No matter how much I love my Storm, sometimes I do feel the implementation of SurePress is a big deal breaker of all time. There's nothing we can so about the hardware itself so I have a suggestion to make here. I do feel its possible to have firmware update to enable registering the letters without having to press the screen. Its just like while using Opera Mini 5 b2..if you notice, we don't have to actually press the screen to execute the actions. Its a big plus. However crucial actions like"send, delete, and cancel" users have to press the screen to execute them.

I dunno, its just my 2 cents. I'm sorry if this issue is sort of redundant and moderator you are free to move this post to suitable sub forums since I dunno where to post this.

Thanks for reading. If there's any RIM's affiliate in this forum, I would like you guys to consider this suggestion. Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 11:52 PM
    If surepress is such a burden to you, why did you buy a storm? We didn't need another thread complaining about something you knew before you purchased the phone. If you didn't like it, you should have returned the phone and got something else. Surepress was the selling point for the Storm.
    02-14-10 12:45 PM
    If surepress is such a burden to you, why did you buy a storm? We didn't need another thread complaining about something you knew before you purchased the phone. If you didn't like it, you should have returned the phone and got something else. Surepress was the selling point for the Storm.
    Really? Did you even read the original post? Posts like yours **** me off. This is completely unrelated to anything he said.

I will agree that there are alot of threads like this out there, but c'mon, its a legit idea, that will probably become a reality someday.
    02-14-10 04:31 PM
    surepress is great, but it slows down typing. An option to turn it off whenI need to type fast would be great.
    02-14-10 04:52 PM
    I love my storm..I really do. But why I bought it is bcoz I need a blackberry with a BIG screen. Storm is a multimedia centric blackberry and yet at the same time it still retain the identity of a blackberry. Sorry if u feel offended with my post..I just wanna share the my thoughts since I see it applicable through Opera Mini 5b2. :-)

02-14-10 04:57 PM
    Too bad there's not an app to make the other touch screen phone brands surepress.

02-14-10 04:57 PM
    Really? Did you even read the original post? Posts like yours **** me off. This is completely unrelated to anything he said.

I will agree that there are alot of threads like this out there, but c'mon, its a legit idea, that will probably become a reality someday.
    A legit idea that was talked about a million times over already. c'mon, get over it already. As to the click slowing down the typing, it's just not true. My son types faster on the storm than any other device he ever owned, physical qwerty and virtual. And believe me, he knocks out 10000 msg a month...
    02-14-10 05:23 PM
    The click doesn't slow down my typing at all. Actually, it is not possible for me to tap the screen so lightly while typing quickly that I wouldn't depress it anyway. It's not like it takes 50 lbs of force to push it down or something...lol!
    02-14-10 06:29 PM
    The click doesn't slow down my typing at all. Actually, it is not possible for me to tap the screen so lightly while typing quickly that I wouldn't depress it anyway. It's not like it takes 50 lbs of force to push it down or something...lol!
    Storm 9530 != storm 2 9550. Different animals.

A legit idea that was talked about a million times over already. c'mon, get over it already. As to the click slowing down the typing, it's just not true. My son types faster on the storm than any other device he ever owned, physical qwerty and virtual. And believe me, he knocks out 10000 msg a month...
    It is true. It is indeed. I type more accurately and faster on an 8703e than I do on my storm, and I type on my storm all the time. I type a bit better on it than I do on poor qwerty keyboards, but not as good as I do on any other blackberry.

Anyone familiar with this forum is not new to the fact that all storms are put together differently. Some have very agile clickscreens, some are dead stuck from the factory, or resistant to touch, or take different amounts of effort to click different portions of the screen.

I can type fast on the storm, but I can type faster on the 8703e because I do not have to focus as much on hitting the right keys like I do with the storm. Having to click takes more effort than not having to click.

The usual response to this is "you must suck at typing" or some other juvenile nonsense. The reality is, give two people an 8703e, and a storm, and they'll type faster and do less correcting on the 8703e. Every time.
    Last edited by l.a.rossmann; 02-14-10 at 07:18 PM.
    02-14-10 07:08 PM
    Storm 9530 != storm 2 9550. Different animals.
    I've only had the 9550 for 4 days and spent the past 15 months using a 9530. The click effort and feel on both is (for all practical purposes) exactly the same between the two; only the sound is slightly different and, of course, the 9550 won't click when it's turned off. Anyway, in either case the effort to click is so little that if I tap them at the same amount of pressure as I do on our iPhone, the screen depresses. There is a very slight advantage to the S2 due to not having to wait for rebound of the screen, but it's not enough (IMO) to disqualify my original comment.

02-14-10 10:34 PM
    I agree ..
    an option would definitely make storms a dealmaker for RIM !!
    Why just limit options when you can integrate it effectively without addon costs in the same hardware ?
    Might also be a part of some long term strategy that they're not unveiling this feature.. As in, they want people to start loving the series first & then maybe roll out a new device that will have the options..
    People are there who wil buy it, so why not make money ??
    02-15-10 05:06 PM
    I can type just as fast, if not faster, on my S2 than I can on an Iphone... there's nothing slow about it IMO. It's just the noise that gets on my nerves. Like when texting in a quiet place or something...
    02-16-10 12:54 AM
    The problem with the 9530s is the inconsistency.

I have never met 2 9530s with clickscreens that clicked identically to the other on all portions of the screen. SOme of you have excellent keypads. Many people struggle day in and day out hitting punctuation and the letter Q.
    02-16-10 10:39 AM
    i wouldn't mind having the option to turn surepress off. i haven't even had my 9530 for a week but i've pretty much gotten used to it. it does get annoying when i'm typing too fast and i accidentally type a letter while the other one is still depressed. if i knew anything about coding for a blackberry i would write something to disable it.
    02-16-10 01:49 PM
    I can type just as fast, if not faster, on my S2 than I can on an Iphone... there's nothing slow about it IMO. It's just the noise that gets on my nerves. Like when texting in a quiet place or something...
    +1. Exactly

02-16-10 02:01 PM
    I've always said the same thing, options. That's why I wrote Motorola and Apple explaining that if they had Surepress as an option, I would buy one of those phones (i.e. Droid or iPhone). To date though, neither has responded.
    02-16-10 03:59 PM
    What I'm sayin'.

Too bad there's not an app to make the other touch screen phone brands surepress.

02-17-10 02:27 AM
    I love my storm too and although I don't use Opera the game Bejeweled works by touch alone. I'm comfortable with SurePress but It would be nice if they could implement that in new firmware. I won't be due for an upgrade for 16 months!

02-17-10 11:09 AM
    I'd love to see this option myself! Surepress has its advantages, but it has drawbacks too, one of these being noise. The clicking sound can be annoying to others when in a quiet setting for instance. I think there is an argument for faster typing also. I have a couple of apps that work by touch alone and they are great. If these apps can work this way, I don't see the difficulty with having an option available. Or an app that would allow this?

Also, disabling the click would not be hard either, there are just 2 torx screws in the back holding the screen in place, and when loosened the screen click goes away. I'm sure something could be done with this also.
    02-17-10 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD