Another question here that I couldn't find in a search.

When I first imported an address book, it was full of errors because I had to create a .csv file from Thunderbird, which didn't work, mostly. So I imported Tbird into Outlook 07, which did a much better job converting, and I really cleaned up and augmented everything for a nice, thorough, current contact list. Went in on the Desktop Manager and cleared the contacts out, reset the sync settings (at least I think I am) then imported using the Outlook setting. This worked perfectly, everything was like a dream!

But later, all by itself, all the old entries reappear. It's not coming from the computer because the BB isn't even hooked up to it. Sometimes there are 3 entries for the same name, sometimes 2, and I know they came from the first import because there are deleted contacts that are no longer a part of either Outlook's or Tbird's address books.

I assume this is wirelessly going somewhere to re-import this stuff, or is dredging it back up from the BB even though I cleared it. And, as I say, it's perfect for awhile, but then I come back to the same mess. This has happened 4 times now.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Dave
    01-10-09 11:27 AM
    Set your phone to not accept duplicate entries.
    01-10-09 12:11 PM
    I don't know how much help that would be. First, there are several entries that aren't duplicates, just unneeded/outdated/unwanted. So those will keep popping back in. Then, there are others where I want a duplicate name because one might be residential info and the other is business and I would prefer to keep them separate for faster calling, emailing, etc.

There must be a way to wipe out everything in the Contacts in either the BB or some server.
    01-10-09 12:22 PM
    I don't know how much help that would be. First, there are several entries that aren't duplicates, just unneeded/outdated/unwanted. So those will keep popping back in. Then, there are others where I want a duplicate name because one might be residential info and the other is business and I would prefer to keep them separate for faster calling, emailing, etc.

There must be a way to wipe out everything in the Contacts in either the BB or some server.
    Are you running BES or BIS? The reason why I ask this is that BES has a wireless sync option for contacts. You can disable this by: Contacts> BB Button> Options> click the name of the address book under Contact List> disable wireless sync from this screen.

If you are not running BES, I suggest that you delete all your contacts off of the storm again then check on the storm to make sure they were all deleted. Next clean up the contacts again using outlook. Now you want to check your sync setting in DM.

Open up DM and click the Synchronize icon. Click Synchronization under Configure. Click Synchronize in this window. This will list what on the BB gets synced with what on the computer. Since we are only dealing with the address book, you want to click that then advanced. Under Folder Mapping, check to see if this is the correct address book you want to sync. If not, click Map Folder and change the location to the correct one. After your done make sure that both of the confirmation boxes are checked. Under conflict resolution, I would set it to notify you when a conflict occurs that way you can stop the sync of an incorrect contact. Do a sync of the storm with outlook and see if what you get is correct.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 01:48 PM
    Thank you, ArmaK. I did each of the things you said. I thought I had before, though I hadn't ever clicked the screen after doing the clean on the DM. This time I did look, and there was a pop up box saying there were contacts on the SIM card, did I want to import them? (I think that's what it said.) I clicked no; I had never seen that box before, so maybe that was it...

I don't think that could be it only because the SIM card would have just held my phone numbers only from my old plain phone, and the re-appearance issue always includes email contacts.
    01-10-09 02:21 PM
    Damn! It just did it again! The up/down arrow in the corner is going back and forth and the other contacts are just jumping in again. By the way, I assume I'm BIS as I'm not part of any Company.
    01-10-09 02:31 PM
    Damn! It just did it again! The up/down arrow in the corner is going back and forth and the other contacts are just jumping in again. By the way, I assume I'm BIS as I'm not part of any Company.
    The contacts don't appear in outlook and aren't on the phone after you erase all the contacts off the phone but just appear by themselves after the sync?

Go to Contacts> BB Button> Options> and make sure that there is only one address book listed, it should say Default.

Also in outlook make sure that there is only one address book because I have two address books in outlook but I only sync the one to the storm and it hasn't transferred any of the contacts from the other to the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 02:44 PM
    What a bonehead am I?! I had totally forgotten that after the Tbird export did not work that I had tried importing into GMail from Tbird to see if that would work, which it didn't do much better. But I am running Google Calendar (which works great!) and forgot that it would also try to sync contacts every time it would sync the calendar. I'm almost certain that's what's happening. I unchecked "sync contacts" from the Google app and I shall one more time go through the clearing process. ARGHH!
    01-10-09 04:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD