I am considering the storm. I have had a lot of smartphones through the years. I have a Centro now and while its ok, its not what I really want. I had an iphone and loved it but moved to an area where ATT does not provide service.

My questions:
    I run an exchange server for our company, I have the option to get BES but if I use BIS and configure it through the system to get my email like I did on my other blackberry will it sync my calendar automatically? Or would I have to do a local sync?

do most of you get the extended warranty since the phone seems to have a lot of issues or are you getting replacements from RIM with the factory warranty?

How much has the phone come along since release? Is it completely buggy where I will have tons of issues or is it just a couple minor things now? I had a PPC6700 I about threw in the lake.
    Last edited by htech; 01-21-09 at 12:53 PM.
    01-21-09 12:49 PM
    i'm still on my first storm (picked it up release day), and consider myself blessed. i'd get the ext warranty.
    01-21-09 12:57 PM
    Why get ext warranty, when you have insurance?? Do you don't ext warranty!!
    01-21-09 01:01 PM
    I picked up insurance just in case. It comes with a 1 year warranty already you should be set with this. Most people are maybe having to replace 2-3 storms before they seem to find their "golden" storm. Just my .02 cents.
    01-21-09 01:03 PM
    If you have the option to run BES I suggest doing that. It does give you that calendar function that you want/require. BIS would require a local sync.

Extended warranty...as for me, no. I don't plan on having this phone more than a year (length of the mfg warr.). But that is my personal choice. If you do plan on having it longer than a year, I still don't suggest it. VZW, most of the time, will work with you if you are having phone problems. Sort of depends who you get...

The phone has had some SLIGHT improvement since it's release. We are still waiting on a stable/decent OS. But the phone is still only a couple of months old. The technology and capabilities of the phone are ahead of the OS.
    01-21-09 01:05 PM
    You will probably find as many different responses as their are Storm owners. Like another poster in this thread, I've had my original Storm since 11/21, release day. I am using the .75 OS and thus far, experiencing only a few bugs, all of which I can live with until things settle down. It works pretty well for me.

I bought the insurance (VZW plan) with my phone. Mostly, this is for a lost phone and/or dropped/damaged. Nobody here is mentioning that part of the coverage. I agree that with a 1 year warranty on the phone itself, one shouldn't need additional insurance, but the warranty does not cover a lost and/or damaged phone.

I'm quite happy with my phone though I have to admit, I am anxious for VZW to get a more stable OS out on official release.
    01-21-09 01:13 PM
    thanks for all the replies! I was with sprint so long and got the runaround on warranties. It's nice to see a factory warranty would actually be honored at vzw! Good info thank you!
    01-21-09 01:24 PM
    The storm is top, I am on my first storm and have had it for about 6 weeks, I would say its as good if not better than my Bold
    01-21-09 01:24 PM
    I am considering the storm.
    I would advise you to stop doing that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 05:42 PM
    I would advise you to stop doing that.

troll GTFO
    01-21-09 05:44 PM
    its alittle buggy still but nothing too bad and is a very good phone. still on my first one since release day.
    01-21-09 05:45 PM
    Why get ext warranty, when you have insurance?? Do you don't ext warranty!!
    my understanding was the extra dollar a month gave you an extra year of device warranty. Insurance requires the deductable and is for lost, stolen, damaged phones. The warranty is for defects in the device. Im already giving verizon a ton of money every month. whats another buck.
    01-21-09 05:54 PM
    I'm not big on insurance for electronics generally when you're upgrade every couple of years anyway. But I think it's a must have for any device like this given how much it is handled and how succeptible it is to getting lost, dropped, or othherwise screwed up from the routine abuse I put it through from apps.

Last edited by Sharkz; 01-21-09 at 06:02 PM.
    01-21-09 05:59 PM
    If you are one of those people who keeps their phone over a year or more, the extended warranty could help you, it's only about one dollar a month more added onto your insurance so it could come in handy if you need a phone replaced for manufacturer defect. Then you still have your insurance if the device is lost/stolen or damaged by you.

If you have access to the BES I would say stick with it because then you could do wireless sync.

The phone is an electronic, no one can guarantee if you are going to get a good one or not. All you can do is try your luck, hopefully all will be o.k.
    01-21-09 06:03 PM
    I'm such a phone wh0re it's not even funny. The longest I can last is 6 months. I don't want to be a fan boy but when I had my iphone I didn't even want a new phone untill I had to switch carriers because of service. I really need to stick with one phone for a while. I always end up paying full retail as im in between contracts. with the economy I don't think Im going to be able to do this so hopfully the storm will flit the bill for the long run. I do like how RIM updates the OS vs. Microsoft. I'm tempted to get the omnia but I miss my crackberry too. There is just so much neg press\comments about the Storm. Guess I'm going to have to go try it for myself.

I'm not big on insurance for electronics generally when you're upgrade every couple of years anyway. But I think it's a must have for any device like this given how much it is handled and how succeptible it is to getting lost, dropped, or othherwise screwed up from the routine abuse I put it through from apps.

Last edited by htech; 01-21-09 at 07:23 PM.
    01-21-09 07:21 PM
    I usually am not big on insurance either. But I bought it this time. The 4.95 a month is a small price to pay to know I can get my phone replaced.
    01-21-09 07:45 PM
    Well today I pulled the trigger and upgraded my Centro to a Storm. Wow! I was really worried but so far so good. This phone is sweet! While I was getting mine there were about 5 other sales of storms. The guy helping me actually had one he used personally and said its been solid for him. I have only had it a couple hours and it really is a nice phone. The keyboard will take some getting used too for sure but its really not too bad. I kind of like having to click the screen because when I used my iphone I would always click on a link or item accidentally when trying to move around the screen. Ya its not like an iphone but its everything I love about a blackberry. I'm sure I will notice some quirks the more I use it.
    01-27-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD