Hey,
    I just thought I'd post my story and see if anyone can help me. I currently have the Blackberry Curve and am running OS 4.5.0.97 on VZW. I consider myself highly skilled with Blackberries. With that being said, I am trying to like the Storm so that it will replace my Curve, but there are too many things that prevent me from doing so.

What I like about it (and the reason I'm trying to replace my Curve) is the media. The screen is beautiful and watching videos and pictures on the screen is amazing. I also do heavy web browsing and the default browser is definitely improved (though still not as good as Opera IMO).

The things that are killing me are the instability of the OS (constant lagging, freezing, accelerometer inconsistent, screen flipping on it's own); the typing nightmares (in order to type an errorless email or SMS, it takes me several minutes just to have 100% focus on the keypad); Opera Mini not optimized for touchscreen capabilities.

I was just wondering if there is anything anybody knows on how to improve these on the Storm? I have downloaded the newest VZW official OS 4.7.0.75 I believe it is, thanks.
    12-16-08 01:28 PM
    I would say coming from the curve is to know the short way around things. Like in the browser, tap the screen 2 times to zoom in. And tap once to get rid of the bottom bar. Also I find that I can text faster in suretype mode but I do use the qwerty often too. I haven't had much trouble with mine freezing and stuff, But It did take me a good week to get used to typing on the Storm
    12-16-08 01:32 PM
    rotating/speed of the os will get better with updates, as far as typing goes, you just have to force yourself to use it, and it will get better, also try changing the "key rate" to fast under screen/options , some say it makes typing better
    12-16-08 01:37 PM
    Am I the only one who has no problem typing on the full qwerty or what?? It's ridiculously easy for me now and I'm almost as fast at typing on it as I was on my curve. People, give it time. You're not gonna master the keyboard overnight.
    12-16-08 01:40 PM
    i had a lot of trouble getting acclimated to the qwerty keyboard on the storm as well (i too used the curve prior to the storm). i forced myself to use landscape exclusively, and now i can type pretty quickly amd with few errors.
    12-16-08 01:50 PM
    I was in the same boat you are in. I bought the VZW Curve as soon as it came to Verizon. I was very excited to hear about the Storm and I got the 44th one to be sold at my local corporate store. After getting home I suddenly realized I had lost the last 4 hours of my life for nothing.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and waited for the first update - still wasn't fixing my every day lag issues. My number 1 issue was typing on it. Maybe touch screen isn't my cup of tea but even my veteran touch screen friends said it was bad.

My solution was simple: I switched to AT&T, got a Bold and haven't looked back since. This may not be a fix for everyone but in my opinion if you need to bang out e-mails for work during a busy schedule then touch screen is a no-no.

You could always switch back to a Curve, I would have if the Bold wasn't out.
    12-16-08 01:51 PM
    You could keep the curve for no and re-visit the storm later.
    12-16-08 01:59 PM
    When editing an email/text, instead of trying to click on the spot that needs editing, lightly press your finger on the screen (without clicking) and the blue box will turn into a black outlined box, and you can push/drag the box to the spot that you want to edit. Much easier than trying to click on the exact spot to edit.
    12-16-08 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD