Not sure if this is a bug or the way the storm works but why does the time not change according to what time zone you're in? Just got back from Colorado and while there, no matter what i tried, it did not change. I had to change it manually. A $5 phone changed automatically... this $500 phone can't?
    01-21-09 05:56 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/blac...e-zones-46190/

There is a very good reason that this is the way it works. Read the link above.
    01-21-09 05:57 PM
    I read that but still do not understand why it can't be implemented differently. IF the calendar and time system is linked, why can't it figure out what time zone you are in and adjust all appointments accordingly.

Example: I have a 2PM appointment in Chicago. I input 2PM into BB calendar along with Central time zone. When i hit save, it shows "2PM (Central)" or something close to that and when i actually land in Colorado, my time changes and it stays as 2PM Central.

That linked article doesn't explain much except that inputing events for different time zones is ridiculously manual.
    01-21-09 06:27 PM
    Then you would have an additional step for EVERY calendar entry. you would have to choose the time zone. I have thousands of entries on my device, i would rather it not adjust the time, so i just have to update that whenever i travel.
    01-21-09 06:28 PM
    the BB would default to whatever time zone you are in... the only time you would have to change the time zone is if you were putting in something for a different time zone.
    01-21-09 06:35 PM
    Correct, what about for those users that travel for a living? you would in theory have to change the time zone for every calendar entry.
    01-21-09 06:39 PM
    Correct, what about for those users that travel for a living? you would in theory have to change the time zone for every calendar entry.
    FWIW, I agree with Saucz. I'd argue that 1. those that travel for a living are in the minority, even for BB users, and 2. defaulting to the local time zone for heavy travelers still works (they can change meetings to another time zone manually in any case, cause the phone won't know where it's going to be).

My previous three phones all auto adjusted to the time zone I'm in based on the local towers, and I traveled quite frequently.
    01-21-09 06:48 PM
    So where would the conversion be done on the server side? If my BES is in EST, and I am in PST, i put an appointment in my local timezone (PST). Would the BES convert this? Would the mail server? And what happens when you switch devices, for those users who switch devices, when the replication occurs what happens if they are in a third time zone? (MST for instance). You would greatly increase the server load (either mail server or BES) for the conversion. Also each time you sync every single calendar entry would be converted server side? or device side?
    01-21-09 06:52 PM
    I would say it would be nice if by default calendar entries could be locked to whatever time zone you have set, or their times could be stored as relative to the system clock.

Of course I could see changing this as breaking some old apps that depend on the current method. So, if implemented, make it optional and maybe throw in a big popup dialog that explains how this might break old apps when enabled.

In the end though, for me at least... While it might be nice, going in and changing the time zones manually isn't THAT big of a deal. But I also only leave my current time zone maybe 1-2 times a year, if that, so maybe I'm not the best example here.
    01-21-09 06:55 PM
    So where would the conversion be done on the server side? If my BES is in EST, and I am in PST, i put an appointment in my local timezone (PST). Would the BES convert this? Would the mail server? And what happens when you switch devices, for those users who switch devices, when the replication occurs what happens if they are in a third time zone? (MST for instance). You would greatly increase the server load (either mail server or BES) for the conversion. Also each time you sync every single calendar entry would be converted server side? or device side?
    Everything should be stored as GMT. Conversion only happens on display for any given device/view. If a phone is set to display for EST, then it'll automatically do -5 for all times (and -8 for PST). And those that switch devices only have to set local time (or have the network set local time for them).

I believe Outlook already stores all times as GMT.

Long live the Queen
    01-21-09 07:03 PM
    Everything should be stored as GMT. Conversion only happens on display for any given device/view. If a phone is set to display for EST, then it'll automatically do -5 for all times (and -8 for PST). And those that switch devices only have to set local time (or have the network set local time for them).

I believe Outlook already stores all times as GMT.

Long live the Queen
    So you want to give up your processing power for time zone conversions on the device? I would rather set it whenever i travel and let it use the least amount of effort to fix my calendar. Also, GMT doesnt really help much for those of us whose time zone changes based on daylight savings time. Means during those time it wouldnt be -5, it would be -4, etc. much easier to just change your time zone manually.
    01-21-09 07:06 PM
    Besides, if you think about it, there's really no difference between the network updating your time and you updating it yourself. It's just more convenient for the phone to do it automatically.

You can already set appointments with a specific time zone, so your calendar will be fine when the time zone changes.
    01-21-09 07:07 PM
    So you want to give up your processing power for time zone conversions on the device? I would rather set it whenever i travel and let it use the least amount of effort to fix my calendar. Also, GMT doesnt really help much for those of us whose time zone changes based on daylight savings time. Means during those time it wouldnt be -5, it would be -4, etc. much easier to just change your time zone manually.
    I don't think you get it. The Storm already converts appointment times to the relative time zone. When you enter an appointment, the default is your local time zone, but you can change the zone to anything you want.

There's no additional "processing power for time zone conversions" necessary.

All that's needed is for the Storm to update the time zone based on the signal it gets from the network. It already has the ability to update the time from the network.
    01-21-09 07:09 PM
    Sith_Apprentice, there's already a long discussion in the thread that you posted. Suffice it to say you and I probably disagree on the "right" way for BB to update time, but to me, while I'd like to have the phone do it automatically, it's not a huge deal to update the time myself. All I'm saying is it would be nice for the BB to do it automatically.
    01-21-09 07:20 PM
    Sith_Apprentice, there's already a long discussion in the thread that you posted. Suffice it to say you and I probably disagree on the "right" way for BB to update time, but to me, while I'd like to have the phone do it automatically, it's not a huge deal to update the time myself. All I'm saying is it would be nice for the BB to do it automatically.
    Yep, its agreeing to disagree now But as an admin i dont want my server doing more than is absolutely necessary.
    01-21-09 07:24 PM
    Use WorldMate for your scheduling. The scheduling function is free and it changes the time zone(s) based upon the schedule information entered. I travel internationally and my BB's time zones are handled by my Worldmate program.
    01-21-09 07:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD