Storm 1, purchased December 2008, running v5.0.0.451 (Platform 4.2.0.198)
    Vodafone network in UK

My Storm 1 has been relatively trouble-free compared to what some have experienced, but I suffered things like the video not working properly, like everyone else. Two major updates helped make it a much better phone, although it's lucky I didn't hold my breath waiting while RIM/Vodafone got their act together.

Eventually, OS 5.0 was made available for Storm 1 in the UK, back in February. Great I thought, now my Storm 1 will be near enough as good as my brother's Storm 2. And so it is, except for one infuriating problem:

When scrolling in browser or email mode, the Cut 'n Paste symbols keep popping up and highlighting everything in between. No matter how carefully I try to scroll, with my little fingertip say, it keeps happening. Same with emails. All I want to do is scroll up and down through my emails and this unwanted C & P function keeps on interfering.

If that isnt bad enough, I also have a narrow band at the top of the screen which won't respond to my touch. I have to turn the device 90' so that the option I want to highlight is in landscape mode. But I can live with that. What I really want is this Cut 'n Paste problem fixed, and fixed now.

It's been 18 months now, and I have been a staunch Storm supporter. I really like my Storm. It never leaves my side. My brother acquired a Storm 2 in December, his first touch-screen phone, and he's happy with it. But honestly, my patience is wearing thin. I though RIM/Blackberry was the Rolls Royce of business device manufacturers, but with the Storm 1 they've blown it. No wonder everyone wants an iPhone or an Android based phone. If Storm 3 comes out, they'd better make sure it is 100% reliable otherwise RIM and touchscreen devices will be finished.

Anyway, can anyone help? Is this a fault with my particular phone or do others have this problem? Or is this yet another classic ballsup by RIM: fix one bug, only to introduce another, such as the screen lock fiasco? Or do I have to wait an eternity until RIM/Vodafone finally get around to release an OS without any bugs?
    04-02-10 10:31 AM
    I have this problem too, make sure that no other fingers are touching the screen while you scroll that sometimes is the problem for me.
    04-02-10 10:56 AM
    And use the tip of your finger, not the a large area like the entire pad of it.
    04-02-10 11:08 AM
    You may need to adjust you hover setting.
    04-02-10 11:50 AM
    try cleaning your screen too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 11:54 AM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've cleaned my screen and set the hover period to 100 (it was on 1000) but it has made no difference.

I guess I will just have to live with it and wait until there is another OS update which solves the problem or I get another phone.
    04-03-10 05:10 AM
    My 9530's screen is becoming more and more unresponsive...tried endless battery pulls, new (and no) screen protector, screen cleanings, changing sensitivities, new battery...nothing works. Have not yet messed with TORX adjustment screws, nor wiped and reinstalled everything. I press one area and get another area selected - or lots of things selected. scrolling is all but impossible. I am not touching two places at once, though it acts like I am. I have two pieces of paper under the battery. Am out of warranty. I wonder how one adjusts the digitizer? BTW - I know how to use the storm; it's the same house with the same humidity with the same fingers (tips, edges, hot cold, dry, etc) --something changed. it sucks. Verizon user about to get Droid X.
    01-28-11 12:49 PM
    The Storm will always be ****, live with the good bits or get another phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 04:57 PM
    @andrew - oh thank you for your wisdom!
    01-28-11 05:40 PM
    The Torx adjustment is the bee's knees. I was very hesitant to use it when I first got my Storm 1 back in 08 but it made a night and day difference. I've been using a Storm 2 for a while now (quite happy with it). My brother has my old Storm 1. I gave him a hand with it a few days ago as it had gotten spongy at the top of the screen and was resistant to clicking. A few turns and it was good as new. It actually feels better than my my Storm 2 when it's adjusted right ... and that's saying a lot.

By the way ... I loosened both screws to get the above result. There's several threads in the forums on the Torx fix. I have found the best results by first screwing them in all the way (not too tight) and then backing up from there with 1/4 turns checking the screen as you go. Good luck! You will be able to turf the inserts behind your battery door.
    01-28-11 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD