A BB with WiFi WOULD have data. Im not sure that I worded my original question correctly. Im not saying that I dont want data, all I was asking was would Verizon still charge for a BB DataPlan once the Storm 2 comes out, with WiFI, for those of us that dont need an internet connection.

I dont use my Storm for browsing much, and my previous Verizon phone had Wifi and I did NOT pay a data plan.

I bet that once the Storm 2 comes out, many users will wonder why they are paying for a dataplan, especially if they use WiFi often. Wifi doesnt use bandwidth like a dataplan does.
    Like stated, you have to have it for BIS service, they wont wonder anything....
    08-08-09 09:39 PM
    Like stated, you have to have it for BIS service, they wont wonder anything....
    So a WiFi connection is only a different medium to connect to BIS service through the internet, instead of it comming through a cell phone tower.

Is that correct?
    08-08-09 09:48 PM
    Let's make a bet ok. This is the beginning of why do I need a BB data plan I have wifi! There will be dozens of these threads in cuming months. As stated a year ago all smart phones require data plan. No if and buts about it. Wifi or not

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 10:49 PM
    Just wondering, isn't the benefit of wifi faster data speeds where you can get the service? I don't see the point of getting a smartphone without a data plan even if I have wifi.
    08-08-09 10:59 PM
    I believe the confusion comes with the term WiFi.
    08-08-09 11:14 PM
    yes, but if you want the ability to connect to the internet without actually using it all the time, wifi only is a good option. BB's are great for txt, pics, and other things besides internet, although that is a major part
    08-09-09 09:12 AM
    Ha! I love the people who want an expensive phone but not use its features. Assuming it works in the US as it does in Canada...

You CAN get Smartphones without a data plan and you WILL BE ABLE to get the Storm 2 without a data plan. It is just that you will have to pay full retail for it, and again, you will not have BIS which means you're pretty much on your own for all BlackBerry services (push email, browser, and maps).

Verizon subsidizes your phone thinking they will earn it back and more through data and voice costs. If you want it without data, they are fine with that. However they are going to yank away their subsidy to you.

So, expect to pay $599 for the Storm 2 if you insist on staying away from data plans.

Look at the big picture now. You can pay 30 x 24 = $720 for data over your entire contract or, (assuming subsidized price will be 199) you can spend 400 more on the phone for the privilege of no data.

When you look at it that way, you are only paying $320 for data over 2 years. That is REALLY cheap.

On a side note, stop thinking you have it tough with expensive data plans... look at what we have to pay in Canada... and you'll realize you have it pretty good.
    08-09-09 11:48 AM
    Ha! I love the people who want an expensive phone but not use its features. Assuming it works in the US as it does in Canada...

You CAN get Smartphones without a data plan and you WILL BE ABLE to get the Storm 2 without a data plan. It is just that you will have to pay full retail for it, and again, you will not have BIS which means you're pretty much on your own for all BlackBerry services (push email, browser, and maps).

Verizon subsidizes your phone thinking they will earn it back and more through data and voice costs. If you want it without data, they are fine with that. However they are going to yank away their subsidy to you.

So, expect to pay $599 for the Storm 2 if you insist on staying away from data plans.

Look at the big picture now. You can pay 30 x 24 = $720 for data over your entire contract or, (assuming subsidized price will be 199) you can spend 400 more on the phone for the privilege of no data.

When you look at it that way, you are only paying $320 for data over 2 years. That is REALLY cheap.

On a side note, stop thinking you have it tough with expensive data plans... look at what we have to pay in Canada... and you'll realize you have it pretty good.

This post could not be more wrong.
    Verizon requires data plans on blackberries. No ands, ifs, or buts.
    08-09-09 12:09 PM

Apparently it doesn't work the same in Canada as in the States because Verizon REQUIRES you to HAVE a data plan. After a certain time as of a year or so ago they made it pretty much law that you can't have a smartphone without any type of data plan. To the OP, you would still have to get a data plan, however you would probably have the option of using the wifi instead for your browser connection and such when a signal is within range. But remember the big part is you still need the data.
    08-09-09 12:44 PM
    This post could not be more wrong.
    Verizon requires data plans on blackberries. No ands, ifs, or buts.
    Does Verizon really not allow you to buy a BlackBerry off contract and activate it on a voice only plan? Wow, it seems they have no reason not to.

I stand corrected.
    08-09-09 03:55 PM
    Does Verizon really not allow you to buy a BlackBerry off contract and activate it on a voice only plan? Wow, it seems they have no reason not to.

I stand corrected.
    Well that would completely defeat the purpose of a smart phone. If you are only getting the phone to put it on a voice plan you should just go with the regular phones that don't require data for anything.
    08-09-09 05:37 PM
    Well that would completely defeat the purpose of a smart phone. If you are only getting the phone to put it on a voice plan you should just go with the regular phones that don't require data for anything.
    we have a jitterbug for all of those people
    08-09-09 05:44 PM
    I love those commercials ...but really they are great for what you're proposing. A phone put on a voice plan with no data and ya got a jitterbug!
    08-09-09 05:50 PM
    Welcome to Verizon! It's a great introduction to the rapeage you'll face in the coming 24 months of your contract.

I guess you "get what you pay for"?? LOL at the VZW apologists.
    08-09-09 06:04 PM
    That may be so jetman, but I still wouldn't change carriers from Verizon.
    08-09-09 06:30 PM
    Like every one has said yes you will need a data plan but I live in Atlanta where the city is now completely wireless because of Clearwire but i would weather pay the $30 extra a month for data instead of 70 just to use Cearwire around the city.

As my grandfather would say 6 in one hand and a half dozen in the other.
    08-09-09 07:33 PM
    As I understand it, RIM gets a cut from the BB data plans. After all, it is using the RIM servers to handle the push mail and other proxy services. I thought that RIM insisted that BB's be on a BIS or BES plan, even before VZW insisted that smartphones have a data plan.
    08-14-09 10:38 PM
    And to answer the on ? A few poast back no you can't access bis over wifi. Wifi and bis connection are to different things wifi=surff net. Yes so does bis but its also why you get all your push capabilitys so no with no bis you wount get push email when you have a wifi connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 11:08 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD