I have about 8 movies on my storm currently. I have used many different programs to convert DVDs in the past, and with great success. Usually I use DVD Catalyst, but this one has me stumped. I am trying to rip several disney movies (yes for myself not children) and cannot seem to get them to work.

I went back to my oldschool programs (dvd shrink, dvd decrypter) and even tried some new ones (handbreak, roxio) but I continue to be met with errors. Though handbreak did convert the movie, the resulting file was a mess with the movie starting in the middle and cutting to random chapters throughout. Not to mention that with similar settings that I use on catalyst, my resulting file size is 1.1 gig.

The only conclusion I can draw from all this is that the programs are having a difficult time reading dual layer disks.

Any suggestions?
    01-10-09 01:41 AM
    the movies being DVD9 shouldnt matter. on handbreak, just turn off the chapter options, and make it one large chapter. see if that keeps it from skipping around
    01-10-09 01:46 AM
    Wilco. Minnie me out.

Will post results after an hour of conversion.

PS. Handbreak will only convert the disney movies on my mac, not on the pc.
    01-10-09 01:49 AM
    DVDFab??? Might work. I use that all the time and I haven't had a problem.
    01-10-09 01:55 AM
    Thanks to both for responding. Using handbrake right now with chapters disabled. If met with failure it will be time to try the other. Thanks again.
    01-10-09 02:13 AM
    Disney DVDs have a file format that makes them nearly impossible to rip. I have searched for the last couple of years, and the only programs I have seen are 1:1 capturers...in other words, they play the movie at normal speed and record the output. I personally don't want to spend the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 02:20 AM
    Disney DVDs have a file format that makes them nearly impossible to rip. I have searched for the last couple of years, and the only programs I have seen are 1:1 capturers...in other words, they play the movie at normal speed and record the output. I personally don't want to spend the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    was just thinking about this...i remembered something i read awhile back about disney using a completely different encryption that hadnt been cracked yet. could be why....
    01-10-09 02:23 AM
    any headway so far?
    01-10-09 02:45 AM
    45% done with Handbreak. Will keep updating until I fall asleep or my wife gets upset cause I'm up too late (its 1:45 after all).
    01-10-09 02:50 AM
    heh, no worries. just curious if its going to be the encryption....going to load up a movie if i have one, and see if it can be busted and converted myself soon.

hope yours finishes before i get too deep in :-P
    01-10-09 02:51 AM
    You and me both. This will be my 3rd attempt with handbreak, each time tweaking settings here and there. Guess its worth it if all goes well. I'm not willing to pay to download digital copies of movies I own and can legally back up. Such is life in the wonderful world of copywrite.
    01-10-09 02:56 AM
    Report:

Using handbreak without the chapters on still produced a final product with jumbled up chapters.
    01-10-09 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD