basically what i'm asking is does the storm have to capability to stream internet video's better, and would this likely happen with an update.

because my friend has an iphone and i compared both our Youtube and Orb video's, and it's not even close!
    12-15-08 01:05 PM
    No. This has been discussed many times. RIM has nothing to do with the quality of content that sites deliver. It's up to those sites to deliver higher quality.
    12-15-08 01:16 PM
    No. This has been discussed many times. RIM has nothing to do with the quality of content that sites deliver. It's up to those sites to deliver higher quality.
    oh... why would they deliver higher quality to the iphone and not us?!

12-15-08 01:18 PM
    Then why does the video suck on the Storm and not on the Iphone? If its the same signal going to each phone, it must either be a hardware issue or a software issue with the individual phone....? Could you explain a little further?? Thank you.
    12-15-08 01:19 PM
    You both have nice attitudes. I'm not playing the Storm vs. iPhone game.
    12-15-08 01:26 PM
    sorry, i wasn't trying to give you an attitude, i was legitimately curious as to why one device gets a better quality then the other when the same signal/content is being sent.
    12-15-08 01:30 PM
    This has been discussed quite a bit.

The Storm's YouTube app is nothing but a pretty user interface on top of YouTube's mobile site. The mobile site has videos that are of a lesser quality to allow faster streaming on a mobile device. That is the reason for the quality being less than stellar. That is also why people have the misconception that the Storm is somehow the reason for this.
    12-15-08 01:49 PM
    This has been discussed quite a bit.

The Storm's YouTube app is nothing but a pretty user interface on top of YouTube's mobile site. The mobile site has videos that are of a lesser quality to allow faster streaming on a mobile device. That is the reason for the quality being less than stellar. That is also why people have the misconception that the Storm is somehow the reason for this.
    yea i get that part, i realize it is not RIM or the storm's fault.

i guess my only question is does the site send iphone a different quality video? i mean there must be an explanation as to why their videos' are coming out so clear.

i am not trying to start an iphone vs blackberry debate, i'm just wondering
    12-15-08 01:54 PM
    Software updates and/or Youtube Application Updates CAN fix this.

The YouTube app currently (IMHO) is just something that was quickly thrown together to get YouTube functionality, period. With updates to it, the potential can be almost as good as the site that's streaming it.
    12-15-08 01:54 PM
    yea i get that part, i realize it is not RIM or the storm's fault.

i guess my only question is does the site send iphone a different quality video? i mean there must be an explanation as to why their videos' are coming out so clear.

i am not trying to start an iphone vs blackberry debate, I'm just wondering
    Perhaps they are viewing the uncompressed version of the YouTube video.
    12-15-08 01:56 PM
    Perhaps they are viewing the uncompressed version of the YouTube video.
    yea, i mean i made sure the iphone wasn't connected to wifi so they could only view the 3g version for the youtube and orb sites.

i hope your right tho, that software updates and youtube application updates can fix this.
    12-15-08 02:04 PM
    yea, i mean i made sure the iphone wasn't connected to wifi so they could only view the 3g version for the youtube and orb sites.

i hope your right tho, that software updates and youtube application updates can fix this.
    The phone is still VERY new and so are its applications. That's why its important to be patient. The potential for this device is extremely high, and that's one of the reason I got it. Also because its just amazing.
    12-15-08 02:07 PM
    Try using IE browser instead of BB browser - with IE emulation. Don't use the mobile shortcut. Of course it may then try to play the video as flash (which the BB can not do).

Orb specifically uses the 3gp file format for BB Storm, which is not nearly as good as the WMV, or MPEG4 or Quicktime. I tried to use it as WMV and it would not play.
    12-15-08 02:10 PM
    The phone is still VERY new and so are its applications. That's why its important to be patient. The potential for this device is extremely high, and that's one of the reason I got it. Also because its just amazing.
    exactly, i was complaining at all, just curious and wanted some resassurance that this is something that can be improven upon.

glad you saw the post for what it was.
    12-15-08 02:11 PM
    Try using IE browser instead of BB browser - with IE emulation. Don't use the mobile shortcut. Of course it may then try to play the video as flash (which the BB can not do).

Orb specifically uses the 3gp file format for BB Storm, which is not nearly as good as the WMV, or MPEG4 or Quicktime. I tried to use it as WMV and it would not play.
    ah, that would explain it.

the iphone app actally allows you to adjust the quality from edge, 3g, and wifi. i wish we could use the mpeg version like you stated.

and i'm sure if i tried the IE emulation for youtube, it would try to play it in flash
    12-15-08 02:12 PM
    The Storm's YouTube app is nothing but a pretty user interface on top of YouTube's mobile site.
    Is it, though? Reason I ask is that I've tried searching for certain videos by name on m.youtube.com in the past and couldn't find them, yet had no trouble finding them via YouTube on my home computer.

And yet when I use the YouTube app on my Storm, I find them just fine - which would seem to disprove the "It's just a front-end GUI sitting on m.youtube.com" argument.
    12-15-08 02:13 PM
    Yeah, there are allot of people on this forum who are a wee little bit defensive about their device. I think they gots some ego wrapped up in there like its an extra *enis holstered to their side.

Oh crud, now I got that song stuck in my head...
    12-15-08 02:15 PM
    When watching movies or other properly encoded video files on my storm the video can be quite amazing. So I suspect it is VERY possible for YouTube and Orb to provide better videos. Probably would require cooperation on BOTH sides which may well be happening.
    12-15-08 02:27 PM
    When watching movies or other properly encoded video files on my storm the video can be quite amazing. So I suspect it is VERY possible for YouTube and Orb to provide better videos. Probably would require cooperation on BOTH sides which may well be happening.
    let us hope!
    12-15-08 02:30 PM
    Is it, though? Reason I ask is that I've tried searching for certain videos by name on m.youtube.com in the past and couldn't find them, yet had no trouble finding them via YouTube on my home computer.

And yet when I use the YouTube app on my Storm, I find them just fine - which would seem to disprove the "It's just a front-end GUI sitting on m.youtube.com" argument.

If not a direct reflection of the mobile site, it is pulling from the same source.
    12-15-08 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD