Don't know if this has been posted but to disable the SureType feature in the 5.0 OS you can go:
    Options>Language and Text Input>Set Input Style to Auto Correction>Select Text Input Options>Uncheck Auto Correct.

This will stop it from correcting words as you type (which was very annoying to me as it would automatically lenghten shortened words unless you pressed the space bar).
    10-28-09 11:42 AM
    Thanks CMY. That has been driving me up the wall the last two days.
    10-28-09 12:14 PM
    Thanks CMY. I was close to throwing my storm in a lake a couple times because of it "correcting" stuff i type.
    10-28-09 12:25 PM
    But that isn't disabling suretype, it's disabling autocorrect
    10-28-09 12:27 PM
    Word Correction is SureType so changing from Word Correction to Auto Correction would be disabling it
    10-28-09 12:30 PM
    I always thought suretype was having the qwerty spread out across two keys
    10-28-09 12:35 PM
    No, SureType is the word completion that appeared on the reduced layout keyboards to reduce the number of keystrokes and to speed up typing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 12:39 PM
    No, SureType is the word completion that appeared on the reduced layout keyboards to reduce the number of keystrokes and to speed up typing.

Hmm lol then they should probably change the name of the keyboard selection then since it's not suretype
    10-28-09 12:49 PM
    If you're referring to the names under the keyboard option, its like that because there are two reduced layout typing styles (SureType and multitap). It has nothing to do with the display, just how keystrokes are registered.

10-28-09 01:05 PM
    Thanks CMY for valuable info. As a new Storm2 and BB user this SureType / Word Completion / Whatever Auto Random Incorrect Fill was driving me nuts. With your advise and some trial and error (see below) I was able to neuter the nuisance.

The crazy additional roadblock was that the 'Input Style' menu is not always available. This option between 'Word Completion vs Auto Correction' seems to be available only if one has used the full keyboard the last time one was entering something. In other words, the contents of 'Language and Text Input' menu change according to what input method one has happened to choose in some user-level app (email, browser).

I am pretty good in just going through all options, but had not found your solution. In hindsight the reason being that once the administrative interface is not static and independent of the status of some application in the system, the number of permutations will just kill you. Not very user friendly.
    11-25-09 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD