I have a few complicated questions that have to do with the relationship between app memory and some things OTHER than applications.

1. How much do email storage, contacts and calendar entries affect app memory? Is there a rule of thumb, such as 1,000 stored emails = x amount of app memory utilization? In my case, I probably have over 1,000 Outlook contacts and I probably have 75 email folders that contain well over 3,000 stored emails. When I check my folder size in Outlook, it is currently 1,969141kb, but that includes a deleted mail folder that is 1,304,238 kb and my deleted mail does not synch to my Storm. All of my other folders do synch. However, ONLY FROM THE DATE OF ACTIVATION (9/21/08). So, in effect, the only email I could get to from my Storm on 9/21/08 was my Inbox. Ever since that date, every other email that I have filed and not deleted is accessible on my Storm, so the storage grows slowly but steady and I am trying to figure out how much that accumulation of filed email is impacting app memory. I have not installed any new applications in the last couple of months, yet my available app memory after a battery pull seems to be shrinking. Is that due to email storage? I am on BES by the way.

2. I am still on .75 and have not upgraded because it is a little more complicated on a BES. When (if ever) the new official release comes out and I upgrade, will all of this filed email that I have still be accessible from my Storm or will the contents of those folders all be wiped out? Perhaps that is a BES Administrator "choice" and not a default - but I would be curious about the answer if anyone knows.

3. For BES users, is there a way to pick which Outlook folders synch up with the Storm and which do not from the Desktop Manager or anywhere else? I checked and I could not find anything. Ideally, I would like to reduce the app memory needs of the Storm by only having my Inbox and a couple other folders synch. But I don't see any way to customize this by user. I'm guessing that the BES Administrator can't do it by user either and that they just have all folders synch by default.

Thanks!
    05-26-09 03:02 PM
    in reference to #3:
    yes there is. I can't remember where it is (not at my computer right now) but i there is a setting to choose which folders are synchronized. I believe it is in DM in the Email settings. I will look when i get back to my PC
    05-26-09 03:17 PM
    Go into DM
    Go to Email Settings
    under Folder redirection there should be a button that says "Select Folders"

Click it
    05-26-09 03:24 PM

2. I am still on .75 and have not upgraded because it is a little more complicated on a BES. When (if ever) the new official release comes out and I upgrade, will all of this filed email that I have still be accessible from my Storm or will the contents of those folders all be wiped out? Perhaps that is a BES Administrator "choice" and not a default - but I would be curious about the answer if anyone knows.
    Because the phone is backed up before the upgrade and then restored afterwards I am pretty sure you'll still have your emails.
    05-26-09 03:26 PM
    I will need to check this when I get home, but I believe the Option to "Choose Folders" was greyed out for me.
    05-26-09 05:08 PM
    Go into DM
    Go to Email Settings
    under Folder redirection there should be a button that says "Select Folders"

Click it
    Bump to respond to the above and to seek jedi knowledge to question #1.

OK, I checked Desktop Manager and the Folder Redirection is not greyed out. However, when I "choose folders", the only folders selected are my Inbox and my Sent Mail. Yet, every email that I have moved from my Inbox to any other folder is showing showing up in that folder both in Outlook and on my Storm. I'm thinking that this "Folder Redirection" option is something you choose to have ALL mail selected folders synch up, not just the mail you have manually moved after your Storm is activated.

In any event, I'm still looking for answers to the first question and for a solution whereby the only mail I can get to from my Storm is my Inbox and Sent Mail. I do believe that the rest of this stored email is eating up app memory.
    Last edited by Sharkz; 05-26-09 at 09:53 PM.
    05-26-09 09:51 PM
    I have a few complicated questions that have to do with the relationship between app memory and some things OTHER than applications.

1. How much do email storage, contacts and calendar entries affect app memory? Is there a rule of thumb, such as 1,000 stored emails = x amount of app memory utilization? In my case, I probably have over 1,000 Outlook contacts and I probably have 75 email folders that contain well over 3,000 stored emails. When I check my folder size in Outlook, it is currently 1,969141kb, but that includes a deleted mail folder that is 1,304,238 kb and my deleted mail does not synch to my Storm. All of my other folders do synch. However, ONLY FROM THE DATE OF ACTIVATION (9/21/08). So, in effect, the only email I could get to from my Storm on 9/21/08 was my Inbox. Ever since that date, every other email that I have filed and not deleted is accessible on my Storm, so the storage grows slowly but steady and I am trying to figure out how much that accumulation of filed email is impacting app memory. I have not installed any new applications in the last couple of months, yet my available app memory after a battery pull seems to be shrinking. Is that due to email storage? I am on BES by the way.

3. For BES users, is there a way to pick which Outlook folders synch up with the Storm and which do not from the Desktop Manager or anywhere else? I checked and I could not find anything. Ideally, I would like to reduce the app memory needs of the Storm by only having my Inbox and a couple other folders synch. But I don't see any way to customize this by user. I'm guessing that the BES Administrator can't do it by user either and that they just have all folders synch by default.

Thanks!
    To check your database sizes, go to Options > Status > press BB/Menu button > click on Database Sizes.
    05-26-09 10:42 PM
    To check your database sizes, go to Options > Status > press BB/Menu button > click on Database Sizes.
    Thanks - that helps! My total database size is 6943.5K with about 85% of that in messages. Not sure how that compares to others but that is not a huge amount of the app memory, is it? Either way, I would still like to figure out how to only have my Inbox and Sent Mail available on my Storm.

So, I take it that.....

Messages 2933/5950K: means 2933 messages taking up 5950K of memory?
    05-26-09 10:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD