I there a way to be able to tell how much data is used in a billing cycle. I just found out how to download videos to my storm and was wondering if I could keep tabs on it. From what I hear VZW puts a 5gb limit to their "unlimited" data plan. Any help would be appreciated!
    12-28-08 02:07 PM
    Log on to your Verizon account online and click "My Usage" or something like that. It shows you how much data you've used.
    12-28-08 02:09 PM
    Or you can dial #DATA from your phone. Give it a few seconds, and then hang up. Verizon will then send you a free text message to your phone outlining exactly how much data you have used on that phone thus far in the current billing cycle.

HTH = Hope This Helps
    12-28-08 02:13 PM
    Or just type #DATA on your handset and hit send. It'll send you a text with your data/text usage.

EDIT: You beat me to it Taskbar :P
    12-28-08 02:13 PM
    Or just type #DATA on your handset and hit send. It'll send you a text with your data/text usage.

EDIT: You beat me to it Taskbar :P
    Only by mere seconds....
    12-28-08 02:14 PM
    Any way to do this same thing from Telus? My phone is on a corporate account - just want to make sure I don't exceed what I allowed. I am looking into moving to Telus' unlmited data plan.
    01-18-09 12:15 PM
    I there a way to be able to tell how much data is used in a billing cycle. I just found out how to download videos to my storm and was wondering if I could keep tabs on it. From what I hear VZW puts a 5gb limit to their "unlimited" data plan. Any help would be appreciated!
    What is your source for 5gb limit on unlimited data plan? Unlimted should be unlimted. It would help if you could provide a reference for this for all of us. Thanks
    01-18-09 12:52 PM
    What is your source for 5gb limit on unlimited data plan? Unlimted should be unlimted. It would help if you could provide a reference for this for all of us. Thanks
    The 5gb is mentioned in VZW's terms of service (go to verizonwireless.com and look up the fine print on the blackberry/smartphone data plans). There's an existing lengthy thread and much debate over whether or not VZW enforces it (excess charge vs throttling vs nothing).

This stemmed from lawsuits a few years ago because Verizon was canceling service of people using excessive data (constant streaming, downloading). VZW settled with the NY State AG and agreed to change the wording of their plans (to define what you can and can't do, and to set data limits on what they consider 'unlimited')
    01-18-09 01:02 PM
    The 5Gb "limit" is for tethering and for broadband cards. The data downloaded directly to your device is not capped.
    01-18-09 01:02 PM
    The 5Gb "limit" is for tethering and for broadband cards. The data downloaded directly to your device is not capped.
    Sheesh, here we go again. Care to show me where on verizonwireless the TOS says "this applies to tethering but not to data service for cell phones?" I'm not going to get into another endless debate, because no one to date (including the VZW reps on this board) has shown that the written TOS *for all the blackberry/smartphone data plans* are either not enforced or incorrectly written.

I have no idea if VZW enforces it or not, as I have never reached anywhere near 5 GB in a month. My point is to only illustrate what's written on their website, not your opinions or my opinions.
    01-18-09 01:13 PM
    seeing as I work for Verizon...
    01-18-09 01:16 PM
    If you get to 5GB of data on a hamdheld, you have other issues besides what Verizon might do. I have used my storm a crapload, but only came to a few hundred MBs...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 01:18 PM
    Good for you. Because we all know Verizon reps are never wrong. If you work for verizon, please post the terms or any official documents that state that either you don't enforce any caps or limits for smartphone/bb data plans, or tell your website admins to update your webpage. If you can't, then the only thing people can go on is the TOS listed on your very own website.

And this is getting waaay off topic.
    01-18-09 01:21 PM
    If you get to 5GB of data on a hamdheld, you have other issues besides what Verizon might do. I have used my storm a crapload, but only came to a few hundred MBs...

If you're downloading vids, it really doesn't take long to get to 5Mb. I've seen accounts where the data usage has exceeded 10Gb a month and there were no overage charges.
    01-18-09 01:21 PM
    Well its not designed for vid download to a handset, so if you get throttled or charged then that's just the way it is.

01-18-09 01:23 PM
    Any way to do this same thing from Telus? My phone is on a corporate account - just want to make sure I don't exceed what I allowed. I am looking into moving to Telus' unlmited data plan.
    I don't think that telus has a number you can dial from your mobile to find out your current data usage. The only thing that they have listed on their website is to check using your online account but since you said it is a corporate phone only your company can do this.

01-18-09 01:26 PM
    I'm so confused with this MG, KB and GIG stuff.. Like how do i know if im close to the 5G when they tell what it is in KB
    02-16-09 10:44 PM
    hi dak,find a convertor will help a lot, verizon may/may not cap at the moment for phone usage, Vodafone do not cap, however ours is 500 mb unlimited usage.
    It is in our terms and conditions that this is with a fair usage policy of 500mb. However we do advise that if they go over this they will not be charged, although if they continuously exceed this by a large amount we do have the right to charge.
    02-17-09 09:44 AM
    Unlimited Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Unlimited Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine–to–machine connections or peer–to–peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Unlimited Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term.
    03-25-09 11:20 AM
    approximately 5,120 (if i remember correctly, correct me if i'm wrong) of something = 1 of the next larger measurement. for example, 5,120 kb = 1 mb, and 5,120 mb = 1 gb, etc....
    03-25-09 11:48 AM
    Wrong. 1024 MBs is 1 GB. So 5120 MBs is 5 GBs. I did not want anyone that don't know how to break it down to think they get 25600 KBs.

Just remember it starts with 8. So it looks like this :
    8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 and so on.

03-25-09 12:27 PM
    You're right. I got 5120 stuck in my head for 5gb.

03-25-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD