I never had a problem with Blackberry warranty replacement requests, on Verizon Wireless. I walk in, explain the problem, display the problem, and then a couple days later FedEX will be at my door with a new device (had two Curves that got replaced under warranty).

But I was brushed off by Verizon today, when trying to get a warranty replacement for my Storm 9530.

The problems I have:
    1. Random reboots; typically when switching applications, or when using the Media Player... sometimes, it'll randomly reset. I'd say roughly 4-6 times a month this occurs, despite running the latest official OS and keeping my phone clean of clutter (minimal applications)

2. Random freezes; typically when typing a SMS/e-mail -- as I'm typing, the phone will seize up (sometimes hourglass, sometimes no hourglass) where I can't input characters, press Back, press End, or do anything for 30-60 seconds... until the phone decides to let me.

3. Unable to charge with my AC adapter or USB cable -- UNLESS I apply upward pressure on the port connection, and wrap the wire around the phone to maintain the pressure applied. Just plugging the charger into the phone does nothing, if I don't "push" the charger against the phone jack.

I went to the Verizon store expressing these concerns, and unreliability of the reboots, and they were understanding... even laughing about a fellow tech support agent who can't charge his Storm either, unless he wraps a rubber band around it.

But after a battery pull, the tech agent wasn't able to replicate any of my "symptoms." And when they plugged in a charger that they had behind the counter, BOOM, hassle-free charging of the unit.

Aside from the charger, I questioned how the heck they expect me to demonstrate my freezing/rebooting on-the-spot. She tried for 10 minutes to "trigger" a reboot or freeze, with no luck. (Of course! when I need to prove it freezes, it stays rock solid...)

She goes on to tell me that now it's policy to thoroughly verify warranty complaints before sending it out for replacement, and if she can't get it to reboot, then I'm SOL.

Very frustrated at the whole situation... now I'm stuck using my buggy storm (that I've dealt with since November), and they refuse to send it out for replacement under my 1-year warranty unless they can replicate a freeze or reset. W... t.... f!

Any suggestions or advice for me? Maybe find the buggiest applications possible and load em up on the Storm, trying to trigger a freeze? Lol... sad thing is, I'm serious. So what's the latest, unstable 3rd party application that's causing crashes these days?????
    10-13-09 02:39 PM
    just call vzw the 1800number, then 10 mins later most tech will do a replacement. tell them you did a hard reset and os update.
    10-13-09 02:45 PM
    I never go into a store when I have problems; ever. Call, go through what it's doing, what you've tried doing to fix it, and you should be good to go with a replacement inside of a week.
    10-13-09 02:48 PM
    Agreed. I haven't had issues like this but have read multiple accounts like it. Some have even gone right from one store that said no, to one across town that said yes. It's an imperfect system.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 02:49 PM
    yeah seriously those are legit issues. Call the number and i bet you have better luck.
    I also had the charge issue with one of my chargers, the others worked fine. Odd as ****
    10-13-09 02:50 PM
    just call vzw the 1800number, then 10 mins later most tech will do a replacement. tell them you did a hard reset and os update.
    I'll try, but the tech at the official VZW store said she put a note on my account for the problem... detailing her inability to replicate my specific 3 complaints.

Do you think that would be a local (store) "note"? Or something on the general VZW support system? I'm just thinking I call, they see the note that describes the phone as stable, and not resetting randomly as claimed
    10-13-09 02:50 PM
    Half the time they never put the note on your account; at least they never put it on mine. They always say they're making a note, but no one can ever find a note (either they're not notating, or everyone that looks is an extra special kind of special).
    10-13-09 02:52 PM
    I have never walked into a store for a replacement. I have called VZW and been put through to a 'Blackberry Tech' - when the tech could not solve my problem, they then just ordered me a replacement.
    10-13-09 02:55 PM
    Call in still. While CS can see the note, explain it thouroughly. Explain that you feel you were brushed off and that being forced to replicate something that happens at random isn't fair.

That being said, a full wipe and os reinstall will likely solve your issues.
    10-13-09 02:58 PM
    I'm a VZW call center rep and I would've replaced your storm as long as there is no water or physical damage to the phone. Call 1800 922 0204 option 3!
    10-13-09 03:10 PM
    Call in still. While CS can see the note, explain it thouroughly. Explain that you feel you were brushed off and that being forced to replicate something that happens at random isn't fair.

That being said, a full wipe and os reinstall will likely solve your issues.
    Good advice. I'd try the wipe and reinstall to save yourself some time. Although I've never heard of charging problems being OS related, so it would probably be worth a call either way.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 03:11 PM
    I'm a VZW call center rep and I would've replaced your storm as long as there is no water or physical damage to the phone. Call 1800 922 0204 option 3!
    What's your extension, I'll just call you from now on, lol.
    10-13-09 03:19 PM
    I never had a problem with Blackberry warranty replacement requests, on Verizon Wireless. I walk in, explain the problem, display the problem, and then a couple days later FedEX will be at my door with a new device (had two Curves that got replaced under warranty).

But I was brushed off by Verizon today, when trying to get a warranty replacement for my Storm 9530.

The problems I have:
    1. Random reboots; typically when switching applications, or when using the Media Player... sometimes, it'll randomly reset. I'd say roughly 4-6 times a month this occurs, despite running the latest official OS and keeping my phone clean of clutter (minimal applications)

2. Random freezes; typically when typing a SMS/e-mail -- as I'm typing, the phone will seize up (sometimes hourglass, sometimes no hourglass) where I can't input characters, press Back, press End, or do anything for 30-60 seconds... until the phone decides to let me.

3. Unable to charge with my AC adapter or USB cable -- UNLESS I apply upward pressure on the port connection, and wrap the wire around the phone to maintain the pressure applied. Just plugging the charger into the phone does nothing, if I don't "push" the charger against the phone jack.

I went to the Verizon store expressing these concerns, and unreliability of the reboots, and they were understanding... even laughing about a fellow tech support agent who can't charge his Storm either, unless he wraps a rubber band around it.

But after a battery pull, the tech agent wasn't able to replicate any of my "symptoms." And when they plugged in a charger that they had behind the counter, BOOM, hassle-free charging of the unit.

Aside from the charger, I questioned how the heck they expect me to demonstrate my freezing/rebooting on-the-spot. She tried for 10 minutes to "trigger" a reboot or freeze, with no luck. (Of course! when I need to prove it freezes, it stays rock solid...)

She goes on to tell me that now it's policy to thoroughly verify warranty complaints before sending it out for replacement, and if she can't get it to reboot, then I'm SOL.

Very frustrated at the whole situation... now I'm stuck using my buggy storm (that I've dealt with since November), and they refuse to send it out for replacement under my 1-year warranty unless they can replicate a freeze or reset. W... t.... f!

Any suggestions or advice for me? Maybe find the buggiest applications possible and load em up on the Storm, trying to trigger a freeze? Lol... sad thing is, I'm serious. So what's the latest, unstable 3rd party application that's causing crashes these days?????

What OS are you running? Why not try to update to a better one?
    I bet it will solve most, if not all or your problems. If you are having trouble charging, and they charged it with no issues, then maybe it is your charger???

If all else fails, like said above, call 1-800-922-0204.

*I would recommend you give it a shot before you take it in for a replacement. *
    10-13-09 03:20 PM
    Thank you all for your feedback!!! "Just call CSR" was good advice.

Spoke to a "Jay" who mentioned the annotation on my account ("denied warranty service"), and explained why the store was so reluctant to help me. Pretty much, when devices are returned they are tested and the customer may get charged full price for a number of reasons... watermarks exposed, cracked screen, inability to replicate crashes (i.e. fully functional phone), etc.

That much I already knew. What I didn't know is that when an official VZW store processes the warranty replacement, if the device receives a chargeback then it's billed to the STORE and not the customer.

In the future, I will always call first, however since I've never had any problems walking in to claim Blackberry warranties, I didn't expect a problem.

Also, I feel like a backup/wipe will help somewhat, but as said, it will unlikely have any effect on my charger port problem.

Thanks again all
    10-13-09 03:28 PM
    reboots and freezes are more likely a software problem than a hardware. wipe the phone, reload the os, and then DO NOT reload your data. try it for a day or 2.

just like memory leaks, what can happen when you constantly backup/restore your data is something can get corrupted. if you don't care about anything other than contacts, calendar, memos and tasks, try to sync w/ outlook instead of backup thru desktop manager.
    10-13-09 03:29 PM
    I had an issue with my charger and took it in they said it was the battery and they replaced it. Might be the battery. I had the same charger issue but not the other stuff
    10-13-09 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD