hey guys -

my blackberry storm (verizon) was running really slow so my brother decided to try and see what was up. we deleted visual voicemail and vz navigator, and his runs fine. what he noticed was under device memory, my storm only reads around 500 kB of storage, while his reads 872 mb. he thinks this has something to do with why it is laggy and such, but when we plugged the phone into the computer there were no signs of files etc on my device memory. (everything is on the card)

so what we'd like to know is - why is there a lack of device memory? and could this be what's slowing down my phone

-thanks
    01-02-09 03:57 PM
    Well a difference of 871.5 MB does not make any sense can you post EXACTLY the number you see under options MEMORY>>>>>device memory
    01-02-09 04:10 PM
    This is what it says under options/memory (exactly):

Device Memory
    Total Space 879.2 MB
    Free Space 496.0 KB

????
    01-02-09 04:19 PM
    Not good what OS?
    01-02-09 04:45 PM
    I would go to media then hit the BB menu use explore go to system then samples then check all the usuals pictures, movies, etc and check your internal memory not your SD card...post results here...secondly check your camera options and make sure it is set to save to sd card (memory) card
    Last edited by spaciorek; 01-02-09 at 04:49 PM.
    01-02-09 04:47 PM
    Have you been saving pictures and/or videos to the phone rather then to the memory card? Just a thought, but that is a really low amount of device memory no doubt.
    01-02-09 04:49 PM
    I just got this phone a couple weeks ago so sorry if I have no idea about some things (what's OS?) but we did check the device memory on the computer and there was nothing in any of the folders, everything's saved to the device memory. I don't get it. I did the explore thing you said, can I delete the sample pics? Is that what's taking up all the memory? That much?
    01-02-09 04:54 PM
    I meant everything's saved to the memory card.
    01-02-09 04:57 PM
    Check the folders named ringtones videos and tell me what is in the system folder You can check os by going to options
    about

OS means Operating System
    01-02-09 05:10 PM
    Oh, hah, thanks!

Under Blackberry 1 there's nothing in either of those folders. In Blackberry 2 (which is the memory card right?) I have one video and BBThumbs which was already there and 6.45 GB available.
    01-02-09 05:16 PM
    IF it was me I would do a wipe and install of the OS. If I were you I would read every sticky up top on how to reload the OS
    01-02-09 05:18 PM
    Thanks for your help!
    01-02-09 05:27 PM
    hey guys, it's her brother. quick question - say she took a bunch of pictures and they were indeed saved to the phone memory, would they show up under blackberry 1 on the computer? I have a suspicion that this is the problem, because she does take a lot of pictures.. so does anyone know if they'd show up under blackberry 1?

she has .75 OS btw - the verizon OTA update
    01-02-09 11:43 PM
    So i'm guessing you are using Mass Storage mode to check what is on Blackberry1 vs Blackberry2.

Whenever I have connected a BB that way, the phone shows up as Blackberry1, and the media card shows as Blackberry2. I don't know if this is always the case, maybe one of the smarter folks around here can tell us more about that.

The way to tell for sure is to browse into each of the folders. Make sure you set yourself up to view hidden folders, and poke around in there a little bit.

The phone is going to have a bunch of hidden folders called applications and appdata and some other things like that. If you see that on Blackberry1, you know you are definitly on the phone. I would suspect that is the case, given how low the device memory is.

Once you figure this out, let us know if we can help more, sounds like you are at least on the right track.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!
    01-03-09 01:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD