance for $5/month.
    11-28-08 04:46 PM
    Yikes! I wonder if there is a refurb market yet, or if he is one of the EXTREMELY lucky insurance users that will get a brand new device. I've had two phones from the refurb market, and they both sucked compared to the unbroken/then fixed phone.
    11-28-08 04:48 PM
    It was quite literally a "dropped call" HAHAHA. Sorry that was really bad. I'm sorry to hear that a storm's life has ended prematurely and that now your friend has to wait to get a new one...
    11-28-08 04:48 PM
    i think its fine , get a case and your good in no way is this a POS phone.
    11-28-08 05:40 PM
    I am worried, i have dropped my moto Q, 50 times atleast onto concrete, from ear height (6 ft), etc. worst case every time? battery pops out. I am realizing now, this may be a problem for me. i just forget thats its on my lap in the car, thats the main issue. when i get out, smash on the pavement.

all my q had for protection was a invisisheild.
    11-28-08 06:03 PM
    That is what worries me about the thought of having a touch screen device, my curve can handle a fall, and so could my Blackjack, I don't think they storm could. I hope he gets his replacement soon!
    11-28-08 06:10 PM
    Pic please. Show the proof

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 06:13 PM
    Physical quality is isht on the Storm. No doubt your friend was surprised because the last time he dropped his Pearl, the extent of the damage was probably the battery falling out if even that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd expect the screen to crack if you dropped it hard enough on it, but for the screen to just "pop" off is just lame. There's going to be A LOT of insurance claims on this POS phone. Thumbs up RIM on a quality product.
    honestly if you don't like the phone thats your opinion but I have seen you take it one step to far many many times. If you hate the phone that much go post in the forums were you like the phone... I am not saying we don't want your opinion on things but jeez every other thread I look at your bashing something about it..

We get it you don't like it your point is made.
    11-28-08 06:20 PM
    Physical quality is isht on the Storm. No doubt your friend was surprised because the last time he dropped his Pearl, the extent of the damage was probably the battery falling out if even that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd expect the screen to crack if you dropped it hard enough on it, but for the screen to just "pop" off is just lame. There's going to be A LOT of insurance claims on this POS phone. Thumbs up RIM on a quality product.
    Tell us how you really feel about the Storm.
    I think the build quality is OK. I know you are a good contributer to CB forums. Sorry you are dissapointed with the phone.

I'm keeping my insurance for sure though! The floating screen does worry me a little, but I think it really is better than a stationary screen for typing.

Typing is definately better than the I-phone. It wil never be as quick as a physical keyboard.
    11-28-08 06:30 PM
    honestly if you don't like the phone thats your opinion but I have seen you take it one step to far many many times. If you hate the phone that much go post in the forums were you like the phone... I am not saying we don't want your opinion on things but jeez every other thread I look at your bashing something about it..

Don't take this the wrong way, but honestly... until you get some street cred on here, I wouldn't pick too much on Dr. House. You might get yourself the wrong medicine when you least expect it.

Don't consider my posts like the above a cry/***** about the Storm, but more of a "let's bring attention to issues" type of post. You'll soon learn that if I can turn an issue into a large issue with constant bickering, it'll happen.
    11-28-08 06:33 PM

The reason the phone gets bashed is because for a Blackberry its a POS. How you fail to acknowledge and recognize that is funny to me. Loose screens, gaps, screen mods with paper, lag, lack of memory and on and on, you will stick to "its an awesome phone" how the heck can that be? LOL

Forget about software updates just look at the hardware! Its terrible.

Do you realize that people that like this phone are in the minority? That says something. Unless you live in a cave have you not noticed the beating this phone has taken in EVERY major review? Let me guess though their "fanboys" or Apple payed them off : )

That Storm poll sticky is meaningless above. Those numbers are a percentage of votes. Its quite possible only 30 people voted so that arguement is dead in the water : ) lol

11-28-08 07:37 PM
    Don't take this the wrong way, but honestly... until you get some street cred on here, I wouldn't pick too much on Dr. House. You might get yourself the wrong medicine when you least expect it.

Don't consider my posts like the above a cry/***** about the Storm, but more of a "let's bring attention to issues" type of post. You'll soon learn that if I can turn an issue into a large issue with constant bickering, it'll happen.
    I can see how big you think your head is, all the way over here
    11-28-08 07:39 PM
    Why bash RIM, but yet be on this site and own a blackberry?

I just e-mailed him...and although he won't be able to get it until he hits his PC....I requested some pictures.

All I know is I'm glad that isn't me. Love this thing...even with the annoying minor issues.
    11-28-08 07:48 PM
    All phones have people that give crappy reviews. I'm trying to figure out why you hang around in the storm forums since you hate it so much

The reason the phone gets bashed is because for a Blackberry its a POS. How you fail to acknowledge and recognize that is funny to me. Loose screens, gaps, screen mods with paper, lag, lack of memory and on and on, you will stick to "its an awesome phone" how the heck can that be? LOL

Forget about software updates just look at the hardware! Its terrible.

Do you realize that people that like this phone are in the minority? That says something. Unless you live in a cave have you not noticed the beating this phone has taken in EVERY major review? Let me guess though their "fanboys" or Apple payed them off : )

That Storm poll sticky is meaningless above. Those numbers are a percentage of votes. Its quite possible only 30 people voted so that arguement is dead in the water : ) lol

11-28-08 08:35 PM

Maybe if you looked a little closer you would see where it shows how many people voted. Its much more than 30.
    11-28-08 08:53 PM
    My only deal-breaking concern I've had about this phone is "what happens if I drop it?" The screen just seemed too fragile. This just proved it for me....

I believe that come December 8th, I'll be a proud new father of a Samsung Omnia. As much as I hate Resistive touch screens (as opposed to capacitive), I hate "screenless" touchscreens more...
    11-28-08 09:00 PM
    My only deal-breaking concern I've had about this phone is "what happens if I drop it?" The screen just seemed too fragile. This just proved it for me....

I believe that come December 8th, I'll be a proud new father of a Samsung Omnia. As much as I hate Resistive touch screens (as opposed to capacitive), I hate "screenless" touchscreens more...
    Don't drop it. Not a problem.
    11-28-08 09:07 PM
    Don't drop it. Not a problem.
    Haha, if only it were that simple. I hate to say it but I have a clumsy CLUMSY girlfriend... the only qualities she looks for when getting a new phone is funny ringtones and how much of a tank the device is.....

I hold my breath whenever I let her hold my BB....
    11-28-08 09:23 PM
    I think noaim hasn't had a Blackberry before he got the Storm. If that's the case, I can easily see why he thinks the Storm is better then sliced bread. Quality wise, it blows compared to the 8xxx series of phones. If you never had another BB before the Storm, you simply don't know any better. That's all...
    11-29-08 11:21 AM
    So I am the guy who dropped his phone.
    Long story short, I was sitting on my bed and basically bobbled the thing, hot potatoed it and then it fell from about 2 or 3 feet. must have landed just right because the screen basically looked like it unhinged and opened up like a flip[ phone. i thought it was my screen protector that i just installed that afternoon, and quickly pressed the screen back into place. the entire screen is blacked out and you can see a crack that starts at the bottom of the phone by the Blackberry button and makes its way to the top. I took a couple pics but you cant really make anything out. trust me, its broken.

i called the insurance company and I got that straightened out pretty quickly and painlessly. I have a tracking number and will be getting my new phone on 12/1 monday. I called in the claim on saturday at 10am. no complaints there... if the thing shows up.

I have had insurance for the pearl and previous phones, so I am actually glad I can make a claim. the rep i spoke to said she has been taking nonstop Storm calls for the last week. take that for what it is.

I have dropped my pearl probably 50 times that i can remember, that thing is a beast. I wouldn't mind a sleeve like the pearl came with for the storm.
    11-29-08 12:41 PM
    Do you realize that people that like this phone are in the minority?
    Possibly in "Invented Statistics Land" that's true.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/off...g-storm-99404/
    11-29-08 01:58 PM
    Thanks Mandrake, I was just about to do the same thing. I believe it says something about 1440 votes. A little more than 30 I think.
    11-29-08 02:37 PM
    We want to see the pictures!
    11-29-08 02:42 PM
    LOL.

and LOL again. (message was too short.)
    11-29-08 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD