Hey all,

Today I was thinking that it would be really nice to be able to DISABLE the accelerometer, and set one of the sidekeys to switch the screen orientation. Anyone think that this is even a remote possibility? Sometimes I find that it switches to landscape a little bit too easily.
    12-04-08 12:57 AM
    I think the whole idea of an accelerometer for switching from landscape to portrait is dumb in the first place. So I agree with you, a side button to switch orientation would be GREAT! But I doubt its possible considering the Accelerometer activation is probably built into the OS.
    12-04-08 01:06 AM
    Yeah, I honestly think I would prefer to switch it manually too. I'm constantly leaning one way or another or something while I'm doing something and it will switch back and forth. Worst is when I'm in landscape typing and I tilt it a little forward so that my display view turns upside down...lol! Antoher thing is when using GPS in the car and having the orientation switch. Granted this is while sitting on the seat, which won't be happening as soon as I get the mount mounted (huh?). I'm trying to become more aware of positioning, but it is still quite sensitive and my Storm definately doesn't suffer from lag.
    12-04-08 01:09 AM
    I wonder if it would be possible to do this with a program or if it would require an OS update.
    12-04-08 01:29 AM
    lol.... people .... ugh..... i dont think its possible.. lol... and why would you want this gone ? i love this feature
    12-04-08 01:32 AM
    Don't get me wrong. I think its cool, but having the phone flopping around every which way like you see on some of the reviews is kind of annoying. Maybe having the option would be better. I'm pretty sure it was require some kind of OS update considering the development tools for 4.7 allow you access the accelerometer readings via a system call. So I doubt RIM would allow the user/developers access to modifying the code for the OS that controls the actual accelerometer functions. But you never know, it could be something as simple as .enable_Accelerometer(false)...
    Last edited by S3th13; 12-04-08 at 01:39 AM.
    12-04-08 01:37 AM
    Im not saying they should do away with the auto-switch feature, just put an option in there for those of us that would like to be able to switch using a button.
    12-04-08 01:39 AM
    I love the Idea.... Sign me up!!
    12-04-08 01:39 AM
    It's totally possible to do but you will have to wait for an app to come out. I don't see RIM including this feature any time soon. It's like having a HD tv and saying hey I don't want the HD. RIM invested all this time and money into the accelerometer and you better believe they are going to use it as much as they can.
    12-04-08 02:46 AM
    lol.... people .... ugh..... i dont think its possible.. lol... and why would you want this gone ? i love this feature
    yeah, i agree with you...thats the big selling feature, at least for me. but like everything else...different things for different people. lol

on the same subject...wern't people just complaining about the accel being too slow? now its too sensitive?

i get irritated at times too when it switches, but who flops all around when they are using it?
    12-04-08 02:53 AM
    I posted this about a week ago and think it would be a great idea. More control of the phone is always a good thing in my opinion.
    12-04-08 05:46 AM
    For me, as I think about it, the ability to "lock" the orientation would be my #1 request after almost two weeks of use. A close #2 is to speed up the slow as molasses camera.
    12-04-08 01:31 PM
    I have never had a problem with the accelerometer lagging. I just think it would be nice to have the option.
    12-04-08 01:32 PM
    Apparently, its not possible. A developer posted on the Blackberry dev forums stating that an application can only control the orientation in that specific application, but cannot control it any other place.

I'll try to find it.
    For me, as I think about it, the ability to "lock" the orientation would be my #1 request after almost two weeks of use. A close #2 is to speed up the slow as molasses camera.
    That was weird ... the server posted this message BEFORE the one I sent 6 minutes earlier.
    An app to control the Accel. I would def. buy! I would like the wallpaper shown at all times lol
    12-04-08 01:35 PM
    .. now its too sensitive?

i get irritated at times too when it switches, but who flops all around when they are using it?
    LOL ... I'd love to have a way to "lock" the screen into it's current orientation. Mine is too sensitive! I'm typing an email in portrait mode, let the top of the phone go down just a bit too much, and it flips to landscape. Same issue with laying the phone on my desk - it always wants to go landscape.

12-04-08 01:37 PM
    Molasses in January at that! Too bad because for a camera phone the pics aren't too bad if you (or your subject) have the patience to hang around while it does it's thing.

But yeah, I would even pay a few dollars to have the ability to turn of the accelerometer feature. I don't want it gone completely...just want the ability to turn it off when I want. I guess I'm a control freak or something? I can't even tolerate driving cars with automatic transmissions...they make me want to rip the shifter out from the console!
    12-04-08 02:17 PM
    But yeah, I would even pay a few dollars to have the ability to turn of the accelerometer feature. I don't want it gone completely...just want the ability to turn it off when I want. I guess I'm a control freak or something? I can't even tolerate driving cars with automatic transmissions...they make me want to rip the shifter out from the console!
    I hate automatics too!

I found that when I want to stay in landscape and I tend to rotate the screen portrait (favoring one direction over the other), if I flip the screen 180 degrees, since the accelerometer doesn't flip the screen upside down (relative to the face buttons), the screen doesn't change orientation.
    Last edited by bananatree; 12-04-08 at 03:17 PM. Reason: more info
    12-04-08 03:16 PM
    12-04-08 04:54 PM
    LOL ... I'd love to have a way to "lock" the screen into it's current orientation. Mine is too sensitive! I'm typing an email in portrait mode, let the top of the phone go down just a bit too much, and it flips to landscape. Same issue with laying the phone on my desk - it always wants to go landscape.

I have the same problem when I go to pick it up or lay it on a desk, it automatically flips and if I jsut leave it that way, when I go to pick it back up later, it stays stuck in landscape...sometimes if I want it to go into landscape, it won;t...thats the only issue I have with this phone, other that that it worls perfectly.
    12-04-08 05:06 PM
    I use to have a windows ce mobil device that let's you manually flip. Given that option I never used it. The pda got annoying cause it took a few extra steps every time I wanted to go landscspe in the end I just used portrait. Just appreciate its there. Were much lazier than we think

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 05:29 PM
    Yeah an app to do it manually would be good. I also wouldn't mind if it got locked to one side. It'll be nice if it could only go on landscape one way and not the other.
    12-04-08 05:40 PM
    I was just thinking of this idea about an hour ago. Good timing on your post. My accelerometer is OK but a manual control to lock in one position would be nice. My Palm T3 and TX have only manual screen flip.
    12-04-08 06:07 PM
    *bump* any updates on this??

It is sooo annoying when the phones changes from landscape to portrait vice versa, when u do not want it to. It happens alot when im looking at my phone while laying down or something.. Please find a way to lock it.
    12-22-08 06:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD