hi,

I just got the Storm and i want to know how to get the contact list from my old LG phone to the Storm. I know i can bring it to the Verizon store and have them do it but can i do this myself? I have the Backup Assistant app installed on my LG phone which uploads all my contacts to Verizon server. So this is my 2nd question, where in the Storm do i go to download apps from Verizon? Thanks for you help.
    12-05-08 11:17 AM
    Try the blackberry desktop manager to see if it supports transfer of data from your lg. For the verizon alps open up your browser and go to your home page. It takes you to a verizon home page. There's an app button there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 11:27 AM
    I could not find an easy way to do this myself (coming from an LG Voyager) but I did get it to work eventually.

First you should get bitpim and pull in your contacts. Once that's done you have a few options for export, I tried them all but there was no clean way to my contacts in with all data intact. Eventually, I exported to a vCard File (VCF). I then created a small program to split this VCF file into multiple VCF files (each containing one contact) which I was then able to process into Outlook. From there I could sync it to my Storm via BB Desktop Manager.

Not pretty, but I lost very little data (pictures and/or ringtones for a given user) but pretty much all other data came through intact.

Depending on the number of contacts you have you could split the VCF file by hand - it's an easily human readable text format - or if you know how to program in almost any language you can easily write a utility like mine to split it for you automatically. You will still have to bring them into Outlook one at a time though. It's maddening that Outlook can't handle a single file with multiple entries or at least process a directory of vCards all in one go - truly maddening.

Hopefully someone has an easier way than this but I can confirm it worked for me.
    12-05-08 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD