What is the 1xev about..... is it suppose to be 3G... need moe info!
    04-15-09 11:39 AM
    1XEV in caps is 3G on the Verizon network.
    04-15-09 11:41 AM
    What does 1xev in lower case mean then?
    04-15-09 12:33 PM
    What does 1xev in lower case mean then?
    It means that your phone is not properly connected to the BIS/BES server, and thus data won't work. Only voice calls will work.

The confusion about 3G vs. 1XEV is because in the GSM world, they often use the term "3G" to mean "the 3G solution used by GSM providers"; i.e., UMTS and HSPDA. However, the term "3G", as defined by the International Telecommunications Union, includes protocols such as 1xEV-DO, as used by the CDMA world. So 1XEV is a "3G" protocol, but it is different from the one used by the GSM world. Sort of like when the Roman Catholic Church uses the term "the Church", they mean "the Roman Catholic Church".

Hopefully, when everyone converges to LTE, this confusion will go away.
    Last edited by CharlesH; 04-15-09 at 05:08 PM.
    04-15-09 01:19 PM
    It means that your phone is not properly connected to the BIS/BES server, and thus data won't work. Only voice calls will work.

The confusion about 3G vs. 1XEV is because in the GSM world, they often use the term "3G" to mean "the 3G solution used by GSM providers"; i.e., UMTS and HSPDA. However, the term "3G", as defined by the International Telecommunications Union, includes protocols such as 1xEV-DO, as used by the CDMA world. So 1XEV is a "3G" protocol, but it is different from the one used by the GSM world. Sort of like when the Roman Catholic Church uses the the term "the Church", they mean "the Roman Catholic Church".

Excellent explanation!
    04-15-09 02:24 PM

The confusion about 3G vs. 1XEV is because in the GSM world, they often use the term "3G" to mean "the 3G solution used by GSM providers"; i.e., UMTS and HSPDA. However, the term "3G", as defined by the International Telecommunications Union, includes protocols such as 1xEV-DO, as used by the CDMA world. So 1XEV is a "3G" protocol, but it is different from the one used by the GSM world. Sort of like when the Roman Catholic Church uses the term "the Church", they mean "the Roman Catholic Church".

Thanks for the explanation!
    04-15-09 05:45 PM
    Thank you! I've been wondering about that ever since I got my phone. For some reason I never bothered to ask anyone though. Thanks again.
    04-21-09 09:02 AM
    Actually, that's only partially true, but the fault is in the wording. 1xev means no Blackberry data connectivity, which equates to no data from normal BB apps that depend upon BIS/BES connectivity to work instead of the internal IP stack. Case in point... you can loose RIM data connectivity and still use an app like Opera Mini and still surf the web. I know, because I've done it before while RIM had an outage.
    04-21-09 09:07 AM
    Good info. Been wonding about this since I got my Storm, Thanks
    04-21-09 09:22 AM
    Actually, that's only partially true, but the fault is in the wording. 1xev means no Blackberry data connectivity, which equates to no data from normal BB apps that depend upon BIS/BES connectivity to work instead of the internal IP stack. Case in point... you can loose RIM data connectivity and still use an app like Opera Mini and still surf the web. I know, because I've done it before while RIM had an outage.
    So like right now mine is lower case and I see I'm not getting emails. What's the fix?

-Evan
    04-21-09 09:24 AM
    I was wondering the same thing... People have said before "no data" but then I questioned why I was able to surf thin web... Never got a clear answer. Thanks for the info!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-09 09:28 AM
    So like right now mine is lower case and I see I'm not getting emails. What's the fix?

-Evan
    OK, just got off the phone with VZW. All this info is right and a soft-reset fixes it!

Cheers,
    E
    04-21-09 09:48 AM
    Why couldn't verizon just make it say 3G instead of 1XEV? I mean, everyone and their dog is advertising "3G" why not just have the phone say it.

...Relating back to The Roman Catholic Church analogy, showing 1XEV on the phone instead of the widely advertised "3G" would be similar to hearing about "THE Church" and then being told to find "THE Church" when there actually is no "THE Church."
    04-21-09 09:59 AM
    Because 3G just means 3rd "Generation" of your network technology that the carrier is using. Technically speaking the Storm is Rev.A EVDO and that's 3.5G since 3G was EVDO Rav.0 for Verizon. It's AT&T that brainwashed you into thinking 3G meant anything other then 3rd Generation network architecture. Verizon uses the indicators as follows.

1X = 1XRRT
    1XEV = 1XRRT w/EVDO coverage. The EV stands for EVDO (CDMA's fast data capabilities technology).

The whole CAPS and nocaps thing on the lettering is Blackberry's way of indicating RIM Data coverage or not. You can still use data and surf if you in 1X mode, but it'll be slow as ****.... kinda like EDGE slow is for GSM users.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 04-21-09 at 10:08 AM.
    04-21-09 10:05 AM
    Been seeing the 1xev all morning. Did a battery pull and I did get 1XEV but looked after a meeting and it was back to 1xev. Doing another battery pull. Anybody know if there is a RIM or VZW issue going on?
    04-21-09 10:31 AM
    It's AT&T that brainwashed you into thinking 3G meant anything other then 3rd Generation network architecture.
    It's literally incredible the number of iPhone users who believe that "3G" is somehow exclusively intertwined with the iPhone, for instance thinking that there were 2 generations of iPhone before the most recent one was released.
    04-21-09 10:43 AM
    Wondering if anyone could help but I had an issue last night when for awhile the 1XEV was just 1X any ideas ???
    04-21-09 10:52 AM
    Wondering if anyone could help but I had an issue last night when for awhile the 1XEV was just 1X any ideas ???
    My understanding is that as long as it a "X" not "x" you will get text/email but your not 3G. I'd do a soft-reset.

-Evan
    04-21-09 10:59 AM
    ... Sorry, someone has to say it!

USE SEARCH!
    04-21-09 11:00 AM
    You were in a area that could only provide the 1X data, a slower rate than the EV-DO.
    EV-DO, Data Optimized provides a larger bandwidth more like broadband.
    1X, 1X-RTT is more like dial up speeds.
    04-21-09 11:04 AM
    Been seeing the 1xev all morning. Did a battery pull and I did get 1XEV but looked after a meeting and it was back to 1xev. Doing another battery pull. Anybody know if there is a RIM or VZW issue going on?
    04-21-09 11:04 AM
    Well after 2nd battery pull everything looks like it is back to normal.
    04-21-09 11:05 AM
    If I do a battery pull do I turn my phone off?
    04-21-09 11:23 AM
    If I do a battery pull do I turn my phone off?
    no, do it with the phone on. Put the battery back in after 30 seconds.
    04-21-09 11:42 AM
    battery pull will turn your phone off in the process...so don't worry about it hippie...

if you're getting no BES/BIS connection, soft reset usually works, if that doesn't then resend service books and re-register...generally its your phone's connection to the network that gets gummed up and less the actual network. if there were a network issue you just wouldn't get signal, not drop off the RIM connectivity. ya know? since VZW carrys both their and RIM info, they would both stop working...if it was a RIM outage you would see the lower case info, and prolly like 90,000 threads of n00bs begging to be punched in the teeth...er, spouting crap about how their carrier/RIM "suxxorz. i'm going to get an iphone" or something lame like that.
    04-21-09 11:42 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD